Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

I flipped it off after first OT and crashed. Woke up to take a piss and checked the score and kept refreshing in my haze thinking the ESPN website must have been stuck since it said still tied then I realized it was in OT #4.  Crazy game.

I was sitting there all night thinking that this was the first Florida game I've seen where Tkachuk wasn't the best player on the ice, and he pots the winner...

Also, DuClair is a fucking beast out there.  Seems like him missing most of the regular season would explain a lot of Florida's dropoff from last year.

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I was sitting there all night thinking that this was the first Florida game I've seen where Tkachuk wasn't the best player on the ice, and he pots the winner...

Also, DuClair is a fucking beast out there.  Seems like him missing most of the regular season would explain a lot of Florida's dropoff from last year.

yeah, I was hoping the Stars would grab him before Florida did. he's a great player and clearly brings energy to the group. these 8th seed bastards are hard to kill, apparently

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, I was hoping the Stars would grab him before Florida did. he's a great player and clearly brings energy to the group. these 8th seed bastards are hard to kill, apparently

Because they're a whole lot closer to last season's Prez winner than a #8 seed.

Tkachuk is a fucking beast.

And grab who? Duclair or Tkachuk? Duclair has been with FLA for a few seasons, I think. Tkachuk was traded by the Calgary Flames with 4th round draft pick in 2025 to the Florida Panthers for 1st round draft pick in 2025 lottery protected, Jonathan Huberdeau, Cole Schwindt and MacKenzie Weegar. The Stars had nothing anywhere near that to offer for Tkachuk.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Because they're a whole lot closer to last season's Prez winner than a #8 seed.

Tkachuk is a fucking beast.

And grab who? Duclair or Tkachuk? Duclair has been with FLA for a few seasons, I think. Tkachuk was traded by the Calgary Flames with 4th round draft pick in 2025 to the Florida Panthers for 1st round draft pick in 2025 lottery protected, Jonathan Huberdeau, Cole Schwindt and MacKenzie Weegar. The Stars had nothing anywhere near that to offer for Tkachuk.

I was talking about when Duclair was on the trade block a few seasons ago. I was hoping the Stars would make a play for him. no way we could afford Tkachuk without giving the farm away

• Hook 'Em 1

Panthers are a salty as hell 8 seed. Lots of talent up and down the lineup. That power play goal in OT was as good as it gets. 

They’re not your typical 8 seed. Won the Prez last year but had an up-and-down regular season in the harder conference. Beat Boston and Toronto, the latter easily. Anybody sleeping on the Panthers now is crazy, especially if Bobrovsky is playing well. They could very easily win the whole fucking thing.

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Damn, every CF in both sports is a whooping so far. 

Four of the five hockey games have gone to OT, one went four OTs. The fifth game was a 1-0 game where the winning goalie stood on his head.

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

Insane -- three GWG in this series. I've run out of words to describe this dude's play.

he helped get me to my fantasy hockey finals. just like last season, though, my team petered out the last week with injuries and being sat for playoff prep. Calgary has to be beside themselves - good.

• Like 1

whether Dallas or Vegas, they will have their hands full for sure. Taking off my Victory Green colored glasses for a moment, I think Vegas' D would fare better than Dallas' would, but I think Dallas has higher-skilled forwards that can counteract Tkachuk and others. I just don't know if Vegas has the goalie chops right now to make the difference. Otter has been spotty but seems to come on late in series. Hoping the Stars at least make things super interesting tonight and extend their season. From there I think it's gravy (of course, I HOPE they go on).

Doesn't make a shit but VGK went 1-1-0 vs FLA and the Stars were 2-0-0. This isn't that Florida team.

I wonder what effect the extended layoff has on Florida. The Panthers have the better goalie IMO but Vegas has a better overall defense, which kind of allows Hill to do his thing. I also thought Oettinger over Hill was a substantial mismatch in the WCF and that didn’t play out. Vegas’ six defensemen are outstanding. I think Vegas wins in six or seven. (But I wouldn’t be surprised to see FLA win this one based on Tkachuk doing Tkachuk things and Bobrovsky posting a .950 save percentage.)