NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Boring ass conference finals so far

Right, that's the only gripe. IMO though the teams that have looked the best are doing their thing. I personally thought Lakers and Nuggets would be the "real finals", but i'll be damned if the Heat don't look better. I think the real finals is shaping up nicely, and it's nice to have no hate for either team for once.

11 hours ago, Zeus said:

There was a few

tracy-mcgrady-nba.gif

Perfect.

At 24, the 2nd team he played for had a 3-1 lead in the first round of the  playoffs, and his team lost in 7. Did that makes him not that dude? No. 

Jayson Tatum is on the conference finals again. Leading his team in Pts, Rebs, Asts... With a coach that shouldn't be the coach and with a 50 year old center. 

But Tatum isn't the guy. 

Just like Jimmy Butler is overrated. 

Just watch games and enjoy good hooping. 

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

Perfect.

At 24, the 2nd team he played for had a 3-1 lead in the first round of the  playoffs, and his team lost in 7. Did that makes him not that dude? No. 

Jayson Tatum is on the conference finals again. Leading his team in Pts, Rebs, Asts... With a coach that shouldn't be the coach and with a 50 year old center. 

But Tatum isn't the guy. 

Tatum is down 2-0 with both losses coming at home and has a much better supporting cast. He shot 37% from the floor in the Finals last season and 66% from the stripe and had 15 turnovers in the last 3 games. 

He has these amazing flashes in the playoffs but he isn't good enough game to game and doesn't set the tone well. He's had a lot of playoff success but a lot of that is simply because he's been in a great situation his entire career and has played a lot of mediocre playoff teams. That Philly team should never have lost that game 6. He was completely bailed out in that one by their ineptitude - I don't care how many 3s he made in the 4th quarter. 

It isn't about comparing him to other players (that said there are probably 20 or more 24 year olds in NBA history I'd rather have than him in a playoff series). It's about looking at where he is as a player and wanting more out of him in the biggest moments. He doesn't seem to will them to a lot of wins - it's either going well for them as a team and they win or it's going poorly and they lose - and he routinely lets other stars come in and take games that they have no business winning. 

Someone compared him to 2010, 2011 LeBron and it's definitely a similar vibe at times - except LeBron was a much better player.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

Braun is the only rookie getting minutes and he isn’t really doing much.

In fact there are very few “young” players in the last 8 getting time. Braun, Maxey and Moody pretty much with maybe Reeves being the exception, but he played 4 (5) years of college.

Chasing 18/19 year olds and giving them tons of money, might not be a good championship practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

Perfect.

But Tatum isn't the guy. 

Lol Tatum sucks dude use your eyes he absolutely crumbles in fourth quarters. He led with 100 turnovers in the playoffs last year, and he continues to turn the ball over repeatedly in the 4th quarter when every possession critical to keep momentum and win.

At 24, Tmac carried the Magic 3 years in a row averaging 30+ ppg in the post season in an era where the teams weren't scoring 110 points like now. He was that guy. He scored clutch baskets and carried the team. 

Nothing to do with Jimmy Butler, who I guess you are making up in your head my opinion on him? 

Bawstin is going to get shit whipped tonight and probably swept.

Screenshot_20230521-100702.png

From a Finals watchability standpoint, what outcome should I be rooting for. 

Man, my Bron prediction was off. He hasn't played well, and the Lakers don't have enough to compete with the Nuggets. 

I could see the Nuggets winning the West and 5 and doing the same thing in the finals. Really, really good team this year. 

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Jimmy is welcome to prove me wrong. Boston would have HCA and would at least match up better - not that I'd like their chances either. 

Denver won't need more than 5 games against MIA. They defended Durant really well and Jimmy doesn't have Booker next to him. Butler isn't going to beat that team 1 v 5 - and they're actually coached well and tough unlike this Celtics team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jimmy is welcome to prove me wrong. Boston would have HCA and would at least match up better - not that I'd like their chances either. 
Denver won't need more than 5 games against MIA. They defended Durant really well and Jimmy doesn't have Booker next to him. Butler isn't going to beat that team 1 v 5 - and they're actually coached well and tough unlike this Celtics team. 

Struss, Vincent, Martin, Bam and to an extent love are significantly more talented than Phoenixs scraps. Like holy shit better.

Bam is an all nba defensive center and faster than Jokic. He could present problems.

Miami was swept by Denver this season but the games were close. I’d still give advantage denver. But it’s a team that’s adopted Jimmy’s dgaf personality. Those are generally dangerous teams to go up against. Considering they’ve had a lot of playoff success the since Jimmy landed there.

If they beat Boston handily tonight it’s going to be a great finals.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Struss, Vincent, Martin, Bam and to an extent love are significantly more talented than Phoenixs scraps. Like holy shit better.

Bam is an all nba defensive center and faster than Jokic. He could present problems.

Booker is holy shit better than any of those guys on O. And Durant is almost as good on D as Bam is. Not that either of them can cover Jokic. 

I mean I couldn't disagree with your take any more, honestly. I don't think Miami would have any chance against Denver. I suppose we'll see what happens. 

Booker is holy shit better than any of those guys on O. And Durant is almost as good on D as Bam is. Not that either of them can cover Jokic. 
I mean I couldn't disagree with your take any more, honestly. I don't think Miami would have any chance against Denver. I suppose we'll see what happens. 

Booker shot out of his body for Phoenix to even piece together a win. Durant was shit this entire post season, so injuries and Father Time could be catching up to him.

Payne, Josh Okogie, Shamet, 38YO CP3, Ayton wouldn’t start on Miami. And I’d start Jimmy Butler over KD. Booker would be the only Phoenix starter I’d put over *checks roster* max struss.

Let’s not even get into who plays more of a team between Miami and Phoenix. Spo is a great coach. And they’re gonna hear how great denver is for the 2 weeks or whatever leading up to the start of the finals.

They’ll be dangerous

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Durant was shit this entire post season

Lol okay bro. 29/9/6 on .599 TS% with 2.2 stocks and the defensive anchor of his team. What a bum. You realize the Lakers are down 3-0 and Phoenix took 2 off this Denver team with just a game and a half of their starting point guard playing. 

Let's see Miami handle business tonight before we start talking about how dangerous they're going to be in the Finals.

48 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Durant was shit this entire post season

I want to forget about your takes on the Gobert trade last summer but then you go and say some absurdly stupid shit like this and I'm just like, how many chromosomes do you even have?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't care how many 3s he made in the 4th quarter. 

What? So if he makes 3s and his team wins, you don't care, but if he misses and loses while leading the team statistically, he's ass. 

OK. 

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

What? So if he makes 3s and his team wins, you don't care, but if he misses and loses while leading the team statistically, he's ass. 

OK. 

Dude quit fucking trolling. I wrote like 300 words telling you why he's getting justifiably criticized and you single out one sentence to try and make some nonsensical point. If Philly was about their business it doesn't matter if Tatum hits 3 or 4 threes or whatever late.

Why don't you respond to the entirety of what I wrote holistically - because there's definitely a defense of Tatum to be had - just not sure the defense is "what about that one game where the team he was playing inexplicably collapsed in the 4th quarter without his influence"

• Haha 1

1. With all due respect to Tmac, he never made it out of the first round until he was a 100 year old 12th man on the spurs. Just an incomprehensible history of playoff choking.

2. On paper, Denver should roll Miami. But on paper Miami should have been booking flights to Cancun after the play in. I’ve never seen an nba playoff run like this. They had no business beating Milwaukee. They have no business beating Boston. I don’t think they can beat Denver but they aren’t going away quietly. I have no idea what kind of pagan sacrifice or deal with the devil Pat Riley made, but at this point I’d give them a punchers chance against the 92 Dream Team. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

Lol Tatum sucks dude use your eyes he absolutely crumbles in fourth quarters. He led with 100 turnovers in the playoffs last year, and he continues to turn the ball over repeatedly in the 4th quarter when every possession critical to keep momentum and win.

At 24, Tmac carried the Magic 3 years in a row averaging 30+ ppg in the post season in an era where the teams weren't scoring 110 points like now. He was that guy. He scored clutch baskets and carried the team. 

Nothing to do with Jimmy Butler, who I guess you are making up in your head my opinion on him? 

Bawstin is going to get shit whipped tonight and probably swept.

Screenshot_20230521-100702.png

TMac carried his team for 3 years in the playoffs to... 

1 win, 1 win, 3 wins

TMac was a great baller, but come on. He lead his team to getting smoked in Orlando. 

Tatum is averagimg 28.5, 9.6, 4.7 in the playoffs. That's 29/10/5,and he's in the ECF ding the same. But he's not the dude. 

It's not your opinion on Jimmy... Just general fans and some Surlites... Like I said, there was a post referring to a poll of who is overrated, and he was one of the top overrated players. 

I just think people watch basketball and think, "Not LeBron, Jordan, Duncan, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Dr J..." 

There are people who think Daymond Green can't hoop. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude quit fucking trolling. I wrote like 300 words telling you why he's getting justifiably criticized and you single out one sentence to try and make some nonsensical point. If Philly was about their business it doesn't matter if Tatum hits 3 or 4 threes or whatever late.

Why don't you respond to the entirety of what I wrote holistically - because there's definitely a defense of Tatum to be had - just not sure the defense is "what about that one game where the team he was playing inexplicably collapsed in the 4th quarter without his influence"

Because what you wrote got nullified by you pointing out that he doesn't have it when he did the thing you're saying he doesn't do...

Then you come back and say Tmac did the thing that Tmac didn't do! Tmac didn't win a fucking series and barely won a fucking playoff game. But he's the guy you picked out while saying Tatum is ass. 

You're trolling me. I know it. 

5 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Because what you wrote got nullified by you pointing out that he doesn't have it when he did the thing you're saying he doesn't do...

Then you come back and say Tmac did the thing that Tmac didn't do! Tmac didn't win a fucking series and barely won a fucking playoff game. But he's the guy you picked out while saying Tatum is ass. 

You're trolling me. I know it. 

Bro when the fuck did I say anything about TMac. 

Your grasp of the English language is tenuous as is your grasp of reality. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bro when the fuck did I say anything about TMac. 

Your grasp of the English language is tenuous as is your grasp of reality. 

To be fair, I have had to double take a couple times to distinguish ztejas from zeus, but that's mostly cuz I'm old AF and refuse to get stronger bifocals to read with.

18 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

To be fair, I have had to double take a couple times to distinguish ztejas from zeus, but that's mostly cuz I'm old AF and refuse to get stronger bifocals to read with.

That 40 year mark is for real. I’ve always been nearsighted and almost overnight I was struggling with all sight. Got my first readers. Lost my first readers.

Lol okay bro. 29/9/6 on .599 TS% with 2.2 stocks and the defensive anchor of his team. What a bum. You realize the Lakers are down 3-0 and Phoenix took 2 off this Denver team with just a game and a half of their starting point guard playing. 
Let's see Miami handle business tonight before we start talking about how dangerous they're going to be in the Finals.

he shot like absolute shit against Denver, under 43% in 4 of the 6 games. Cool bro he tore it up against a depleted clippers squad which likely elevated those numbers

The Durant this post season on the eye test wasn’t even close to the one I’m used to seeing, especially up against the wests best. Who the hell cares about if 38 yo cp3 played a game and half or not. He wasn’t going to make any sort of difference. Phoenixs big 4 was a joke.

I want to forget about your takes on the Gobert trade last summer but then you go and say some absurdly stupid shit like this and I'm just like, how many chromosomes do you even have?

I want to forget about your donte divenccizo take but I can’t. Something something best shooter in the league or whatever it was. Yea you’re not exactly a bball guru either, but who is in this thread?

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I want to forget about your donte divenccizo take but I can’t. Something something best shooter in the league or whatever it was. Yea you’re not exactly a bball guru either, but who is in this thread?

I absolutely never said DiVincenzo was the best shooter in the league or anything remotely close to that.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:50 PM, SilasCoade said:

Read good do ya? I specifically said it wasn't about direct comparison to Gobert, but about pointing out there is easy value in that one draft pick. 

FWIW, per 100 possessions attached. Pretty close for a guy that costs you just over 10 cents on the dollar for the other guy.

Screenshot_2022-08-24_20-47-37.png

I stand by that analysis 100%. Look at their per minute production in the playoffs this year and it's very close to equal. Yet one is on a disastrous albatross of a contract that will prevent the club from achieving anything in free agency and cost draft picks that will prevent the club from building through the draft for years to come. The other is named Donte.

Edited by SilasCoade

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

What did you say because it was embarrassing

It's in the post. This is the only other time I've mentioned him:

On 8/24/2022 at 6:41 PM, SilasCoade said:

Wolves likely to pick late teens to early 20s for 2023. Odds of getting a valuable contributor at those spots is not bad. Superstar? Not likely. Equal value to Gobert? Easy.

In the last 5 years alone you've got: Tyrese Maxey at #21, Matisse Thybulle at #20, Brandon Clarke at #21, Huerter at #19, DiVincenzo at #17, John Collins at #19, OG Anunoby at #23.

You can argue that Gobert is a better player than all those guys if you want, but none of them are getting benched in the playoffs b/c they are such matchup liabilities. The point isn't really that you could replace Gobert 1:1 with that draft pick. The point is that the value Gobert brings is not commensurate with his contract. It's made even worse value when you sacrifice the chance to get a cheap young contributor to help your budding superstar when he hits his prime. Gobert is a 31 year old big with next to no offensive game making $40-got-damn-million-American-fucking-dollars per year. Utah giving him that contract was kind of dumb but they were sort of over a barrel. MN taking on that contract and giving up a haul of picks for it is ludicrous. 

The only reason this desperation signing makes any sense is if you already know ANT is going to the Lakers first chance he gets.

Again, a post I stand by 100%. I don't need to be embarrassed by that take b/c 1) it was based on available statistical evidence at the time I made it, and 2) this past year proved me correct. Contrast that to your take that Durant played like shit in the playoffs when he was the second best player on a thin team and almost averaged 30 PPG against teams specifically scheming to take him out of the game from the jump while getting very little help from the refs.

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

he shot like absolute shit against Denver, under 43% in 4 of the 6 games. Cool bro he tore it up against a depleted clippers squad which likely elevated those numbers

The Durant this post season on the eye test wasn’t even close to the one I’m used to seeing, especially up against the wests best. Who the hell cares about if 38 yo cp3 played a game and half or not. He wasn’t going to make any sort of difference. Phoenixs big 4 was a joke.

What does this have to do with Denver being up 3-0 against the Lakers right now. 

I mean dude @MNLonghornFUKMI'm telling you that Miami matches up horribly against Denver and your response is that Kevin Durant sucks? While the Lakers with LeBron and AD are down 3-0 to these guys? 

But yeah Jimmy Butler is going to make the difference with a worse supporting cast against a team that 2 of the 3 greatest players of their generation struggled to figure out. 

Denver is going to roll them. Hang it on the board I'll quit posting on this site if they don't. Sans huge injury. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The two most fun things about the playoffs this year have been Jimmy Butler decimating teams and the way that Jokic, Murray and the Nuggets play as a team when they are rolling. Just some really enthralling basketball has been played by these two teams.

What Butler and the Heat have done for each other has been just amazing. Neither could exist in their current form without the other. I said three years ago that if you could give me one guy to start a team with in the east that it’d be Butler because there is no tougher guy mentally in the league. This has been a really good year for the league when players like these three and their teams are playing so well.

• Like 1

What does this have to do with Denver being up 3-0 against the Lakers right now. 
I mean dude [mention=37]MNLonghornFUKM[/mention]I'm telling you that Miami matches up horribly against Denver and your response is that Kevin Durant sucks? While the Lakers with LeBron and AD are down 3-0 to these guys? 
But yeah Jimmy Butler is going to make the difference with a worse supporting cast against a team that 2 of the 3 greatest players of their generation struggled to figure out. 
Denver is going to roll them. Hang it on the board I'll quit posting on this site if they don't. Sans huge injury. 

You’ve quit so many nba threads that I don’t care if I’m right . I said durant was terrible in the semis. He was. Tired? Injured? Old? No help? A lot of factors but the biggest to me is phoenixs roster make up is 10X worse than miamis. Miamis clicking on all cylinders with undrafted players and has arguably the playoff mvp so far not named Jokic guiding them.

I also said I’d pick denver but you’re making it out like miamis another Phoenix. Everybody and their mom said in here Phoenix only has a chance if KD and book play out of their minds. Book did and they won. When he didn’t they lost…badly. Miami doesn’t have to rely on just jimmy playing like Booker because they have 4-5 other guys who can score 20. And they have as many 3 point shooters and Denver. And bam is 100x better than Ayton. Jokic May have trouble keeping up

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You’ve quit so many nba threads that I don’t care if I’m right . I said durant was terrible in the semis. He was. Tired? Injured? Old? No help? A lot of factors but the biggest to me is phoenixs roster make up is 10X worse than miamis. Miamis clicking on all cylinders with undrafted players and has arguably the playoff mvp so far not named Jokic guiding them.

I also said I’d pick denver but you’re making it out like miamis another Phoenix. Everybody and their mom said in here Phoenix only has a chance if KD and book play out of their minds. Book did and they won. When he didn’t they lost…badly. Miami doesn’t have to rely on just jimmy playing like Booker because they have 4-5 other guys who can score 20. And they have as many 3 point shooters and Denver.

I mean I think Phoenix is more dangerous than Miami. I don't think there's any way the Heat take Denver to a game 6. 

@MNLonghornFUKM happy to wager btw. 

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The two most fun things about the playoffs this year have been Jimmy Butler decimating teams and the way that Jokic, Murray and the Nuggets play as a team when they are rolling. Just some really enthralling basketball has been played by these two teams.

What Butler and the Heat have done for each other has been just amazing. Neither could exist in their current form without the other. I said three years ago that if you could give me one guy to start a team with in the east that it’d be Butler because there is no tougher guy mentally in the league. This has been a really good year for the league when players like these three and their teams are playing so well.

Another fun thing your soulless franchise going down 3-0 in the conference finals. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Another fun thing your soulless franchise going down 3-0 in the conference finals. 

They’re doing about as well as your “Suns are now the favorites in the West” did. You really have got to invest some time in your life into being positive about something. Your constant stream of negativity about anything that isn’t about Durant is just not fun to read.

3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

They’re doing about as well as your “Suns are now the favorites in the West” did. You really have got to invest some time in your life into being positive about something. Your constant stream of negativity about anything that isn’t about Durant is just not fun to read.

Actually they're doing worse than the Suns did. You might get swept. 

BTW we got Wemby @UpperWestside.