NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Are you under the impression Dennis Rodman was the 7th best power forward of all time? 

he's clearly in the top 10.  After my top 5, add KG, who else remains? It's really a short list. The impact of rebounding and defense makes up for the low offense stats. He was indeed a force of nature the likes we will never see again. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

“Isn’t even close” is a bit of a stretch lol

Dirk was the more polished skilled player. KGs defense and passing was superior and rare for a 6’11 big. But dirks skill with the ball separated the 2. Both are easily in that 3-8 top PF of all time list so…

Bomani Jones has made the argument that in 2005, 2006, & 2007. Dirk was arguably the best player in the NBA and is criminally underrated as a result. His Win shares/48 during this period reflects this claim.

KG's inability to get Minnesota out of the first round sans a single time in 2004 tells me that there's no debate between Dirk and KG. KG played with Terrell Brandon, Tom Gugliotta, Malik Sealy, Sam Cassell, Stephon Marbury, Latrell Sprewell, Chauncey Billups, Isaiah Rider, Wally Szczerbiak, Joe Smith, and a number of quality NBA players yet did absolutely nothing with his teams when he was the lead dog. Go look at the rosters Dirk carried to the Finals in his 2 appearances there. From 2007 until Luka arrive Dirk only played with 2 other allstars, Josh Howard & Jason Kidd. Mark Cuban deserves a roster malpractice suit brought against him for how inept he's been at building rosters around star players. 

image.png.7400418ac659616f005f7a7e43853ae9.png

In their sole playoff series against each other Dirk wiped the floor with Garnett averaging 33 and 16 rebs against him in route to a 3-0 sweep. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

If you are qualifying Barkley as a PF it gets more tricky.

Clearly Duncan is #1. Then I would put Dirk, Barkley and then KG. No crime in being #4 on that list.

Duncan is a center in every recognizable understanding of the position. From the position he maintained while on the court to the role he played for the team. Just because Duncan didn't want to be called a center doesn't remove that fact that is the position he provided for his team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

he's clearly in the top 10.  After my top 5, add KG, who else remains? It's really a short list. The impact of rebounding and defense makes up for the low offense stats. He was indeed a force of nature the likes we will never see again. 

Fair. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fair. 

also add Dirk obviously -- Duncan, Barkley, McHale, Malone, Dirk, KG.   Others of note - Shawn Kemp and the sleeper -- Shareef Abdul Raheem - one of the smoothest ballers that few remember - played for Vancouver. And there's Elvin Hayes old school. Certainly a few more I can't remember, Terry Cummings?  Problem for stats is that old school PFs were not meant to be scorers, but the sidekick to the C for boards and defense. The position really doesn't exist anymore.

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

also add Dirk obviously -- Duncan, Barkley, McHale, Malone, Dirk, KG.   Others of note - Shawn Kemp and the sleeper -- Shareef Abdul Raheem - one of the smoothest ballers that few remember - played for Vancouver. And there's Elvin Hayes old school. Certainly a few more I can't remember, Terry Cummings?  Problem for stats is that old school PFs were not meant to be scorers, but the sidekick to the C for boards and defense. The position really doesn't exist anymore.

LaMarcus and Amare debatably. AD is sort of a PF the way Duncan is. 

At the very least, Draymond is a better player than Rodman. 

Simmons had 2-3 other older guys ahead of Rodman on his 2010 list. 

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LaMarcus and Amare debatably. AD is sort of a PF the way Duncan is. 

At the very least, Draymond is a better player than Rodman. 

Simmons had 2-3 other older guys ahead of Rodman on his 2010 list. 

was thinking of Rasheed Wallace who I'd take all day over Draymond Green, who I have very little respect for as a player and zero as a person. 

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

was thinking of Rasheed Wallace who I'd take all day over Draymond Green, who I have very little respect for as a player and zero as a person. 

Draymond blows Sheed out of the water. He's an unlikable cunt but he's a phenomenal player and the best defender of the past decade. You can't be high on Rodman and underrate Dray.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Fuck Karl Malone.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Draymond blows Sheed out of the water. He's an unlikable cunt but he's a phenomenal player and the best defender of the past decade. You can't be high on Rodman and underrate Dray.

Dray isn't even in my top 20.  He'd be just an average guy in the old days when the paint was full of guys like Rick Mahorn and Otis Thorpe. He's better currently because everybody is so spread out making him appear more important, it's an illusion. 

• Like 1

Dray isn't even in my top 20.  He'd be just an average guy in the old days when the paint was full of guys like Rick Mahorn and Otis Thorpe. He's better currently because everybody is so spread out making him appear more important, it's an illusion. 

And those guys you mentioned couldn’t crack a playoff roster in the current days. They are the illusion, not the guy with actual skill at playing basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

And those guys you mentioned couldn’t crack a playoff roster in the current days. They are the illusion, not the guy with actual skill at playing basketball. 

this is false. If Robert Williams PF - Celtics can play major minutes, all my old school can can too, even though the 3 ball does not exist for them or Robert Williams.   Others exist in today's NBA that cant' shoot the 3 but play.

19 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

this is false. If Robert Williams PF - Celtics can play major minutes, all my old school can can too, even though the 3 ball does not exist for them or Robert Williams.   Others exist in today's NBA that cant' shoot the 3 but play.

34 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

This is one of the dumbest fucking things posted in this entire thread. 

Congrats, I guess. There's definitely stiff competition. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

to say Dray is better than Rodman is much worse. That's when I knew you have no idea about the topic. 

Think whatever you want I don't really give a shit. It isn't especially difficult to recognize the most transformative defensive player of a generation but I guess you're up for a challenge. 

13 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Duncan is a center in every recognizable understanding of the position. From the position he maintained while on the court to the role he played for the team. Just because Duncan didn't want to be called a center doesn't remove that fact that is the position he provided for his team. 

This is true for the later stages of his career, interchangeably true for the middle stages of his career, and false up until 2006. Dude did play pure power forward until he started to have knee and foot problems. The beauty of his game is that you could put him anywhere. Same with KG.

Goddamn, what an embarrassment of riches we had to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

You think I’m talking about 3 point shooting ability when the modern player in question is Draymond Green? Christ, just give up and go salivate over You Tube videos of Bill Lambier tackling people. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

You think I’m talking about 3 point shooting ability when the modern player in question is Draymond Green? Christ, just give up and go salivate over You Tube videos of Bill Lambier tackling people. 

you should be clearer in your posts.  Dray would be simply average as a frontline player , only 6-6 not strong can't jump.  He can't play the traditional 3 SF spot, and even today is rpg isn't superlative. What could he do in the 80s or 90s? Hell, i've got more respect for Cedric Maxwell in that respective time period. 

5 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

NBA needs to fix this bullshit of road teams wearing white + get rid of these massive 72 hours between games in the same city.  

I'm fine with white and colored. The red on blue shit last game was horrible. This isn't Christmas. 

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

NBA needs to fix this bullshit of road teams wearing white + get rid of these massive 72 hours between games in the same city.  

Feels like the NBA has did this for as long as I can remember. Game 1 of the Finals starts on a Thursday and game 2 is on a Sunday. No idea why they don't play it Saturday night.

When it was 2-3-2, the Finals games were only played on Thursday, Sunday and Tuesday from what I recall. Now it has switched up since going to 2-2-1-1-1. 

I 100% agree about the uniforms colors in regards to home and away. It seems it is the wild west now.

14 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

in the old days, a 3pt foul was awarded only 2 FTs.  MJ's 63 pt playoff game record was affected by this rule.  NBA should revert to that. 

They can call it "hug-a-Curry" once they realize he's having a good shooting night. 

Only 3 assists for Jokic so far tonight, feels like he should have a few more. Was hoping he would get a triple double every game just for the hell of it, but not looking likely at this point without some Westbrook-like shenanigans.

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

They can call it "hug-a-Curry" once they realize he's having a good shooting night. 

Only 3 assists for Jokic so far tonight, feels like he should have a few more. Was hoping he would get a triple double every game just for the hell of it, but not looking likely at this point without some Westbrook-like shenanigans.

how about 3 to make 2? 

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Joker vs. Cody Zeller is not an all time matchup. 

*by Cody Zeller 

he's making plays all over the floor, on both sides + the glass. he bodied zeller for 70 feet on a left handed fast break and then deftly scored a tear drop over a triple team, plus the foul. to act like he's merely overpowering some jag is just inaccurate.

Edited by shadow_operative