NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm just wondering what the point of that trade was if the guy you gave up a war chest for isn't going to show up when it matters in the playoffs. Especially with what Markannen did this season. 

Maybe they just need a coaching change. I don't think that's going to turn Mitchell into a championship #1, though. Granted there may be fewer than 10 of those guys. 

I mean - he's getting outplayed by a guy that New York didn't have to do anything but draw up a contract for. 

Yeah I get it, it was a swing for the fences to get another young all-star on an up and coming team. You also have to consider that teams like Cleveland aren't going to attract other all stars, no matter how good they get. Guys like Mitchell aren't going to sign a max there as a free agent, so they have to trade for players that become available.  Getting a guy like him with 4 years of control at a reasonable rate isn't a bad deal, they still have to grow a bit and tweak the team to fit the personnel. Brunson had a bit of a Kawhi effect going on with his dad choosing the Knicks for him well in advance of his free agency, but part of the draw is NYC too. Small market teams like the Cavs don't get that luxury, they have to make trades or draft well to build a contender. 

I think Mitchell can be the number 1 guy, but like most offensive minded guards, he needs a defensive minded guard on the other side of him to succeed. He needs a Klay Thompson type, 3+D SG/SF to fit next to him, and Garland isn't that guy. I personally think more of Mitchell's game and future than Garland at this point, which is why I would throw around the idea of sending Garland out if we got the right kind of 3+D guy back in return. Bridges would be ideal, as the Nets need a future Allstar to build around, and Garland might fit their timeline better.  

Losing Lauri in the process kind of hurts, it would have been better to dump Kevin Love in trade for sure, but Utah didn't want his buyout.  Lauri was a bit redundant for the Cavs though, as he's a power forward like Mobley, but isn't a good defender. Maybe he would have worked out as a stretch 4, with Mobley moving to the 5 while both are on the floor, but that means benching Allen. He didn't really fit with the Cavs future, he makes nearly 20m a year, and is overachieving in Utah because he's putting up stats on a bad team. I don't think his current numbers are sustainable on a team with better players around him, but if I'm Utah, I would trade him this offseason to cash in on his peak value. 

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's A young team with a mediocre coach, they will get better. I would rather have Mitchell than Garland, so if push comes to shove, trading Garland may be in the future of the Cavs to refine the team. If they could swing a trade of him to the Nets for Bridges, I think they would really be something. They really need that wing defender that isn't an offensive liability. He can help on defense and make the other team work harder while opening up the floor more. The Knicks barely have to guard Okoro, and LeVert is not a great fit at the 3.

Garland and Mitchell just aren't a great fit together, it feels like the Lillard/McCollum issue the Blazers had years ago. 2 great scorers, but lack of size and defense makes them vulnerable in the playoffs. Garland should fetch a good haul if they do trade him, just need to get a plus defender at the 1/2/3 spot in return.  Defense is what got the Cavs to 51 wins this season, but it hasn't been stellar in the playoffs so far.

I have quite a few thoughts on Mitchell (am out of town on business this week) - if I have time later will post (I know everyone is waiting with bated breath).

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This was the play where it happened:

Kobe won a championship in 2010 with a broken finger, so hopefully Fox can still play. 

The very real thing of defenses not letting opponents see the ball go in after the whistle in the playoffs will always be fascinating to me. Anthony Davis has been hopping around like a bunny to block meaningless shots and catch threes in mid-air.

37 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

and is overachieving in Utah because he's putting up stats on a bad team. I don't think his current numbers are sustainable on a team with better players around him, but if I'm Utah, I would trade him this offseason to cash in on his peak value. 

Utah was 32 and 34 when Lauri played and he was by far the best player on that team. I'm rating him a little bit higher than "good stats on a bad team". I don't think CLE really knew what they had with him but that may be part of the problem. 

I like Garland a lot but you're right that he's a bit superfluous with Mitchell. They either need to move some more stuff around or make a coaching change or both and then hope that Mobley takes a leap. 

As for having to trade when guys like Mitchell become available - you're not wrong. But it's possible they could have been a bit more patient. How much worse would they have been this season with Lauri and Sexton instead of Mitchell? 4 or 5 games maybe?