UT or University of Chicago Law?

22 hours ago, South Austin said:

I had a very different experience. I loved law school, the intellectual challenge, the professors (mostly), and the lifelong friends I made. There were a few assholes here and there, but I avoided them. I actually liked my law school experience in Austin more than my undergraduate. I’m sure I’m in the minority.

This was my experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well damn. Not sure if this is good or bad. Penn, a school I didn't even know he applied to, came back with a better scholarship offer and he accepted. He said he was about to submit his enrollment deposit to Chicago when he received the news. I guess it's nice to have options. My situation was much more similar to SimonBolivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Well damn. Not sure if this is good or bad. Penn, a school I didn't even know he applied to, came back with a better scholarship offer and he accepted. He said he was about to submit his enrollment deposit to Chicago when he received the news. I guess it's nice to have options. My situation was much more similar to SimonBolivers.

You picked Texas St over Western New Mexico?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

You know tfg is a supposed Penn grad.  Just sayin

Penn law is not dramatically better than UT. It might offer some east coast opportunity though. And free is free. I have a couple of buds that went to Wharton that didn't really enjoy the area of Philly. 

ETA:  this was 30 years ago and I'm sure Philly has improved, but it's still Philly.  They enjoyed Philadelphia, but the area around campus evidently is or was pretty rough.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Penn law is not dramatically better than UT. It might offer some east coast opportunity though. And free is free. I have a couple of buds that went to Wharton that didn't really enjoy the area of Philly. 

The only Penn law grad I’ve known was working as a realtor… in Fl.  Definitely smart and way aggressive, but her ophthalmologist husband was the prioritized bread winner. 

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I asked him if he thought he would like Philadelphia. He said he really didn't care if he was in Austin, Chicago, or Philadelphia. He said he's going from his apartment to school and to the library. I guess that's the right mindset but I sure as hell couldn't do it. Huge sports fan so he'll probably catch a few games but that's about it. That'll probably prove to be an adventure in itself.

Just now, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I asked him if he thought he would like Philadelphia. He said he really didn't care if he was in Austin, Chicago, or Philadelphia. He said he's going from his apartment to school and to the library. I guess that's the right mindset but I sure as hell couldn't do it. Huge sports fan so he'll probably catch a few games but that's about it. That'll probably prove to be an adventure in itself.

AS a young college kid, you can do far worse than any of the three but I think Philly may have the best experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Free is free, but man he sounds perfect for Yale.

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Free is free, but man he sounds perfect for Yale.

I finally came out and asked him about Yale. He never applied but he got turned down by Harvard. 172 LSAT score for what that's worth. Said he was practice testing at 176 so he underperformed. Said he should have taken it again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Penn free he will be fine but Chicago over UT for sure and definitely weirdos but who am I to talk I went to Baylor where all the repressed Christian homo fags and queers go and come out trans (she raises her hand). All derogatory statements aside there are three factors - cost, prestige, and grades. Get two of the three right and you’ll be fine. Get only one right and well enjoy the struggle.  For the record I had grades and cost so the two out of three rule worked for me.  He’ll be fine even though I read the thread to congratulate him on Chicago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Penn free he will be fine but Chicago over UT for sure and definitely weirdos but who am I to talk I went to Baylor where all the repressed Christian homo fags and queers go and come out trans (she raises her hand). All derogatory statements aside there are three factors - cost, prestige, and grades. Get two of the three right and you’ll be fine. Get only one right and well enjoy the struggle.  For the record I had grades and cost so the two out of three rule worked for me.  He’ll be fine even though I read the thread to congratulate him on Chicago. 

I wish he would have stuck with Chicago.  I'm surprised he took the Penn offer since Chicago was one of his top choices from the beginning. I think the thought of coming out of school burdened by debt was weighing on him. He was really leaning UT for that reason, so when he decided on Chicago I thought it was a done deal. Oh well, I'm sure he'll do well. He's the most focused young man I've ever known. 

On 4/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

U Chicago is a better school than UT, however every U Chicago lawyer I know is a fucking weirdo. 

This man knows UofC.  And it’s not just for attorneys.  Blows my mind how ‘normal’ NW alumni in any field seem compared to UofC.  Of course, I went to a rather shitty school, so wtf do I know?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I wish he would have stuck with Chicago.  I'm surprised he took the Penn offer since Chicago was one of his top choices from the beginning. I think the thought of coming out of school burdened by debt was weighing on him. He was really leaning UT for that reason, so when he decided on Chicago I thought it was a done deal. Oh well, I'm sure he'll do well. He's the most focused young man I've ever known. 

I’m serious about two out of the three, he’s got one in the bag already. No debt is a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Philly is a great place to be as well

On 4/17/2023 at 3:31 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Oh man, I feel for your nephew. I was having a hard time deciding on a graduate school too. It was between Louisiana Tech and Western New Mexico and it was just an agonizing couple of weeks. Fortunately, LaTech denied me and the choice was then a bit clearer.

Probably for the best.  Not everyone can adjust to the bright lights and temptations of Ruston, LA.  I don’t even know what city / town / village Western New Mexico is in, but I’m pretty sure you wound up in the better of the two locations.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

My backup plan when I applied to law school was to be the guy who drove the airport van for a condo in Snowmass, CO.  I had applied for the job and had a pretty good chance of being hired.  I told myself I'd retake the LSAT and reapply for the next year.  The job promised free lodging, 3 ski days per week, and a season lift pass.  I got into law school and didn't register excitement immediately for this reason.  It all worked out.  But that would have been a lot of fun.