Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

The best playoff in sports is nigh upon us. Pucks drop all over tomorrow night. Some compelling storylines:

* Can anyone beat the Bruins, who set NHL records for wins (65) and points (135) in a single season

* Colorado is defending, and playing great, but might be too banged up

* As good as Boston’s team season was, Connor McDavid scored the most points since Mario Lemieux in 1993, I think; plays with Leon Draisatl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who all surpassed 100 points — can The Oil win the West (Canadian team hasn’t won Cup since Montreal in (checks notes) — 1993!

* Boston is the favorite by far but the East promises to be a bloodbath

* Seattle is in the playoffs in second year

* Our Dallas Stars have a nifty little team, a 100+ point scorer and great young goalie in Oettinger

All I can say is bring it the fuck on!

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Night 1 predictions:

Islanders to win: NYI is built to win playoff style hockey. A possible Vézina winner in net, plus a defensive structure and physicality that wears on teams as a series goes on. I think the injuries to Svechnikov and Macioretty will be too costly for the Hurricanes. 

Bruins to win: Incredible home ice advantage and wouldn’t be surprised to see a sweep or gentlemen’s sweep with this series. 

Stars to win: Think the difference maker will be in net, which gives the advantage to the Stars. Not looking for sympathy rep but I think this series will be the most exciting out of the West in round 1. 

Oilers to win: Incredible offensive fire power and improved back end. While I predict a game 1 victory, I’m not so sure Edmonton advances so easily. Think LA is highly underrated and love the defensive structure they play with, which starts up the middle with Kopitar and Danault. 

That Wild/Stars game was unbelievable. Great action and physicality from the start of the 2nd period to the end. 

The Oilers did typical Oiler shit and played awful defense and still have a bag of shit between the pipes. LA stole a huge one. 

2 hours ago, jetsfan76 said:

As much as 5-1 looks good on paper vs the 1 seed, I'm sure that'll be our only win this playoffs.

I dunno, man. WPG has a Vezina-caliber goalie and Norris-caliber D-man and a quite good top line. They fell off a bit at the end of the season (what is with Bones' teams? - they seem to quit at the latter half of the season).

EDM has a ton offense but shit D and goaltending. That is not a cup winning formula. I don't know why so many people are hyping them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I dunno, man. WPG has a Vezina-caliber goalie and Norris-caliber D-man and a quite good top line. They fell off a bit at the end of the season (what is with Bones' teams? - they seem to quit at the latter half of the season).

EDM has a ton offense but shit D and goaltending. That is not a cup winning formula. I don't know why so many people are hyping them. 

Their top line is tits, but it falls off dramatically after that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Would love to see the Rangers just end all hope tonight for the dirtbag Devils and their fans.

Will be interesting to see if the Avs decide to show up or not. If they want a shot at repeating, someone in their bottom six has to show up to play. Can’t just be the MacKinnon/Rantanen/Makar show all playoffs.

I think the 3 game sussy for Bunting was a bit extreme but that hit on Cernak was dirty. Tampa possibly missing Cernak and Herman for an extended period of time will be a huge problem for the Lightning. With that said, I still think the Leafs fuck this up and their fans burn that org down. 

• Hook 'Em 1