Dallas Stars 2023 Playoffs Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

That’s a killer. Dallas should never have lost that fucking game. And we’re going to be without Pavelski moving forward.

Feels a lot like the Ducks series from 2003 when we lost Game 1 in five overtime’s, I think. We were the better team but we were chasing the series from there and lost in six games.

50 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

fucking bullshit.  If we have Pavs they never kill all thos penaties.

you knew it was going to end on some lucky bullshit like that.

Yep. No pressure at all, and the Stars were outskating the fuck out of 'em, and then a freak bounce off a skate that centers the puck perfectly. Fuck me. 

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Just checking in to see if Dumba has been suspended yet. No? Cool.

Sadly, I'm sure he won't be. Saad Yousuf wrote a great (imho) piece on the hit today in The Athletic. Can't disagree with anything he says here, except the part about not thinking Dumba intended to take Pavs out of the game. That was sickening, and I would still be saying that if the roles were reversed. Full disclosure: I haven't played hockey, and I haven't watched as much hockey as many of you have. However, as I watched last night, I figured the hit was pretty much a lock for a major penalty, even if just based on how late it was, and given Dumba's propensity for blindside cheapshots. That kind of hit would easily get you ejected in many other sports, and imho it was clearly intended to put Pavs out of the game, if not completely out of the series, which it may have done. The Wild's only chance to win this series is to be so physical that it takes the Stars completely out of their game. If they're going to be allowed to do so much of the shit they did last night with little or no consequence, then the Stars definitely have their work cut out for them.

Yousuf: If Matt Dumba’s hit on Stars’ Joe Pavelski is legal, it’s time to adjust the rulebook

https://theathletic.com/4423776/2023/04/18/matt-dumba-joe-pavelski-stars-wild/

1 minute ago, wood said:

Sadly, I'm sure he won't be. Saad Yousuf wrote a great (imho) piece on the hit today in The Athletic. Can't disagree with anything he says here, except the part about not thinking Dumba intended to take Pavs out of the game. That was sickening, and I would still be saying that if the roles were reversed. Full disclosure: I haven't played hockey, and I haven't watched as much hockey as many of you have. However, as I watched last night, I figured the hit was pretty much a lock for a major penalty, even if just based on how late it was, and given Dumba's propensity for blindside cheapshots. That kind of hit would easily get you ejected in many other sports, and imho it was clearly intended to put Pavs out of the game, if not completely out of the series, which it may have done. The Wild's only chance to win this series is to be so physical that it takes the Stars completely out of their game. If they're going to be allowed to do so much of the shit they did last night with little or no consequence, then the Stars definitely have their work cut out for them.

Yousuf: If Matt Dumba’s hit on Stars’ Joe Pavelski is legal, it’s time to adjust the rulebook

https://theathletic.com/4423776/2023/04/18/matt-dumba-joe-pavelski-stars-wild/

Dumba will not be fined nor suspended.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/36221221/stars-joe-pavelski-helped-hit-wild-matt-dumba

A source told ESPN's Greg Wyshynski that the NHL Department of Player Safety decided not to have a hearing for Dumba after reviewing the play. Hence, the Minnesota defenseman will not be fined nor suspended for his hit on Pavelski.

Player Safety was focused on Dumba's timing. Although he received a minor penalty for roughing on the play, NHL Player Safety viewed Dumba's hit as close to being late but within the allowable window for him to check Pavelski after the Dallas forward had released the puck.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wait, so the fact that he launched upward into his head isn’t a problem?

and he skates backwards into him and looks at him for a good 20 feet while doing it.  He was lining him up for a hit, raises his shoulder and launches.  not attempting to do anything other than that.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and he skates backwards into him and looks at him for a good 20 feet while doing it.  He was lining him up for a hit, raises his shoulder and launches.  not attempting to do anything other than that.

Yeah it looked like he was going for a hip check, then he planted his skate and uncoiled upward as much as forward, to me.  

tough to call though. Wasn’t facing the boards so isn’t boarding, didn’t leave his feet or take strides so not really charging either. Is that action really only 2 minutes for roughing?   Apparently the nhl thinks so. Dumba seems to think it wasn’t a penalty at all, or is acting innocent for one reason or another. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah it looked like he was going for a hip check, then he planted his skate and uncoiled upward as much as forward, to me.  

tough to call though. Wasn’t facing the boards so isn’t boarding, didn’t leave his feet or take strides so not really charging either. Is that action really only 2 minutes for roughing?   Apparently the nhl thinks so. Dumba seems to think it wasn’t a penalty at all, or is acting innocent for one reason or another. 

Those who think it was nothing more than a minor penalty seem to be hanging their hats on two things: it was Dumba's stick that made contact with Pavelski's face and Pavelski's head hitting the ice being the thing that caused him to be knocked woozy.

29 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Those who think it was nothing more than a minor penalty seem to be hanging their hats on two things: it was Dumba's stick that made contact with Pavelski's face and Pavelski's head hitting the ice being the thing that caused him to be knocked woozy.

Yeah I don't understand how it being Dumba's stick makes it any better, because, you know ... it was Dumba's stick ffs. If he had hit him in the head with only his stick, that would also be illegal all by itself. And from what I can tell, Pavs was out already on the way down, which is why he hit his head on the ice in the first place. 

Edited by wood

After ticket prices cratered last night looks like the Stars got half a clue and reduced their absurd pricing for single game tix.  Still way overpriced from where the secondary market landed but prime seats reduced from $350 to $275 face.  A ton of tickets (both from the Stars and secondary) went unsold last night which doesn't help home ice.  I think prices will crater again tomorrow.  I'm on the fence trying to make it.  That's a late night to have to get home from arena but big f'n game.  Hate these start times.

that sucked. a lot. losing pavs was worse than losing the game. I haven't felt that ill after an injury in a while. I felt helpless as fuck and you know the guys were feeling it 10X more. hope they channel that into the ass beating that team deserves.

so who do we call up? can we pull Stankoven out of his playoffs?

• Rage+1 1

My bad. I see now that it wasn't Dumba's stick. Looks like a combo of Pavs's stick and 38's stick. Nobody's talking about a high stick from 38. Still dirty AF. No way to convince me otherwise. Dumba has a history of this shit. For starters, from the article ....

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and it is late.  I hope we get a big lead and then take 3 or 4 nice 2 minute roughing penalties from the call up.

Yep. Look where the puck is when Dumba finally hits Pavs. It's already bounced off the iron and is about to hit the end wall. 'Not late/within acceptable limits' my ass.  And of course, it's to the head. I've read people say he didn't finish high, too. The fuck he didn't.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

and it is late.  I hope we get a big lead and then take 3 or 4 nice 2 minute roughing penalties from the call up.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep. Look where the puck is when Dumba finally hits Pavs. It's already bounced off the iron and is about to hit the end wall. 'Not late/within acceptable limits' my ass.  And of course, it's to the head. I've read people say he didn't finish high, too. The fuck he didn't.

The bottom line is that it was a dirty play that knocked out one of the game's elite players, possibly for a considerable amount of time (with a head injury, mind you) -- and the transgressor is skating scot-free. Is that really what the NHL wants? You can have a hard-nosed, exciting game and clean that bullshit up really fucking quick. But hur-dur, Old Time Hockey, man.

• Hook 'Em 1

DeBoer on Pavelski this AM: "I talked to him. He came in this morning. He's in concussion protocol -- I don't think that's a secret -- and just getting better every day. So, he looked better today from my perspective in talking to him. I remember the last time he went through that, obviously, I was front-and-center for that in San Jose and you know, I think he was in a much worse place that time than he was this time although still, obviously, pretty bad."

Missed most of G1. Was exhausted and couldn't stay awake. 

Looks like we need to fuck this Dumba guy up tonight. 

Weird that the concussion stuff hasn't come home to roost in the NHL yet. Obviously football was the first to take it more seriously and soccer wasn't far behind. 

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The bottom line is that it was a dirty play that knocked out one of the game's elite players, possibly for a considerable amount of time (with a head injury, mind you) -- and the transgressor is skating scot-free. Is that really what the NHL wants? You can have a hard-nosed, exciting game and clean that bullshit up really fucking quick. But hur-dur, Old Time Hockey, man.

Exactly. You can still have a very physical game, agressive game without allowing headhunting cheapshots that are obviously intended to take key players out of games/series.

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Missed most of G1. Was exhausted and couldn't stay awake. 

Looks like we need to fuck this Dumba guy up tonight. 

Weird that the concussion stuff hasn't come home to roost in the NHL yet. Obviously football was the first to take it more seriously and soccer wasn't far behind. 

Ben Lovejoy would like to have word. He already offered to donate his brain to science. He's pretty front and center from the players' side on the seriousness of CTE

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Ben Lovejoy would like to have word. He already offered to donate his brain to science. He's pretty front and center from the players' side on the seriousness of CTE

No idea how accurate this is, but I read yesterday that of the 13 brains of deceased NHL players that have been studied, 12 of them showed CTE, but the league still won't acknowledge CTE officially, 

Edited by wood