NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the lakers' moves at the deadline were so shockingly intelligent and un-laker like (un-lebron like as well), i'm still not totally done preceding that this is an actual good team that can contend in the west. 

CLEARLY the unparalleled god-tier intellect and tireless hard work of Texas Tech LEGEND Darvin Ham

• Like 1

A Knock on a giant redwood for Davis for him to actually remain healthy means the Lakers win this series. This is asking something that seems impossible given his injury history. I took the Shaq-Kobe years for granted in the playoffs. I never worried about those kinds of things once mid-April rolled around. 

This is a six or seven game series. As a fan of the Purple and Gold though I will take Curry and Thompson shooting it 49 times for 52 points. Anyone that complains about a free throw disparity can point it directly at them not attacking the paint often enough.

The Lakers can get to the rim regularly because their attack starts and ends with Davis and James. The Warriors are not built to defend a duo like that when both are on their game. When those two are going downhill at Looney it is going to be a good night at the line for everyone because the floor opens up for cutters. The Dubs have to pick up the pace and make LA run with them. I would expect a far more concerted effort to attack the rim in Game 2 from them. This version of the Lakers is an actual team. I loved the additions at the deadline, especially Vanderbilt and Hachimura. It also allowed Reaves to have the ball in his hands more once Westbrook was traded. That dude can just flat out get it and he is not scared to attack which is cool to see. I am also a big Schroeder guy on this current roster. This is his chance to show that his showing last summer at the Euros was not flash in the pan stuff. 

For the Tech fans, I was glad we hired Ham. I always liked him going back to the Sweet 16 run. Ham is the kind of coach James and Davis will respect. Whether my guys win this series or not I like how much more cohesive they are on the floor now. 

Edited by UpperWestside

These 9PM weekday start times absolutely suck. Fuckin stagger these. Start Knicks heat on TNT at 6PM then get most of that game while lakers warriors start at 8 on TBS. When Knicks heat concludes switch the other game to TNT. Or keep it on TBS, who cares, those who are watching a 2007 episode of scrubs may have to sacrifice missing an episode they’ve seen 38 times

Scott Foster busy in the East helping the Knicks, he's going to have to come back West and help GS get this to 7.

The extender might be my favorite referee in the game. He puts so much fear into fans souls.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

These 9PM weekday start times absolutely suck. Fuckin stagger these. Start Knicks heat on TNT at 6PM then get most of that game while lakers warriors start at 8 on TBS. When Knicks heat concludes switch the other game to TNT. Or keep it on TBS, who cares, those who are watching a 2007 episode of scrubs may have to sacrifice missing an episode they’ve seen 38 times

The extender might be my favorite referee in the game. He puts so much fear into fans souls.

lol I just turn it off when he's out there

Foster is just such an obviously bad ref. He clearly influences the game in intentional ways. Whether that's to satisfy gambling debts or feed petty grudges is debatable, but he is not calling fair and unbiased games. He's literally the only ref I can name because when he's out there you can't help but notice the influence he has. There are other refs I sort of recognize b/c they seem to suck (the ponytail chic ref who fucked up a bunch of mavs games in the reg season) but I don't bother to know their names because they just seem naively bad at their jobs. Foster seems willfully malignant.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Foster is just such an obviously bad ref. He clearly influences the game in intentional ways. Whether that's to satisfy gambling debts or feed petty grudges is debatable, but he is not calling fair and unbiased games. He's literally the only ref I can name because when he's out there you can't help but notice the influence he has. There are other refs I sort of recognize b/c they seem to suck (the ponytail chic ref who fucked up a bunch of mavs games in the reg season) but I don't bother to know their names because they just seem naively bad at their jobs. Foster seems willfully malignant.

The crew in that Celts/Sixers game was horrendous - but like you said don't attribute to malice which is easily explainable by incompetence. 

the lakers' moves at the deadline were so shockingly intelligent and un-laker like (un-lebron like as well), i'm still not totally done preceding that this is an actual good team that can contend in the west. 
If that AD shows up and gets help from a surprisingly decent supporting cast, they may win it all.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Okay, I see why Draymond hit Poole. 

I missed a good part of the game so I have no idea what specific play you're referencing here, but also I totally agree. This whole season has been an 90 game montage of reasons to beat Poole's ass.

• Like 1

I missed a good part of the game so I have no idea what specific play you're referencing here, but also I totally agree. This whole season has been an 90 game montage of reasons to beat Poole's ass.
Mainly just the barking after he hit a couple of 3s. Considering that he has played like shit so far maybe don't be so mouthy just yet. But then when he got the 3 and foul, he was doing some weird finger thing towards the guy who fouled him. That's what made me post that.

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

Mainly just the barking after he hit a couple of 3s. Considering that he has played like shit so far maybe don't be so mouthy just yet. But then when he got the 3 and foul, he was doing some weird finger thing towards the guy who fouled him. That's what made me post that.

The moment that truly sealed it for me was last game against the Kings. Steph was pushing on a fast break and Poole was on the right. Poole was mostly open but Steph took it in on two dudes and hit a pretty nasty layup. Poole gave him this look and just moped back up the court because the greatest player in his team's history didn't pass his scrub ass a kickout on a fast break. That level of delusion/entitlement is just intolerable.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:
11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

If that AD shows up and gets help from a surprisingly decent supporting cast, they may win it all.

That's what I was going to say.

As for this series the Warriors need a helluva lot more from Green than what they got, 6 pts & 4 reb, last night. Looney's 23 rebounds were incredible and Poole added 21 points but, the help the Lakers got from Not Davis or James, was amazing.

Davis was 8/8 FT and only took 19 shots from the floor and had 30 points. Fantastic. And Schroder, my goodness, what a pick up that is turning into.

I get that Curry and Thompson are The Splash Brothers, and all that but, 49 shots between them is a bit much. Wiggins must do more to justify his $33,616,770 paycheck.

30 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

The moment that truly sealed it for me was last game against the Kings. Steph was pushing on a fast break and Poole was on the right. Poole was mostly open but Steph took it in on two dudes and hit a pretty nasty layup. Poole gave him this look and just moped back up the court because the greatest player in his team's history didn't pass his scrub ass a kickout on a fast break. That level of delusion/entitlement is just intolerable.

Steph isn't a team meeting big speech kind of leader, but he had to address the team before Game 7 and basically tell everyone who's in their feelings about playing time and their role to not bother getting on the bus. Doesn't exactly take a rocket surgeon to figure out that he was talking to Poole and Kuminga.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A few quick thoughts after LA/GS game 1:

• That game felt more like a NBA finals game than a second round matchup. There's just such a gravity to this series and I though the level of play was outstanding -- just guys making plays all over the place.
  • I figured that the Lakers would take game 1. The turnaround from Sac was quick and emotional, and the Lakers were rested and laying in wait. Davis played 44 minutes. Lebron played 40. I can't see that holding up over the rest of the series. I imagine the Warriors bounce back in game 2.
  • Davis is unsurprisingly a problem for the Warriors. I can't recall off the top of my head them having to deal with another big of his caliber in any of their runs, other than facing Jokic last year on an otherwise completely depleted Nugget team. I thought it was interesting that they made that run to tie the game late by going small and pulling out Looney, especially since I thought Looney had another monster game. I still can't believe they're only paying him $7.5 million/year. 
  • I thought the faster pace would favor the Warriors. Wrong. The Lakers seem more than up to the task. 

• Like 1

Davis played the entire second half last night. This series is gonna be incredibly taxing for him but he seems in great shape.

He is a top 3 player in this league when he has it. I never liked the TD comparisons but he is a monster on defense like TD was. There were several instances last night where a Warriors player would drive the lane, see Davis lurking, and pass the ball out to a shooter.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Tony Brothers is terrible, too.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1