NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

There's a thousand coulda woulda shoulda calls throughout the game though man. Can't just point at one thing that happened and say that was much of a game changer
I'm not. Nuggs shoot like shit and the Heat were unconscious in the 4th. Still like our chances.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Rough math: Counting playoffs over 5000 4th quarters counting both teams in each game?

And you put down the most efficient one at this point in time?  

I think it’s closer to half that many but either way, it’s bananas to throw up the most efficient fourth quarter of the entire season in the finals when you’re about to go into a 2-0 hole. Their season’s probably over otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think it’s closer to half that many but either way, it’s bananas to throw up the most efficient fourth quarter of the entire season in the finals when you’re about to go into a 2-0 hole. Their season’s probably over otherwise. 

Yep you’re right.  I doubled at the end when I had already accounted for all 30 teams and 82 games (plus some postseason).  Still crazy.  

On 6/3/2023 at 10:41 PM, ztejas said:

Think whatever you want I don't really give a shit. It isn't especially difficult to recognize the most transformative defensive player of a generation but I guess you're up for a challenge. 

If green plays for a non Cali team the refs shut his moving screen rough house bs act down long ago.  The results speak for themselves but don't kid yourself it's also influenced by his market.  

He deserves twice the techs and fouls he's ever gotten. 

Think of it  like OU and OL holding.  

9 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

If green plays for a non Cali team the refs shut his moving screen rough house bs act down long ago.  The results speak for themselves but don't kid yourself it's also influenced by his market.  

He deserves twice the techs and fouls he's ever gotten. 

Think of it  like OU and OL holding.  

I mean it's always difficult to isolate guys from team success. Curry doesn't have 4 rings if he doesn't play with the guys he's played with. I think Dray would have developed into a great player wherever he wound up.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I noticed this as well. It seemed like they were running them off the 3 line all night.

Most of the time defenders were staying home on shooters and letting Jokic work 1:1 with whoever was guarding him.   There were a lot of mismatches where he bullied one of the guards but they only get 2 pts out of those possessions.  Almost none of the wide open 3s that they are used to getting.   Its a great plan.  It helps when you are on fire on the other end too to keep the pressure on them.   Will be interesting to see what adjustments DEN makes to get their shooters some looks.

Really looking forward to Game 3 and the adjustments.

People saying Denver would roll this Miami team haven't watched Miami this playoffs, or the last several years. Spo has been dragging no name and has-been players into the playoffs for years. Now with Butler and Bam and consistent D and shooting, they are very tough. 

Or I'm hilariously wrong that Miami has a chance and Jokic smashes them like a Serbian war hammer and Denver takes the next three. Who the hell knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

That was pretty easily the best game Bam has had in the playoffs.

I still think Denver will win but Miami has proven that they are going to take advantage of any opportunities they are given. 

Debatable on "easily". He had near triple doubles vs the Celtics and Bucks and was crucial to some victories.

Really, game 1 he was arguably better. More points, rebounds and assists and kept them in the game. But the Heat's shooters were so terrible it got lost.

What's interesting about Adebayo is he sometimes flips a switch and just "decides" on offense, and then his athleticism and moves can be jaw-dropping. Like one dribble, spin and dunk starting from 10 feet out type of stuff.

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

Debatable on "easily". He had near triple doubles vs the Celtics and Bucks and was crucial to some victories.

Really, game 1 he was arguably better. More points, rebounds and assists and kept them in the game. But the Heat's shooters were so terrible it got lost.

What's interesting about Adebayo is he sometimes flips a switch and just "decides" on offense, and then his athleticism and moves can be jaw-dropping. Like one dribble, spin and dunk starting from 10 feet out type of stuff.

He's had better stats without being as impactful as he was last night. He got timely buckets, played good defense, and just generally played a more in control game.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Denver is still -270 to win the series.

That's high. 

i dunno. bam isn't going to play like that every night, and miami's cadre of UDFA's aren't going to shoot 50% from three every night. Denver still remains the vastly superior team players wise. to me it comes down to Spo vs Malone, and Miami's three point shooting. MIA has to win both of those battles to win the series.

Scorching hot take incoming:

I love Jimmy Butler as much as the next guy, but can we tap the brakes just a little on his "unmatched desire to win." He obviously wants to win desperately. But he'd still be wallowing away in mediocrity in Minnesota if they paid him when he wanted them to (leading to his infamous practice tirade). He didn't want out because of KAT and Wiggins' lack of work ethic; he wanted out because he didn't get paid. And he went to Miami because they could pay him more money (more power to him), not necessarily because they were closer to winning a Championship than Philly.

Also, if he gets credit for being a top ~5 player in the postseason, doesn't he deserve a little blame for barely being a top 20 player in the regular season? Surely, the plan isn't to squeak by in the play-in most years and play the 3 toughest teams in the conference to make the Finals. Maybe if Playoff Jimmy made an appearance twice a month--something he's clearly capable of--they wouldn't live in the bottom half of the conference.

He's not Robert Horry or Draymond Green, guys that can sleepwalk through the regular season on great teams and then turn it up for the playoffs. He's the best player on a title contending team. Being the inverse James Harden is cool, but it makes annointing him an all-time great really difficult.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I think this is the first Finals I've ever watched where I didn't know who I wanted to win. I don't think both the team I wanted from the West during the conference Finals and the team I wanted from the East have ever played each other - at least not when I wasn't already cheering for one of those teams. 

It's really nice. I can just kick back and watch and cheer for good basketball. I don't feel emotionally invested either way. 

Something cool about Miami I just thought about - it's only Americans up and down the roster (guys actually playing at least). In an era when a lot of the best guys are starting to be foreigners and a lot of people question American development and the way we teach winning basketball. 

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Scorching hot take incoming:

I love Jimmy Butler as much as the next guy, but can we tap the brakes just a little on his "unmatched desire to win." He obviously wants to win desperately. But he'd still be wallowing away in mediocrity in Minnesota if they paid him when he wanted them to (leading to his infamous practice tirade). He didn't want out because of KAT and Wiggins' lack of work ethic; he wanted out because he didn't get paid. And he went to Miami because they could pay him more money (more power to him), not necessarily because they were closer to winning a Championship than Philly.

Also, if he gets credit for being a top ~5 player in the postseason, doesn't he deserve a little blame for barely being a top 20 player in the regular season? Surely, the plan isn't to squeak by in the play-in most years and play the 3 toughest teams in the conference to make the Finals. Maybe if Playoff Jimmy made an appearance twice a month--something he's clearly capable of--they wouldn't live in the bottom half of the conference.

He's not Robert Horry or Draymond Green, guys that can sleepwalk through the regular season on great teams and then turn it up for the playoffs. He's the best player on a title contending team. Being the inverse James Harden is cool, but it makes annointing him an all-time great really difficult.

Ihe’s had some pretty iffy games as well and I’m not sure Martin shouldn’t have been ecf mvp

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=37]MNLonghornFUKM[/mention] your KLove observation the other night was solid my main point was just let Spo figure it out because he will. That and I don't think bringing Love off the bench in G1 would have saved them.

He probably wouldn’t have mattered game 1 since it was over right when it started, but spo should’ve recognized Strus and Vincent were being switched into Aaron Gordon and made an adjustment at the 8 min mark of Q1

This current line up with love and bam on bench with zeller in there Vs Joker is going to get destroyed

Miami is going to have to go bucket for bucket until Q2 when Joker sits and bam comes back

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He probably wouldn’t have mattered game 1 since it was over right when it started, but spo should’ve recognized Strus and Vincent were being switched into Aaron Gordon and made an adjustment at the 8 min mark of Q1

He was probably afraid of something else happening instead with Love out there.

He realized that his size could be helpful once he watched film. 

Reggie Jackson sighting. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Alright this might get bad. 

The Heat assistants need to go ahead and start breaking down the film for game 4.

BS, late foul. Looks like they are waiting to see if the ball goes in. A foul is a foul, call it.

Edited by Brothahorn