Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

2 minutes ago, wood said:

There is zero chance he thought that. The puck was nowhere in sight, and McCann was standing straight up, cruising into the corner after the puck had obviously gone out of play. He wasn't in a posture even remotley looking like he was skating after anything. The play was over. Everyone knew it, unless you think Makar is a regard.

The puck went up in the air and the whistle did not blow until after the hit so he kept playing.  But he's suspended and you can't hit someone when the puck isn't around, so whatever.  Not sure how Dumba skates on his hit and you suspend Makar for this but it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The puck went up in the air and the whistle did not blow until after the hit so he kept playing.  But he's suspended and you can't hit someone when the puck isn't around, so whatever.  Not sure how Dumba skates on his hit and you suspend Makar for this but it is what it is.

Well, Dumba should have gotten the 5 minute major, at minimum. We can agree on that much. He was very late. But the excuse that Makar thought McCann was chasing the puck is a reach at the very best.

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

they both should have been suspended. we're not the ones making the decisions

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, C-Man said:
What are everybody’s thoughts on the Makar hit on McCann last night? I thought it was dirty but I don’t see how he gets a suspension if Dumba didn’t either. Personally, a one-game TO for both would be appropriate.

It was late, but the whistle hadn't blown. He thought McCann was going to get the puck in the corner. Makar is not a dirty player and I don't see how you can suspend him for that.

1.  The puck was literally in the stands when the hit took place.  

2.  He's not a dirty player at all, but that was by definition a dirty hit.

3.  He's suspended for Game 5, which is probably the correct call given his history.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

And fuck Evason for all his "We're gonna be physical. That's who we are and we're gonna continue that way" chest-thumping bullshit. Hey dipshit, nobody's telling you not to be physical. You can be physical as fuck without being a dirty, headhunting, cheapshotting team full of cocksuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

the whistle did not blow until after the hit

BTW, I know that this is an absolute pipe dream, but the ref fucked up this play so badly that it would be nice if he got a vacation, too.

The puck was literally in the fucking stands and this guy didn't blow the whistle.  And he didn't even initially call a penalty even though he was right next to the play.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

He launched straight up.  The outcome was worse because McCann wasn't ready for it but the hit was the hit.   You are an Avs fan dude.  Hardly objective.  I don't give a shit about this series other than hoping it at least went 6 games.  If the Avs and Stars meet next round then I'll hate the Avs.  I'm indifferent towards them as of now outside of enjoying watching McKinnon play 

Yeah, I don't think the initial contact is to the head (like Dumba on Pavelski) but he definitely catches McCann's face/jaw with his forearm as he plays through the check. I think the Dumba play as substantially worse, perhaps moreso because of Dumba's immediate reaction, which was him laughing it up on the bench as Pavs skated wobbily to the tunnel.

49 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah it was dirty af, esp with the puck already gone out of play. No way anyone is thinking they're about to be hit there. Nor should they. They both knew that puck was gone. 

Anson Carter said it on the post-game. McCann clearly saw the puck in the netting and thought the play was over so he was letting up/relaxing his body and not preparing to get absolutely drilled. Head on a swivel and all that (I guess) but it was an unnecessary play from a guy who I've never heard of doing anything like this in the past.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, I don't think the initial contact is to the head (like Dumba on Pavelski) but he definitely catches McCann's face/jaw with his forearm as he plays through the check. I think the Dumba play as substantially worse, perhaps moreso because of Dumba's immediate reaction, which was him laughing it up on the bench as Pavs skated wobbily to the tunnel

Yeah fuck Dumba and fuck the NHL for letting him off without really even a slap on the wrist. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dumba and makar both deserved 5 minute majors and 1 game suspensions. I also factor in the result of the cheap shot. If a star player or important player gets knocked out for a significant period of time, the other team should get something to help offset the loss of the player. These were not 100% legal hits and PK subban can shove the “it’s playoff hockey” up his ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Dumba and makar both deserved 5 minute majors and 1 game suspensions. I also factor in the result of the cheap shot. If a star player or important player gets knocked out for a significant period of time, the other team should get something to help offset the loss of the player. These were not 100% legal hits and PK subban can shove the “it’s playoff hockey” up his ass.

Yeah there seems to be some contention over what "playoff hockey" means. Some seem to think it means you can pretty much do whatever you want, to whomever you want, whenever you want, whether it's legal or not.

IMHO, it means the hockey is going to be faster, more physical (in a clean way), with more hitting than you'd normally see, and defense is going to be more aggressive and relentless. The biggest reason for the increase in physycality, from what I've read an been told, is fairly obvious and straightforward. It's that the physical players simply can't be as physical throughout a whole regular season, because of the toll it would take on them. But once you hit the playoffs, it's win or go home, so you let your nuts hang. 'More physical' doesn't mean that suddenly the rulebook gets thrown out. It means 'more physical'.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, wood said:

There is zero chance he thought that. The puck was nowhere in sight, and McCann was standing straight up, cruising into the corner after the puck had obviously gone out of play. He wasn't in a posture even remotley looking like he was skating after anything. The play was over. Everyone knew it, unless you think Makar is a regard.

The play was literally right in front of me, and even in real time this was what appeared to happen. I neither dislike the Avs nor Makar (except this week), but the puck went straight up, cleared the high netting, and was being caught by a fan when Makar hit McCann (who had clearly slowed). Makar was behind the play so how he could've missed where the puck went is beyond me. Georgiev wasn't even scrambling to find it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

22 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

The play was literally right in front of me, and even in real time this was what appeared to happen. I neither dislike the Avs nor Makar (except this week), but the puck went straight up, cleared the high netting, and was being caught by a fan when Makar hit McCann (who had clearly slowed). Makar was behind the play so how he could've missed where the puck went is beyond me. Georgiev wasn't even scrambling to find it.

The Avs were also down 1-0 and being skated out of the arena at the moment of the Makar hit too, IIRC. I think he was frustrated and did something stupid.