NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting stats and player interviews about Denver home court advantage.

The Nuggets own an all-time home winning percentage of .652. Away from Denver, the Nuggets are .350 all time. That .302 difference between home and road win percentage is the largest for any active franchise in NBA history.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37762170/nba-finals-2023-how-denver-altitude-gives-nuggets-edge

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the stuff he was saying about how jaylen brown just cannot dribble was crazy, but he's not wrong.

Its pretty amazing how bad he is particularly when you consider it was a major criticism last season.   One would hope he would have put in some serious work on his handle and came back much tighter this season but nope

23 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think Joe Mazulla looks like Michael Cera?

Celtics' Joe Mazzulla on past legal troubles: 'I'm not the same person' -  masslive.com

No. I was literally thinking this watching his press conference after G7. 

11 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

He's just not an ambi-dribbler

I can't dribble left!

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Denver -9.0 tonight. 

for the game, or the 1Q? i keed. seriously though, while i've been pretty loud mouthed about what a huge mismatch this is, everywhere i've been looking this week i've been seeing people saying that he should win a couple and giving some fairly compelling reasons why. still, i know i'm in the minority here, but i think that denver just kills the heat, both tonight and for the series. the heat supporting roster is so weak, and i'm not convinced that adding herro back into the mix isn't a bad idea. thank god that tonight the speculations ends and the games begin. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Sometimes he’s the MVP and sometimes he is not and I think he’s probably also cool with that, especially if Denver wins the title. Guys like this that are extremely driven to succeed, but also have a humble nature about them, are somewhat of a rarity in professional sports worldwide. The closest comparison from the same sport would probably be Duncan or Olajuwon at the height of their talents. I could probably throw Dirk in there as well. Speak softly while slowly grinding your opponents into the ground.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

for the game, or the 1Q? i keed. seriously though, while i've been pretty loud mouthed about what a huge mismatch this is, everywhere i've been looking this week i've been seeing people saying that he should win a couple and giving some fairly compelling reasons why. still, i know i'm in the minority here, but i think that denver just kills the heat, both tonight and for the series. the heat supporting roster is so weak, and i'm not convinced that adding herro back into the mix isn't a bad idea. thank god that tonight the speculations ends and the games begin. 

On paper they absolutely demolish them. 

However, basically all of those games with LA were close and PHO took 2 games off of them (granted Miami isn't playing Book next to Jimmy). 

I mean shit, the TWolves took a game off of them. 

I will be absolutely astounded if Miami wins this series (barring major injuries) but I won't be shocked if they take a game or two at home. 

I think their main issue is defending Jokic. LA had AD, MIN had Gobert and KAT to at least throw some size at him, and I'd actually take Durant over Bam around the basket. 

They're going to have to double him or do what Phoenix did and just say fuck it let him get 50 we'll just hope Book and KD give us 90. The problem is MIA isn't putting up 120 - certainly not in DEN. 

But, you know, they play the games for a reason. Spo is a better coach than MM. And that Jim Buckets guy has been problematic.

I think the heat are better than the lakers. They have just as many shooters as denver and a championship pedigree head coach. They’re also probably fairly confident after the game 7 beat down. Denver’s a different animal especially on offense. Guess we’ll see if there’s any rust on the machine too. Look for that early

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

I'm ready for the ol' rest versus rust discussion again. Especially if Miami takes game 1.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm ready for the ol' rest versus rust discussion again. Especially if Miami takes game 1.

Yep.  Neither team has lost a game 1 in the playoffs this year, so that's gonna burst for someone.    Nuggets have won all 3 of theirs convincingly, but Miami has won all 3 on the road.   Nuggets have not lost a home playoff game this year.  Can't wait to get this thing started.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm obviously taking the Nuggets, but the Heat have not lost a Game 1 all playoffs.  All road wins.

I hope it is a competitive series. The Heat are not going to slow down Jokic. Their focus should be on disrupting Murray and Porter. The Finals have two really good coaches so it should lead to sone interesting lineups at times and adjustments.

What a really cool series for the NBA to end on this year before the summer starts and we all focus on an extremely tall teen that might further revolutionize the sport in ways we never thought possible!

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

What a really cool series for the NBA to end on

I agree. I'm not dreading either team winning. And both teams play smart ball and won't fail to show up. Even if Miami gets their asses kicked. 

• Like 2

The contrarian in me wants to see Miami shock the world.  It would be fun listening to the experts figure this one out. But I don't hate Denver so their winning would be ok as well. The main thing is I want 6 good games.

I'm trying to think of a bigger underdog/no name in the last 30 years. Maybe the AI Sixers or the Billups Pistons?

Edited by Brothahorn

30 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I'm trying to think of a bigger underdog/no name in the last 30 years. Maybe the AI Sixers or the Billups Pistons?

I'm not sure what you mean by no name. As far as underdogs: 2007 Cavs, 2009 Magic, 2018 Cavs all high up there. 

I mean the '18 Warriors were fucking -1000 to win. That's over twice what Denver is...

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what you mean by no name. As far as underdogs: 2007 Cavs, 2009 Magic, 2018 Cavs all high up there. 

I mean the '18 Warriors were fucking -1000 to win. That's over twice what Denver is...

No big names, no superstars. No one that Espn/TNT is constantly pumping. Which would remove AI. So a team like the 2008-09 Magic. Howard was a star but he wasn't a superstar. So you take a bunch of guys who just fit together and they made an amazing run. I remember watching Pietus giving LeBron hell in the ECF. And then reality set in. 

Or the last Detroit team that won it all. No superstars. Just solid vets who wouldn't accept the status quo.

Edited by Brothahorn

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

No big names, no superstars. No one that Espn/TNT is constantly pumping. Which would remove AI. So a team like the 2008-09 Magic. Howard was a star but he wasn't a superstar. So you take a bunch of guys who just fit together and they made an amazing run. I remember watching Pietus giving LeBron hell in the ECF. And then reality set in. 

Howard was absolutely a superstar in 2009. So is Jimmy. That '09 Magic team was weird because the drop-off to their 2nd and 3rd best players was so steep.

The '11 Mavs are somewhat similar to this Heat team. But they weren't very big underdogs against MIA. 

Maybe the '18 Cavs is the closest answer? I mean it was still LeBron but that team was fucking dogshit and anyone that participated in the playoffs from the East that season should be embarrassed. That may have been LeBron's most ridiculous accomplishment. Durant had a game in the Finals against them where he tried to get a triple double like when Wilt wanted to lead the league in assists. 

The short answer is that there's never been a team like this Heat team to make the Finals in the modern NBA. I mean they had a fucking negative net rating in the regular season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The contrarian in me wants to see Miami shock the world.  It would be fun listening to the experts figure this one out. But I don't hate Denver so their winning would be ok as well. The main thing is I want 6 good games.

The meltdown in this thread from denver losing would be epic, so rooting for Miami is tempting on that alone.

But I’m pulling for Denver. Flyover city, smaller market, loser franchise for a long while and organically built. Plus they’re really fun to watch
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dude. Guards guarding MPJ and Gordon is a recipe for disaster.

Did you see MPJ up against Caleb Martin? He had 5 inches and 40+ lbs

Are you under the impression that Love is a good defender? 

1 minute ago, gofuckyourself said:

Did Breen just say the Heat's offense is better now that they're healthy and whole in the playoffs?

All these announcers are high, and not just from the altitude.

He also let us know that this is rookie Christian Braun's first NBA Finals game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Denver’s doing a hell of a job at maintaining or extending leads with Joker on the bench resting. Doing it again tonight. They’re -1 with joker getting extensive rest

+1 for Miami with Jimmy on the bench is a win. 

As good as Jokic is Butler is more integral to his team's success. 

Edited by ztejas