NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Selecting Fultz over Tatum (and maybe to a lesser extent choosing to pay Tobias instead of Butler) will forever be the great what-if for Philly fans.

I see this said a lot, but as I understand it, Butler was gone no matter what. He never considered going back to Philly, and in response, Philly doubled down on Tobias and said "we got our guy!" to pretend like they were doing the right thing. 

It's still crazy to me that the Butler 76ers were 1 fluke Kawhi shot away from getting to the Finals and facing a KD-less broke down Warriors team. What a totally different landscape we would have in the NBA if that had happened and the 76ers won that year. I know it's the weakest championship in the last 30 years or so, but it's still a championship. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Sixers autopsy is impossible. As I've said before, The Process totally worked in terms of getting them the picks and financial flexibility to build a champion. But they botched so many of those decisions, some of which was forced on them by the NBA installing an incompetent Colangelo for a while. No one thought Simmons or Fultz would be such disasters, OTOH everyone called Jah Okafor a reach and trading Mikal Bridges insanity.

Ownership and the front office (even Sam Hinkie) are crypto/metaverse believers and the franchise is a good metaphor -- shiny objects and lots of promises, but ultimately no better results than anyone else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Watching Toronto dismantle GS in that Finals was pretty damn satisfying as I recall. Made the careers for guys like Siakam and Anunoby. 

Curry dislocated his finger in the WCF with Houston, but kept playing. It seemed to bother him a bit during the Houston series, but he was OK for the Finals. 

Klay missed a game or two in the Finals with a knee injury, and then ended up tearing his ACL in Game 6. 

KD had a calf strain during the WCF, then played like 10 minutes and worsened his injury by tearing his ACL in the Finals.

Cousins missed the playoffs with a torn quad.

Looney fractured his collarbone in the Finals, but kept playing, obviously hurt. 

Iggy had some issues with his hamstring throughout the playoffs and missed some games. 

It was an enormous amount of injuries for a single team to encounter, and made them a lame opponent for the Raptors. I think if that Warriors team is healthy, without Durant, would beat the Raptors in 6, but there were just too many guys missing time, or being significantly hampered. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Embiid is right. Him and Harden can't and never will win shit

There’s guys you can say this about with certainty. James Harden will never win a title. Embiid’s postgame comments were ill-advised, especially when neither guy up there did anything remotely well. Embiid at this point is still not a leader and with Glenn Rivers as his coach you can bet he isn’t going to change.

Tyrese Maxey should run from this franchise as soon as he possibly can. Playing 3rd banana on this roster is a waste of his skill set. Put him in a free flowing offensive system where his abilities are a much better fit than his current situation. If I were Golden State I would at least put in a call and see if they want to move a bad contract like the one Harris has if it meant landing him. You have to at least kick the tires with a player like Maxey.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

There’s guys you can say this about with certainty. James Harden will never win a title. Embiid’s postgame comments were ill-advised, especially when neither guy up there did anything remotely well. Embiid at this point is still not a leader and with Glenn Rivers as his coach you can bet he isn’t going to change.

Tyrese Maxey should run from this franchise as soon as he possibly can. Playing 3rd banana on this roster is a waste of his skill set. Put him in a free flowing offensive system where his abilities are a much better fit than his current situation. If I were Golden State I would at least put in a call and see if they want to move a bad contract like the one Harris has if it meant landing him. You have to at least kick the tires with a player like Maxey.

Yep.  Tyrese would thrive at GSW.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Good. They were gifted a championship the prior year when Houston was up 3-2 before Chris Paul hurt hamstring.

Right. Because it's not like Chris Paul hurts his hamstring in the playoffs every fucking year.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Harden said Doc was ok.  

Doc is the kind of coach you'd want for your kids elementary school team. Doesn't push them too hard, doesn't run any plays, just lets them go out there and have some fun.

Perfect for your kids 2nd grade team and terrible for the NBA

• Like 1

Doc is the kind of coach you'd want for your kids elementary school team. Doesn't push them too hard, doesn't run any plays, just lets them go out there and have some fun.

Perfect for your kids 2nd grade team and James Harden but terrible for the NBA

FIFM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Perfect for your kids 2nd grade team and terrible for the NBA

Dude I went to my nephews basketball game last week. His coach sucked.  Other coach didn’t.  It sucked to watch

• Haha 2

Does your nephew play for the Sixers???!?!?!?!

Amazing that a veteran coach like Doc got completely out-coached by a dude who should still be an assistant except his boss couldn't keep his dick in his pants

The Sixers had no plays, no adjustments, no nothing. Just go out there and have fun, boys!

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Didn’t score a single point in the 4th quarters of Games 5-7. 

“Not uniquely bad in the playoffs” - WuLaw

If you put Harden on your roster you are guaranteed that he will disappear in big games. If he is your 2nd best player then you team does not have a 2nd best player. You just have a guy who flashes brilliance at times and then also just no-shows when you need him most. Why Morey has the fascination with him is odd, but seems to be worthy of a psychologist studying him a bit if one were so inclined to do so.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

MVPMVPMVP!!

346281525_581190674106543_85565933894420

He got hurt. 

I know he's always hurt but he was dragging ass up and down the court pretty bad in this playoffs.

Jokic was the real MVP everyone knows it but doesn't want to keep giving it to em..

9 minutes ago, Zeus said:

He got hurt. 

I know he's always hurt but he was dragging ass up and down the court pretty bad in this playoffs.

Jokic was the real MVP everyone knows it but doesn't want to keep giving it to em..

Prime Jordan didn’t win it a few times.  Spreading it around a little bit is not a new thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Good. They were gifted a championship the prior year when Houston was up 3-2 before Chris Paul hurt hamstring.

And the year before that, when the Spurs were running them out of their own gym until Zaza took out Kawhi.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And the year before that, when the Spurs were running them out of their own gym until Zaza took out Kawhi.
Go back to 2015 when their entire run consisted of them playing teams who had major injuries. Including the Finals where Kyrie and Love were hurt. Delladova was the 2nd best player for Cleveland.
  • Hook 'Em 1

JJ Redick brought up an interesting point. There are only 5 guys left in the league who have been the best player on a championship team: LeBron, Steph, Kawhi, KD, and Giannis. Depending on your thoughts on the current LeBron/AD hierarchy, we're guaranteed to have a 6th in a few weeks between AD, Tatum, Jimmy, and Jokic.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Jokic: 8 pts, 12 reb, 5 ast in the 1Q.

first player in nba history to ever grab 12 boards and five assists in any one quarter in the playoffs. every three weeks for the last three years jokic does some "first player since wilt/first player ever" shit, and i never get tired of it.

• Like 1

I think Jokic is big and physical enough to prevent AD from going off offensively most night. As great as AD is defensively, I do not believe that the inverse is true. No one player can slow down Jokic. Transcendent offense beats great defense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think Jokic is big and physical enough to prevent AD from going off offensively most night. As great as AD is defensively, I do not believe that the inverse is true. No one player can slow down Jokic. Transcendent offense beats great defense.

yup. in the 80's and 90's the ole "defense wins championships" axiom was true. ghat was a long time ago. elite offense >>> elite defense, in every major sport worldwide. 

Edited by shadow_operative

200.gif

giphy.gif

This version of Denver is damn near impossible to beat. “The other guys” are all shooting at or near 50%. And they’re keeping and or extending leads( again) when joker is sitting and resting. If teams can’t take advantage of joker on the bench, may as well pack it up for the night
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yup. in the 80's and 90's the ole "defense wins championships" axiom was true. ghat was a long time ago. elite offense >>> elite defense, in every major sport worldwide. 

I wouldn't go quite that far. Every year in the playoffs, the best defensive teams tend to be among the last teams playing. Boston and Golden State were 1/2 in defense last year. There's a reason that the Lakers are there, and it ain't their deadly 3 point shooting.

BUT I'll take "good enough" defensively and record-breaking offense over great defense and limited offense. Gotta have both.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I wouldn't go quite that far. Every year in the playoffs, the best defensive teams tend to be among the last teams playing. Boston and Golden State were 1/2 in defense last year. There's a reason that the Lakers are there, and it ain't their deadly 3 point shooting.

BUT I'll take "good enough" defensively and record-breaking offense over great defense and limited offense. Gotta have both.

defense still matters, but end-of-game situations tend to be dominated by offensive talent in every sport these days, by design. and beyond that, you'd be better off taking the better offense in any random title game than you would the best defense. sale goes for the team with the best offensive player in the nba.

• Hook 'Em 1