NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized Okogie hasn't played any minutes. 

Where does Monty Williams come up with this shit? 

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Heart hurts for Durant--he really does leave it all on the court, even on an "off" night--but I will be very happy for Jokic.

It's a shame because if he was shooting better Denver would only be up 22 points at half. 

• Haha 1

Suns made the best run they could at Denver. As lackluster as Ayton is and as old as CP is it's somewhat problematic when your 3-9 in a game 6 is Landale, Payne, Shamet, Craig, Biyombo and Ross. Do any of those guys even get minutes for the Nuggets?

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Suns made the best run they could at Denver. As lackluster as Ayton is and as old as CP is it's somewhat problematic when your 3-9 in a game 6 is Landale, Payne, Shamet, Craig, Biyombo and Ross. Do any of those guys even get minutes for the Nuggets?

Cam Payne stinks, but tonight he showed better than a typical 3rd option. 1 and 2 forgot to bring it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Doc Rivers is a horrible coach.  Maxey lost key moments with his wild hero long range shots.  Sixers are dead, will Harden stay? 

This has been the "Choker Series"

With two days off, won't be surprised to see a rested philly win in boston on sunday...

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lulz. 

346073285_1225998408044049_2702055434518

Is that for real? A real headline?

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Durant took the same number of 3s as I did.

I saw none of the games last night and thought you were just jagging. I looked at the box, amazing, he took none. Terrible box score for him. I looked at Harden’s too, awful.

I saw none of the games last night and thought you were just jagging. I looked at the box, amazing, he took none. Terrible box score for him. I looked at Harden’s too, awful.
Sure is. Was a quote from an interview during the 2021 Finals

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10011119-suns-chris-paul-says-hes-now-sort-of-addicted-to-playing-in-nba-finals.amp.html

Phoenix has Durant and Booker for another 3 years. My bet is KD is a top 10 guy for the balance of that contract and Booker is top 10 as well. The deal made perfect sense and was great for them- they might not win a title with this team but they sure as shit weren’t winning it with the assets they traded to Brooklyn, and the fans know they have an owner who isn’t a worthless shit head and who wants to win. 
having a Booker and KD is a great start. They just have to figure out how to turn the rest of their cast into something like (I’m just picking names of types of guys- and quality of players here not saying it actually has to be this dude) Jarret Allen, Caruso and Kyle Kuzma. You know/ less than stars but decent role players that will surround KD and Booker. What the Lakers did in retooling around LBJ and AD this trade deadline. 
They did the hard part in getting two top 10 players that can play well together. The rest of this shit is much easier. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Phoenix has Durant and Booker for another 3 years. My bet is KD is a top 10 guy for the balance of that contract and Booker is top 10 as well. The deal made perfect sense and was great for them- they might not win a title with this team but they sure as shit weren’t winning it with the assets they traded to Brooklyn, and the fans know they have an owner who isn’t a worthless shit head and who wants to win. 
having a Booker and KD is a great start. They just have to figure out how to turn the rest of their cast into something like (I’m just picking names of types of guys- and quality of players here not saying it actually has to be this dude) Jarret Allen, Caruso and Kyle Kuzma. You know/ less than stars but decent role players that will surround KD and Booker. What the Lakers did in retooling around LBJ and AD this trade deadline. 
They did the hard part in getting two top 10 players that can play well together. The rest of this shit is much easier. 

Phoenix is more fucked than the Lakers were. The Lakers waited out Westbrook's expiring contract and were able to retool at the deadline spending minimal draft capital. Phoenix can't trade any more picks -- Brooklyn has them all. They are up against the new tax apron, meaning that they are going to be handcuffed even more going forward. It's not just financial penalties any more, the new CBA is punitive toward roster building. As it stands, they probably won't even have the taxpayer midlevel exception to spend on free agents. They really don't have many options.

I honestly don't know that they are better off today than they were before they traded for KD. Props to them for pushing all their chips in, but there's a decent chance that trade ages just slightly better than the Rudy Gobert deal. And let's face it... KD will be on the wrong side of 35 when next season starts and you can't count on him to play a full season. CP3 is 38 and declining rapidly. The only asset they have to move is Ayton, and his stock is at an all time low. They can try to move off of Chris Pauls' partially guaranteed deal but I'm not sure exactly how other than waiving him. Personally, I think they're screwed.

Offseason prediction: They shitcan Monty Williams (and God knows he deserves it) and Isiah Thomas takes a more prominent role in the organization. It's going to be a slow motion trainwreck.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Taking Denver to 6 games isn't a bad 1st year for these guys. The way that it fell apart is concerning and they obviously need to make some serious moves (I'd recommend finding a new coach and waiving CP to start) but Durant and Booker proved that they're an elite, elite duo. Any Denver fan telling me they weren't a little bit nervous at halftime of game 5 is full of shit. 

The move with Ayton is letting him spend an offseason with Durant and hoping he comes out playing well to start the season. You need to get his trade stock as high as possible, and say he actually takes a big step (I wouldn't fucking count on it) maybe you hang onto him and just see what happens. But you can't have both his and CP's contract weighing KD and Booker down. I mean they played that G6 without $65 million of cap space on the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Taking Denver to 6 games isn't a bad 1st year for these guys. The way that it fell apart is concerning and they obviously need to make some serious moves (I'd recommend finding a new coach and waiving CP to start) but Durant and Booker proved that they're an elite, elite duo. Any Denver fan telling me they weren't a little bit nervous at halftime of game 5 is full of shit. 

The move with Ayton is letting him spend an offseason with Durant and hoping he comes out playing well to start the season. You need to get his trade stock as high as possible, and say he actually takes a big step (I wouldn't fucking count on it) maybe you hang onto him and just see what happens. But you can't have both his and CP's contract weighing KD and Booker down. I mean they played that G6 without $65 million of cap space on the floor. 

Yep. KD and Booker is as good a top 2 player start as anyone has in the NBA to win it all over the next couple years. Need better coaching.  Need more efficient use of the rest of their cap. But it’s a really good short term start. 

27 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Phoenix is more fucked than the Lakers were. The Lakers waited out Westbrook's expiring contract and were able to retool at the deadline spending minimal draft capital. Phoenix can't trade any more picks -- Brooklyn has them all. They are up against the new tax apron, meaning that they are going to be handcuffed even more going forward. It's not just financial penalties any more, the new CBA is punitive toward roster building. As it stands, they probably won't even have the taxpayer midlevel exception to spend on free agents. They really don't have many options.

I honestly don't know that they are better off today than they were before they traded for KD. Props to them for pushing all their chips in, but there's a decent chance that trade ages just slightly better than the Rudy Gobert deal. And let's face it... KD will be on the wrong side of 35 when next season starts and you can't count on him to play a full season. CP3 is 38 and declining rapidly. The only asset they have to move is Ayton, and his stock is at an all time low. They can try to move off of Chris Pauls' partially guaranteed deal but I'm not sure exactly how other than waiving him. Personally, I think they're screwed.

Offseason prediction: They shitcan Monty Williams (and God knows he deserves it) and Isiah Thomas takes a more prominent role in the organization. It's going to be a slow motion trainwreck.

I think they can get off Ayton and CP3 easily enough if they want to. What if they called Houston and offered Ayton for a protected second rounder that would never convey?  After houston flailed around and failed to use their 70M in cap space. Would Housotn say no to that?  So that’s like literally worst case scenario. 
CP3 has 30M in Cap but only 15 guaranteed. They could presumably trade him to someone that might like him for a year- or use that to get out of some bad money. What wouldndallas say to CP3 for Java me McGee, Tim Hardaway jr and Josh Green as a for example?  Or just waive CP3 and take the cap hit. 

I think Ishbia is really smart. I think the NBA is way more about your best 2 players than your weakest link. I think I’d rather be Phoenix going into the off-season than maybe all but 5 teams. 

On 4/21/2023 at 4:25 PM, Vic Mackey said:

.e66beef91477dd9f80e378c4958ec814.jpg

On 4/22/2023 at 3:13 PM, Slacks said:

Jimmy Butler and Trae Young get shitty teams into the playoffs and make them competitive.

Jimmy Butler just be hoopin. The people who think he's overrated are people that aren't rated. Dude is a fucking maniac in the playoffs.

Jimmy Butler and Trae Young get shitty teams into the playoffs and make them competitive.

Jimmy Butler just be hoopin. The people who think he's overrated are people that aren't rated. Dude is a fucking maniac in the playoffs.

f this website sometimes.

5 minutes ago, Slacks said:

f this website sometimes.

You can say that again, and again.

52 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

but there's a decent chance that trade ages just slightly better than the Rudy Gobert deal.

Those trades are barely comparable at best and you know that. Give me a break. 

By the way - Phoenix wouldn't have had to give up as much as they did if the dipshit Timberwolves didn't set the market like that. 

Edited by ztejas

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think they can get off Ayton and CP3 easily enough if they want to. What if they called Houston and offered Ayton for a protected second rounder that would never convey?  After houston flailed around and failed to use their 70M in cap space. Would Housotn say no to that?  So that’s like literally worst case scenario. 
CP3 has 30M in Cap but only 15 guaranteed. They could presumably trade him to someone that might like him for a year- or use that to get out of some bad money. What wouldndallas say to CP3 for Java me McGee, Tim Hardaway jr and Josh Green as a for example?  Or just waive CP3 and take the cap hit. 

I think Ishbia is really smart. I think the NBA is way more about your best 2 players than your weakest link. I think I’d rather be Phoenix going into the off-season than maybe all but 5 teams. 

They can't just trade Ayton into Houston's cap space. It doesn't work like that. They have to take salary back and the Rockets don't have enough contracts to make that happen without giving up some real assets. You think Phoenix is signing up for the $15 million/yr Kevin Porter experience? Me neither. I suppose they could sign and trade somebody, but what does that look like? 

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

By the way - Phoenix wouldn't have had to give up as much as they did if the dipshit Timberwolves didn't set the market like that. 

Fair enough. They aren't comparable because KD is a million x better player than Gobert. And for sure the Twolves fucked themselves and the market beyond recognition. I suppose we owe them a debt of gratitude for the Dejounte Murray trade. That said, Mikal Bridges is 26 on a very reasonable contract and an iron man who is only getting better. Cam Johnson is also 26 and a 20 ppg scorer. Kevin Durant is 35 and has played 137 games over the past three seasons combined. The dude got injured in a fucking pre-game layup line this season. I don't see how Phoenix is going to build out that roster and those picks and swaps are only going to become more valuable the older he gets. I don't trust their owner. He's been there for five minutes, made just about the brashest move possible and is seeking the consult of Isiah Thomas, who has turned everything he's ever touched to shit since ending his playing days. Zeke is like a coprophilic King Midas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fair enough. They aren't comparable because KD is a million x better player than Gobert. And for sure the Twolves fucked themselves and the market beyond recognition. I suppose we owe them a debt of gratitude for the Dejounte Murray trade. That said, Mikal Bridges is 26 on a very reasonable contract and an iron man who is only getting better. Cam Johnson is also 26 and a 20 ppg scorer. Kevin Durant is 35 and has played 137 games over the past three seasons combined. The dude got injured in a fucking pre-game layup line this season. I don't see how Phoenix is going to build out that roster and those picks and swaps are only going to become more valuable the older he gets. I don't trust their owner. He's been there for five minutes, made just about the brashest move possible and is seeking the consult of Isiah Thomas, who has turned everything he's ever touched to shit since ending his playing days. Zeke is like a coprophilic King Midas. 
I don't think Ishbia is the basketball savant some seem to think. My guess is he brought in Isiah Thomas because he was a Pistons fan growing up, not because IT is a good basketball executive.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

All good stuff. The KD trade may wind up being a bad one. I just think that Gobert deal is on another level even if Bridges turns into Tracy McGrady, Durant tears his other Achilles and Gobert finds a killer jumper from 18 feet.

The crazy thing about the Gobert trade is that they're banking on Ant resigning. At least PHO already had Booker signed through 2028 - so they had a firm window they needed to try and strike during. I know we haven't seen the rookie super declined yet but it could happen. Then they'd really have their dicks in their hands. 

Jury is obviously out on Ishbia. There's really no fucking way he can be as bad as Sarver - granted that bar is buried in the marina trench. He's proven he isn't afraid to shake it up. He wants to spend money. I just wonder if he's going to fall into the trap of "well let's just run it back with Monty and Chris Paul - KD wasn't here a full season and CP got injured" or if he's actually going to tell Monty to take a hike and hold Chris Paul's hands in his while he looks him in the eyes and tells him "You need to fucking retire. Here's a check for 15 million dollars. There's the door."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They can't just trade Ayton into Houston's cap space. It doesn't work like that. They have to take salary back and the Rockets don't have enough contracts to make that happen without giving up some real assets. You think Phoenix is signing up for the $15 million/yr Kevin Porter experience? Me neither. I suppose they could sign and trade somebody, but what does that look like? 

Huh?  I thought that was the entire point of trading into empty cap space- there doesn’t need to be any money coming back if the contract fits entirely under.  Isn’t that how OKC laundered their cap space for 2 or 3 years?  

“Fuck your market”

-Tim Connolly

Phoenix was still going to have to salary match with valuable depth. They still would’ve sucked beyond their 2 stars.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Phoenix was still going to have to salary match with valuable depth. They still would’ve sucked beyond their 2 stars.

Either way their bench was going to be shitty and they'd have the DA and CP contracts weighing them down. Their flameout last season was worse and it was against a worse team and Mikal and Cam were on the roster. And they had just won 66 games and had a season's worth of continuity. The only "depth" they sacrificed this season was Cam Johnson's minutes and production minus TJ Warren's. It's fairly significant, but not once you weigh Durant's impact vs. Bridges. 

Every team in the league would trade Mikal and Cam for KD. It's the 4 first rounders that could come back to bite PHO. The 21st pick in the draft could have contributed to next year's team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/10/2023 at 1:03 PM, LTtxfan said:

🚨 The Boston coach seems worthless  🚨

Last night I heard an analyst say the celtic players wanted 2 bigs together on the floor to help slow down philly scoring, and the players had to convince their coach to try it for Game 6.

giphy.gif

Similar line-up worked in the past against Philly when the celtics were coached by Ime Udoka...

Hey Coach Mazzulla...

giphy.gif