Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

Can't believe the NHL still hasn't dropped the entire series schedule for round 2 beyond the first 2 games for any team yet.  I know it probably has something to do with scheduling conflicts in Seattle (and who knows what other cities) but it's pretty crazy their are almost certainly thousands of die hard fans wanting to make travel plans and still no plans as of Tues afternoon.  Compare and contrast to the NBA who will release all 7 games  within minutes of series being settled (and obviously start working out all the possible matchups well in advance of each series).   Between player safety being all over the place + zero fucks given for central teams when scheduling home games (which is such a short-sighted approach when you should be cultivating fandom from kids who will be asleep for 3/4 of playoff games) it's such a poorly run league compared to the others.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Can't believe the NHL still hasn't dropped the entire series schedule for round 2 beyond the first 2 games for any team yet.  I know it probably has something to do with scheduling conflicts in Seattle (and who knows what other cities) but it's pretty crazy their are almost certainly thousands of die hard fans wanting to make travel plans and still no plans as of Tues afternoon.  Compare and contrast to the NBA who will release all 7 games  within minutes of series being settled (and obviously start working out all the possible matchups well in advance of each series).   Between player safety being all over the place + zero fucks given for central teams when scheduling home games (which is such a short-sighted approach when you should be cultivating fandom from kids who will be asleep for 3/4 of playoff games) it's such a poorly run league compared to the others.

"garage league"

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm kinda shocked that over 80% of the hockey media is picking EDM over VGK.  That series seems more like a tossup to me.

2 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

McJesus + Canadien market = hockey media dream. 

Dallas and Edmonton were 1-2 in SRS rating this year with the highest goal differential in the West so it shouldn't be too surprising. The Oilers beat Vegas three out of four times this season as well. Should be a fun series, though.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Dallas and Edmonton were 1-2 in SRS rating this year with the highest goal differential in the West so it shouldn't be too surprising. The Oilers beat Vegas three out of four times this season as well. Should be a fun series, though.

I just look at Edmonton and think about how long it has been since a team that played like that won the Cup.

Edited by Beau Vine
or puck

Just now, Colonel Sanders said:

God I miss Doc Emrick.  This crew is so boring to listen to.

Truth.

I think McDonough is a great PBP guy for everything, and he was really on the game last night in NY-NJ G7.

But Emrick was just the best.  

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

He’s just not very good

As goes the hockey code in the playoffs: defense and goaltending win championships. Unless and until it isn't true, it is. I think the leafs already peaked. And it's probably OK. Maybe not for next season. But that's for then. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As goes the hockey code in the playoffs: defense and goaltending win championships. Unless and until it isn't true, it is. I think the leafs already peaked. And it's probably OK. Maybe not for next season. But that's for then. 

I’m struggling to remember if the Leafs have had a world-class goalie since Cujo. Belfour had his moments but he was well into his twilight years by the time he got there.