Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

46 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That is waaay up high on the list of most fun I've ever had.

Completely exhausted and completely wired.

My seats are to the left of where you were, and higher (there's not a bad seat in the place; I've been about as far up in the corner as you can get and the seats were still great). That was by far the best crowd I've seen in the Squids' very short history. Saturday was a fun crowd but you got the impression half of 'em had never been to a hockey game and just wanted to see history. Tonight's crowd knew hockey.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sharing this because Toronto won. Now, what happened last time they lead a series 3-1 in the first round? Get ready for the collapse!

Oh, I’m fully expecting the collapse, especially since it’s Tampa. I’ve been a Toronto “fan” since the 1990’s. I loved Doug Gilmour and the all-blue uniforms. The best in sport IMO. The Leafs became my Eastern Conference team while I cheered for the Stars in the West and overall. The Leafs had some epic playoff wars back in the Mats Sundin/early ‘00s but are simply cursed these days.

Glad to see them competitive again because I’d basically stopped paying attention for a decade or more. Hope they can pull it off but I don’t think they will. Still, down 4-1 with 10 mins left and coming back to win 5-4 in OT is damn impressive.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What are everybody’s thoughts on the Makar hit on McCann last night? I thought it was dirty but I don’t see how he gets a suspension if Dumba didn’t either. Personally, a one-game TO for both would be appropriate.

It was a greasy hit but that’s playoff hockey.

9 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

It was a greasy hit but that’s playoff hockey.

Personally, I don't like it when stars like McCann and Pavelski are knocked out of series because of hits like this. As I said in the Stars thread, you can still have incredible and intense playoff hockey and eliminate shit like that from the sport.

I will add that both hits were against the rules AND resulted in a serious injury for an opponent -- that should carry some additional punishment for the transgressor.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Personally, I don't like it when stars like McCann and Pavelski are knocked out of series because of hits like this. As I said in the Stars thread, you can still have incredible and intense playoff hockey and eliminate shit like that from the sport.

I will add that both hits were against the rules AND resulted in a serious injury for an opponent -- that should carry some additional punishment for the transgressor.

Hits like that are what separate regular season hockey from playoff hockey. That’s why it’s so important to have a few pricks on the team that aren’t afraid to play dirty in the postseason. Just didn’t expect that to be Makar. I think he probably doesn’t get suspended but it wouldn’t shock me if he got a game. Seattle fans thinking he should get 3-4 games are ridiculous. 

I didn't see it live so didn't hear the analysis but put me in the group that doesn't understand why that isn't a 5 min major + suspension in hockey.  Was way late and up to the head.  "Playoff Hockey" or not, you would think the NHL would care about (i) player safety/head injuries and (ii) actually having league stars participate in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I didn't see it live so didn't hear the analysis but put me in the group that doesn't understand why that isn't a 5 min major + suspension in hockey.  Was way late and up to the head.  "Playoff Hockey" or not, you would think the NHL would care about (i) player safety/head injuries and (ii) actually having league stars participate in the playoffs. 

Couldn’t have said it better, Skip.

I’m all for big/legal hits. The cheap shit certainly ratchets up the hate factor in a series but apparently we are incentivizing attempts to remove an opponent’s best players from a series.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What are everybody’s thoughts on the Makar hit on McCann last night? I thought it was dirty but I don’t see how he gets a suspension if Dumba didn’t either. Personally, a one-game TO for both would be appropriate.
It was late, but the whistle hadn't blown. He thought McCann was going to get the puck in the corner. Makar is not a dirty player and I don't see how you can suspend him for that.

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m all for big/legal hits. The cheap shit certainly ratchets up the hate factor in a series but apparently we are incentivizing attempts to remove an opponent’s best players from a series.

Makar’s argument will be that he thought the puck was still in play in the corner, where the hit was delivered. Another interesting point is that nobody on Seattle made Makar answer for the hit. If they really thought it was that dirty then someone would have made him drop the gloves, but that didn’t happen. It was certainly a greasy hit and unfortunately resulted in an injury, but not dirty enough for Seattle to do anything about it. 

It was not a hit to the head.

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
47 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It was not a hit to the head.

He launched straight up right under his chin into the boards.  That's a hit to the head in my book.

He launched straight up right under his chin into the boards.  That's a hit to the head in my book.
He hit him in the shoulder and McCann wasn't ready for the hit. You're seeing things that aren't there. Makar is not a dirty player. I think you just hate the Avs.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

He hit him in the shoulder and McCann wasn't ready for the hit. You're seeing things that aren't there. Makar is not a dirty player. I think you just hate the Avs.

He launched straight up.  The outcome was worse because McCann wasn't ready for it but the hit was the hit.   You are an Avs fan dude.  Hardly objective.  I don't give a shit about this series other than hoping it at least went 6 games.  If the Avs and Stars meet next round then I'll hate the Avs.  I'm indifferent towards them as of now outside of enjoying watching McKinnon play 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skipper said:

He launched straight up.  The outcome was worse because McCann wasn't ready for it but the hit was the hit.   You are an Avs fan dude.  Hardly objective.  I don't give a shit about this series other than hoping it at least went 6 games.  If the Avs and Stars meet next round then I'll hate the Avs.  I'm indifferent towards them as of now outside of enjoying watching McKinnon play 

You're awfully wound up for someone who doesn't give a shit.

I don't think he deserves a suspension, but he might get a game.  We'll find out today.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

It was late and dirty, whistle or not. The puck was nowhere near them. I don't care what Makar's reputation or intent was, it was a dumb play and he should sit a game for it. Hell, I'm of the opinion that if you hit someone dirty and they have to sit  out as long as they do. That would change some attitudes.

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You're awfully wound up for someone who doesn't give a shit.

I don't think he deserves a suspension, but he might get a game.  We'll find out today.

Who's getting riled up? I don't think it's C-Man. In my experience he never gets riled. I think you're reading more into his comments than is warranted. But hell, what do I know, it's just the internet.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It was late and dirty, whistle or not. The puck was nowhere near them. I don't care what Makar's reputation or intent was, it was a dumb play and he should sit a game for it. Hell, I'm of the opinion that if you hit someone dirty and they have to sit  out as long as they do. That would change some attitudes.

Who's getting riled up? I don't think it's C-Man. In my experience he never gets riled. I think you're reading more into his comments than is warranted. But hell, what do I know, it's just the internet.

Skipper is getting riled up for someone who professes to not care.

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Skipper is getting riled up for someone who professes to not care.

How am I getting "riled up"?  We are discussing what is apparently a gray area hit (2nd one in the playoffs so far that resulted in an injury) and I'm stating my opinion.   I can assure you my blood pressure isn't rising.  You are just mad because nobody agrees with your position.   It's a message board.  Who cares.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yeah it was dirty af, esp with the puck already gone out of play. No way anyone is thinking they're about to be hit there. Nor should they. They both knew that puck was gone. 

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

That's exactly what's going on.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, C-Man said:

It was late, but the whistle hadn't blown. He thought McCann was going to get the puck in the corner. Makar is not a dirty player and I don't see how you can suspend him for that.

There is zero chance he thought that. The puck was nowhere in sight, and McCann was standing straight up, cruising into the corner after the puck had obviously gone out of play. He wasn't in a posture even remotley looking like he was skating after anything. The play was over. Everyone knew it, unless you think Makar is a regard.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1