NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw Boston start 0-10 from 3 and saw Miami really commit to its effective zone defense, I knew this one was over. The big question is whether Mazzulla Rodney Terry'd his way to keeping his job by reaching game 7. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Underdog said:

Honestly thought no fucking way... Props to the Heat for this performance. 

Miami played well and deserved the series win. It's an impressive run they've had and will be interesting to see if Herro comes back.

And Boston is just terrible. So glad both Boston and LA lost. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sal said:

When I saw Boston start 0-10 from 3 and saw Miami really commit to its effective zone defense, I knew this one was over. The big question is whether Mazzulla Rodney Terry'd his way to keeping his job by reaching game 7. 

Rodney Terry has been coach a lot longer than Mazzula. I can't see it. 

7th Finals for Miami since '06 across three different iterations. 

That's pretty damn impressive. Most by any team in that span. Ws 2nd with 6, Cavs 5, Lakers 4, Spurs/Celtics 3.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

7th Finals for Miami since '06 across three different iterations. 

That's pretty damn impressive. Most by any team in that span. Ws 2nd with 6, Cavs 5, Lakers 4, Spurs/Celtics 3.

Pretty sure everyone would take the Warriors 6 in 9 seasons over the Heat's 7 in 18 ;-)

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This Heat team is probably about to get their fucking asses beat but it would be fun if they could take a couple games. 

I think it's going to be a sweep. Truly top to bottom they are outclassed and have no answer for Joker.

33 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Boston deserved that L. I've seen pickup games with better organized offense. Here's an idea, second row Joe: somebody, anybody without the ball, may want to try moving around some. And if you really want to get crazy, have somebody set a pick. 

I cant even imagine how maddening it is if someone is a C's fan.   Their "offense" has been driving me CRAZY as a basketball fan.   Just HORRIBLE possession after horrible possession.

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Pretty sure everyone would take the Warriors 6 in 9 seasons over the Heat's 7 in 18 😉

What about Golden State's '95 to '12 run where they made the playoffs one time? Equally impressive in a different kind of way. 

I think it's going to be a sweep. Truly top to bottom they are outclassed and have no answer for Joker.

Spo is going to have to get creative. Might need to start Kevin love and have him guard/body joker while bam free safeties things and “covers” Gordon. A line up of Vincent, Strus, Martin, Jimmy and bam are going to get destroyed on the boards.

I guess I didn’t know it was this bad but besides a bubble win, Miami has not beaten denver since March 2018.

James Johnson, Bam, dragic, Josh Richardson and Tyler Johnson were the starters.

I’d say the layoff might hinder Denver but I tried that already when they beat the snot out of the wolves in game 1 by 30 and haven’t played meaningful bball in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

So Boston is who everyone thought they were? What a waste. They need a real offense besides just 3 ball.

They actually had me fooled when I predicted Lakers-Celtics in the finals way back when.

Yeah, they have a stacked team but literally all they do is shoot the 3.   If they are hitting they are unbeatable.   When they start missing they have no plan B.   Just keep chucking.    Its maddening to watch.

• Like 1

#TeamNuggets - nothing against Miami as they’ve won a few already but have always liked Denver the same way I have for Phoenix, sans the D’Antoni days.  Skywalker, Issel, English, Fat Lever, Kiki, Bobby Jones… They had some fun teams in their history. 

• Like 1

it really should be a sweep. this is LAL vs ORL all over again. Denver is so, so much better than the heat, and the further down the roster you go the more that becomes true. now michael malone has been able to sit around and study 7 games worth of everything that Miami can possibly present. if the game 1 spread is anything less than denver -15 (i'm guessing it'll be -8.5 or -9.5) you might want to bet the house, the car, and the kids on the nuggets, because it should be a 15-20 point game by halftime.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

it really should be a sweep. this is LAL vs ORL all over again.

Well that wasn't a sweep, so...

Miami is going to take at least one game. I think they manage to steal a couple. 

the eastern conference <<<< the west. just look at miami's roster. their big 3 is jimmy (legit), bam (meh), and caleb martin (LOL). jimmy and caleb did everything they could to drag that team through the east, and now they're about to get one day to recover and dave a fully rested juggernaut featuring the best player on the planet. a player as good as lebron in his prime, with a MUCH better supporting cast than what jimmy has. maybe, *maybe* denver experiences some rust from all the time off, but other than that this should be a slaughter.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the eastern conference <<<< the west. just look at miami's roster. their big 3 is jimmy (legit), bam (meh), and caleb martin (LOL). jimmy and caleb did everything they could to drag that team through the east, and now they're about to get one day to recover and dave a fully rested juggernaut featuring the best player on the planet. a player as good as lebron in his prime, with a MUCH better supporting cast than what jimmy has. maybe, *maybe* denver experiences some rust from all the time off, but other than that this should be a slaughter.

Miami should get smoked in this series, but I just can't discount them at this point. They lost to the cruddy Hawks in play-in game 1. They should have lost in the second play-in game to Chicago and been sent home. They definitely should have lost to Giannis and Milwaukee. They had no business going up 3-0 on Boston, and then they had no business winning game 7 IN Boston. They are on the most incredible run I've ever seen in an NBA playoff for a non-favorite. And here we are again, with nobody giving them any chance in this series.

But from a 10,000 foot perspective, should we really be that surprised at the Heat? They were in the finals in the bubble in 2020. They got skunked by Milwaukee in 2021 in round 1, but there's really no shame in losing to the eventual champs. And if you think this year's team is thin, check out that 2021 roster. Last year, they had the best regular season record in the East and took Boston to game 7 in the conference finals. This season, they were ravaged by injury so their record sucked but that's a four year run of two finals, one ECF that went 7 games and a first round stinker. That's rather impressive, regardless of how shitty the rest of the conference is. 

On the other side, maybe we're overrating Denver a bit? They dispatched the Wolves easily but so what? Minnesota sucks. Phoenix had no depth to begin with and then lost Chris Paul. And how good were the Lakers really? Their bench and role players other than Austin Reaves really shit the bed in that series. The Nuggets are for sure the class of the league and Jokic is playing at an ultra elite level, but Miami has been in a lot more pressure filled games. Denver has been sitting around for a week now with everybody telling them how great they are and what a cakewalk the finals will be. Do we really know how Denver is going to respond in crunch time in a tight game? Again, I don't think Miami can win this series but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was a long series. 

• Like 3

the eastern conference
Everything you said is true on paper. But on paper, Boston or Milwaukee were supposed to be here. You can't just dismiss what they do on the court. No matter who the opponent is. For whatever reason, they just refuse to play by the rules. And their coach is no slouch either.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Miami should get smoked in this series, but I just can't discount them at this point. They lost to the cruddy Hawks in play-in game 1. They should have lost in the second play-in game to Chicago and been sent home. They definitely should have lost to Giannis and Milwaukee. They had no business going up 3-0 on Boston, and then they had no business winning game 7 IN Boston. They are on the most incredible run I've ever seen in an NBA playoff for a non-favorite. And here we are again, with nobody giving them any chance in this series.
But from a 10,000 foot perspective, should we really be that surprised at the Heat? They were in the finals in the bubble in 2020. They got skunked by Milwaukee in 2021 in round 1, but there's really no shame in losing to the eventual champs. And if you think this year's team is thin, check out that 2021 roster. Last year, they had the best regular season record in the East and took Boston to game 7 in the conference finals. This season, they were ravaged by injury so their record sucked but that's a four year run of two finals, one ECF that went 7 games and a first round stinker. That's rather impressive, regardless of how shitty the rest of the conference is. 
On the other side, maybe we're overrating Denver a bit? They dispatched the Wolves easily but so what? Minnesota sucks. Phoenix had no depth to begin with and then lost Chris Paul. And how good were the Lakers really? Their bench and role players other than Austin Reaves really shit the bed in that series. The Nuggets are for sure the class of the league and Jokic is playing at an ultra elite level, but Miami has been in a lot more pressure filled games. Denver has been sitting around for a week now with everybody telling them how great they are and what a cakewalk the finals will be. Do we really know how Denver is going to respond in crunch time in a tight game? Again, I don't think Miami can win this series but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was a long series. 

We were missing our best defender and best bench player. I feel MN hung with Denver pretty good after the game 1 abortion. I mean we had no big depth for game 5 after Kyle Anderson’s eye was poked out and lost in Denver by 3. A healthy MN team would’ve been Denver’s biggest challenge in their run. But also a healthy MN team we beat LA in the play in or avoid the play in all together and maybe meet denver later on.

That said Miami possesses the greatest equalizer in todays NBA game and that’s 3 point shooting. Vincent/Lowry/strus/Martin/butler/Robinson/Herro and maybe love are all threats

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't agree that we're overrating Denver. I think there's a chance Denver sweeps them. I think one difference between us is that you hate that Phoenix team (don't even try and tell me you don't) and I am unfortunately emotionally tied to them. I also think that Lakers team was pretty damn good but I know we both hate the Lakers.

But gun to my head I think Miami takes two. Overall I believe we're on a similar page. O/U I'd take Denver in 5.5. Just feel like I'm closer to 5.6 than 5.4 because this Heat team is a total enigma and they have easily the best coach in the NBA and a total psychopathic competitor running the show. 

Edited by ztejas