NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

if the Vegas Knights win it , all 4 major sports titles will be west which has never been before Afaik.   

Chiefs, Nuggets, Astros, Golden Knights. 

Is this the West as described by frontiersman and early American colonists before manifest destiny? I mean, I get the Chiefs play in the AFC West, put the Cowboys play in the NFC East as well.

Good on the Nuggets for finally breaking through, just a thorough dismantling of teams in their playoff run and Joker is just a phenomenal player and person by all accounts.  He showed a lot of class last night. 

Should add, good for George Karl also. Although not a fan he had a lot vested emotionally on the Nuggets winning this thing. 

Edited by Underdog

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

kareem, wilt, russell, hakeem, duncan, shaq; that's who jokic is chasing. he's getting close to a couple of these guys too. 

He's past Shaq, IMO. I know different eras, different rules and shit, so in the 90s-00s Jokic might not have been as dominant but Shaq would be very limited in the modern game. Duncan and Hakeem could play today no problem. KAJ same. Not sure on Wilt and Russell but probably so. Wilt was just such a freak athletically that it's hard to imagine he wouldn't dominate in any era.

Sir Charles catches a lot of grief for speaking his mind--probably because he's often colossally wrong--but the Nuggets are one thing he's gotten right.

An excerpt, because digression is the spice of discussion:

Spoiler

CHUCK: I got it down to an exact science, Shaq--one nugget per cup.

ERNIE: Oh, c'mon, man!

CHUCK (smiling like a 5-year-old): I love barbecue sauce, man.

ERNIE: Well, obviously!

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, staboner said:

congrats to the marijuana tidbits. played the best bball all year. deserve the shit out of this 

the 3 pointer when butler was fouled by gordon's junk may, upon review, may be the most dumb thing I can remember seeing in sports in some time. with a fucking review to watch it. with us all watching it. the nbs needs to be forced to explain that in excruciating detail, use an etch a sketch, like a compass, and some paperclips, tell me how thats a foul please. 

Or they could just shoot Scott Foster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HonkeyVape said:

Is this the West as described by frontiersman and early American colonists before manifest destiny? I mean, I get the Chiefs play in the AFC West, put the Cowboys play in the NFC East as well.

I feel like 90% of the time were talking about West of the Mississip.

47 minutes ago, ztejas said:

the 3 pointer when butler was fouled by gordon's junk may, upon review, may be the most dumb thing I can remember seeing in sports in some time.

I guess I will be the lone dissenting opinion in thinking it was a foul on Gordon.  As Butler was going up, Gordan was closing out on him hard coming from outside the 3-point line.

image.thumb.png.1a07ac808240e0217f5ea4e0be1a1f5c.png

He then jumps into Butler's protected landing space.

image.thumb.png.5c56f13319f765c5266e0788b155731a.png

After Butler kicks him, he then winds up back inside the 3-point line.

image.png.1ba071b19cc47418d58908abd007b4e8.png

To me, this is a pretty clear violation of the NBA rules protecting jump-shooters from being undercut.  The video rule-book on the NBA site has some examples that are actually even less substantial than this one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yo, where's the screen grab of Jimmy unnecessarily kicking his leg out right into Gordon's nuts?

Oh, right, that doesn't help your "argument" here. How convenient.

What you do show--in the screen grab in which Gordon has stepped outside of the arc--is he's arrested his momentum, _not_ contacted Butler, and given Butler plenty of room to descend unimpeded. You can also see what appears to be the beginning of Butler extending his foot toward Gordon's groin.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I guess I will be the lone dissenting opinion in thinking it was a foul on Gordon.  As Butler was going up, Gordan was closing out on him hard coming from outside the 3-point line.

image.thumb.png.1a07ac808240e0217f5ea4e0be1a1f5c.png

He then jumps into Butler's protected landing space.

image.thumb.png.5c56f13319f765c5266e0788b155731a.png

After Butler kicks him, he then winds up back inside the 3-point line.

image.png.1ba071b19cc47418d58908abd007b4e8.png

To me, this is a pretty clear violation of the NBA rules protecting jump-shooters from being undercut.  The video rule-book on the NBA site has some examples that are actually even less substantial than this one.

You know you can post the video of the incident, right? This isn't a newspaper.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

You know you can post the video of the incident, right? This isn't a newspaper.

That is 100% an offensive foul by the rulebook. Arguing otherwise is insanity. I didn't watch much of the game and that's my first time seeing the clip.

• Hook 'Em 1

Seen it a million times, shooters kick their legs out to go for a foul call rather than focusing on making the shot. I can't believe people still fall for this shit and think it's normal. Reggie Miller used to do this, and the NBA made it a foul on the shooter if it's an unnatural shooting motion. Zach Lavine got a flagrant on a similar player earlier this year.  Here's the NBA's tutorial on it: https://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/offensive-foul-shooter-extends-leg-unnaturally-into-defender/

• Hook 'Em 1

He's past Shaq, IMO. I know different eras, different rules and shit, so in the 90s-00s Jokic might not have been as dominant but Shaq would be very limited in the modern game. Duncan and Hakeem could play today no problem. KAJ same. Not sure on Wilt and Russell but probably so. Wilt was just such a freak athletically that it's hard to imagine he wouldn't dominate in any era.

Russell, without a doubt. He was pretty good on the outlet pass and pushing the ball on fastbreaks.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Seen it a million times, shooters kick their legs out to go for a foul call rather than focusing on making the shot. I can't believe people still fall for this shit and think it's normal. Reggie Miller used to do this, and the NBA made it a foul on the shooter if it's an unnatural shooting motion. Zach Lavine got a flagrant on a similar player earlier this year.  Here's the NBA's tutorial on it: https://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/offensive-foul-shooter-extends-leg-unnaturally-into-defender/

The difference with the Lavine call is that at no point was the defender anywhere close to being in his protected landing area. 

image.png.86e6d928fe3d7d0e53c8a111eb562466.png

Gordon's foot was UNDER Butler until the kick moved him back out out of his space.  The reason I posted screen shots is that it is hard to see in realtime when everyone just wants to focus on the extended leg.

Regardless, the refs agree with me, so I must be right. Lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yours is a strange position to adopt in the first place, let alone dig in on.

No part of Gordon was under Butler. That is obvious from video and apparent in the screen grabs. The little hop that Gordon took to end his forward momentum did draw him closer to Butler, but he was always to Butler's front and left and never under him.

Also, Gordon has already initiated his "hop back" motion as Butler begins to kick toward him. Even with an excellent reaction time of a tenth of a second, it would not have been possible for Gordon to notice Butler's kicking motion and THEN hop backward as you are spuriously implying.

16 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Also, Gordon has already initiated his "hop back" motion as Butler begins to kick toward him. Even with an excellent reaction time of a tenth of a second, it would not have been possible for Gordon to notice Butler's kicking motion and THEN hop backward as you are spuriously implying.

I'm not implying that Gordon "hopped back" as some sort of reaction. To me it looks like Butler's kick aided in moving Gordon to his final landing spot. But I disagree that he was never in Butler's landing area.

Also for the record I don't really care.  I'm not digging in, it is just how I see it and interpret the rules.  You all are free to disagree.  It was a call that could have gone a number of ways. Either foul on Gordon for being in Butler's landing area.  Or a no call.  Or an offensive / flagrant foul on Butler. 

If I'm a ref and have a situation like this, I will generally be biased to protect the shooter.  When I was a player, literally nothing would piss me off more than a defender getting under me when I was in the air (resulting in countless twisted ankles).  F defenders like that.

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'm not implying that Gordon "hopped back" as some sort of reaction. To me it looks like Butler's kick aided in moving Gordon to his final landing spot. But I disagree that he was never in Butler's landing area.

Also for the record I don't really care.  I'm not digging in, it is just how I see it and interpret the rules.  You all are free to disagree.  It was a call that could have gone a number of ways. Either foul on Gordon for being in Butler's landing area.  Or a no call.  Or an offensive / flagrant foul on Butler. 

If I'm a ref and have a situation like this, I will generally be biased to protect the shooter.  When I was a player, literally nothing would piss me off more than a defender getting under me when I was in the air (resulting in countless twisted ankles).  F defenders like that.

Aaron Gordon is 6'8" and about 240 pounds, yet you're contending that Butler's off-balance, falling-away attempt to kick Gordon in the nuts swept Gordon out of the way?

Sure, we are free to form our own opinions, but yours is dumb and you are seeing what you want to see rather than what is clearly shown.

Count me as a 2nd person that doesn’t think the call was that egregious. The slo-mo replay doesn’t do it justice. It wasn’t a set shot. Jimmy was running full speed towards the right hand corner, caught the pass, and turned 90 degrees, jumped, and shot in one motion. It’s literally impossible to NOT kick a leg out for balance in that scenario. I don’t think he exaggerated the kick much/at all. If the refs determined that that was his natural shooting motion for such a shot, then Gordon ran into his leg. 

if it were me, I would have overturned it and said play on, no foul on anyone. But I didn’t see it as some uniquely horrible call or a sign that the refs were purposely trying to extend the series. 

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Aaron Gordon is 6'8" and about 240 pounds, yet you're contending that Butler's off-balance, falling-away attempt to kick Gordon in the nuts swept Gordon out of the way?

Sure, we are free to form our own opinions, but yours is dumb and you are seeing what you want to see rather than what is clearly shown.

I think I see the problem now. You can't read.

I said Butler's kick AIDED in moving Gordon.  (And it obviously does if you watch the video).  In typical internet fashion, you read that as "swept Gordon out of the way".  In this case even moving a couple of inches changes the optics completely from being in Butler's landing area to being just outside it.

(BTW - If someone's foot is approaching my nuts, I have the reaction time of a fuckin' olympic ping pong player.  Like millisecond quickness.)

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think I see the problem now. You can't read.

I said Butler's kick AIDED in moving Gordon.  (And it obviously does if you watch the video).  In typical internet fashion, you read that as "swept Gordon out of the way".  In this case even moving a couple of inches changes the optics completely from being in Butler's landing area to being just outside it.

(BTW - If someone's foot is approaching my nuts, I have the reaction time of a fuckin' olympic ping pong player.  Like millisecond quickness.)

It's not that I can't read, it's that you can't seem to remember what you wrote.

From another of your posts:

"Gordon's foot was UNDER Butler until the kick moved him back out out of his space."

So your argument vacillates between two contradictory assertions:

1) Butler's off-balance, falling-backwards kick somehow moved a march larger and heavier Gordon out of [Butler's] space (even though video shows Gordon was not in said space)

2) Or that the threat of being kicked in the nuts so motivated Gordon to jump out of the way, that Gordon somehow bent the laws of time and space and initiated his backwards movement before Butler had begun to extend his foot toward Gordon.

Both assertions are just as ludicrous as @aggie08's suggestions that Butler's flailing kick was either an unavoidable side effect of attempting an off-balance shot or his "natural shooting motion."

This was a player control issue, regardless of intent. At worst, it should've been a non-call, but it quite justly could have been called a flagrant against Butler for his failure to maintain body control (if the kick to the groin were an accident) or for trying to injure another player (if intentional).

With apologies to the great Dirk Nowitzki, taking an off-balance fadeaway does not grant the offensive player license to strike out at defenders.

(Please don't get me started on the Mailman's running knees and elbows whenever he went in for a layup.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Both assertions are just as ludicrous as @aggie08's suggestions that Butler's flailing kick was either an unavoidable side effect of attempting an off-balance shot or his "natural shooting motion."

This was a player control issue, regardless of intent. At worst, it should've been a non-call, but it quite justly could have been called a flagrant against Butler for his failure to maintain body control (if the kick to the groin were an accident) or for trying to injure another player (if intentional).

Oh, stop. He didn’t “flail.” His legs were just barely separated. He was in pretty decent control of his body. Gordon was just very close. I’m fine if you think that was a foul on Butler, but no need to be melodramatic. Comparing his motion to Reggie Miller’s and the like is being dishonest. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see the call go any of 3 ways, but I can at least see how the refs could convince themselves that was a mostly natural shooting motion. Butler’s motion looked like a thousand Jordan mid-range turnarounds, just with somebody’s dick getting in the way. Go attempt some drifting jumpers at full sprint and report back how closely you were able to keep your feet. 

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh, stop. He didn’t “flail.” His legs were just barely separated. He was in pretty decent control of his body. Gordon was just very close. I’m fine if you think that was a foul on Butler, but no need to be melodramatic. Comparing his motion to Reggie Miller’s and the like is being dishonest. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see the call go any of 3 ways, but I can at least see how the refs could convince themselves that was a mostly natural shooting motion. Butler’s motion looked like a thousand Jordan mid-range turnarounds, just with somebody’s dick getting in the way. Go attempt some drifting jumpers at full sprint and report back how closely you were able to keep your feet. 

I am being no more melodramatic than you are when you insist Jimmy was at "full sprint" when he initiated that shot.

Look at where Jimmy's feet are when he takes off. Look at where they are when he lands.

We are in agreement that Jimmy was in control of his body. Flail is fair, imo, because I interpret Butler's actions as 100 percent intentional, i.e., he absolutely knew what he was doing by a) trying to jump toward an onrushing Gordon and b) extending his right foot even further, both in hopes of creating contact with Gordon because the shot was ridiculously difficult and ill-advised.

Refs (you, anyone) can convince themselves of anything. Doesn't mean it's the correct (or even logical) conclusion.

anyone who defends that call also thinks that calvin johnson and dez bryant failed to make the catch. 

thinks that the 5 second call from 2011 vs arizona was the right call

agreed with the strike zone from the stanford super regional 

thinks that kings/lakers was on the up and up 

Edited by shadow_operative

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Anyone who argues with the call thinks the clock expired on Colt's incompletion in the 2009 UT vs. Nebraska game.

It's like you're auditioning for a spot on ESPN.  Start with a bad take and then double down.  Then start digging.