FedEx shipment missing / stolen

My wife ordered about $1,000 worth of clothes from an online retailer. For whatever reason, the checkout process switched the shipping address to a house we lived in 6 years ago. No clue why because she orders from them semi regularly and it always arrives at our current address which is saved on her account.

The FedEx tracking shows it was delivered on 3/28 with a picture of it on the doorstep of our former house. One of the items shipped separately and also arrived on 4/1.

I still had a phone number in the closing documents for the person who bought the house, so I texted her to ask if she still lived there and if we could send a friend by to retrieve the packages. She still owns the house but it is now Airbnb and she lives in another town. She said the tenants had messaged her that 2 packages were received and they set them inside the house. The owner gave me the number of her local property manager (let’s call her Karen) and said to contact Karen to arrange for our friend to pick them up.

I called Karen who was out of town but said she would get them to our friend when she returned in a few days. It seemed simple enough but then Karen became slow to respond to my texts and calls and it took from 4/4 until 4/13 when she finally said she left it on the front porch for our friend to get. Our friend went and there was only one package, which was the second smaller package. The first one, which has $900 worth of dresses in it, was not there.

I messaged Karen and tried calling her to ask about the other package. She was slow to respond but now says there was only one package. She says the other package was something else that got delivered to the wrong house and she took it to them already.

I called the owner of the house who was super friendly and helpful and reviewed her Ring camera footage from the day of delivery, which shows our package being delivered at the house, and later shows Karen taking the exact same package to her car. She sent me screenshots.

At this point I’m starting to suspect Karen is lying so I searched Facebook marketplace for some of the items and I found a person in their city selling them. Same dresses, same sizes, new with tags.

I messaged the seller last night and offered to buy them. I was friendly towards her and offered to pay for shipping. She said she was selling them for a friend but they are no longer for sale because her friend wanted them back. I asked the friend’s name and she confirmed it was Karen. Busted. When I explained the situation she said she actually worked for Karen but that Karen owed her money and they aren’t on good terms. She suggested I talk to Karen.

I texted Karen about it, told her I have a pretty good idea of what happened and I just wanted the stuff back. I would pay her a finder’s fee plus shipping if she would simply locate the items and return it to us. Then we could put the whole thing behind us. Karen said she’s on a flight home and she would contact me today once she figures out what’s going.

My question is, if she refuses to give it back, do I have any recourse against her? I have video of her putting the package in her car, screenshots of the merchandise for sale on Facebook, and screenshots of the conversation with the seller in which she says Karen gave her the merchandise. Should I file a police report to report it stolen, in hopes that it would motivate her to play ball? Is this a small claims court situation?

TLDR:

1. Wife’s online order ($900 of clothes) delivered to wrong address

2. Delivery address is an Airbnb

3. Airbnb property manager took the package and gave it to an acquaintance to sell

4. I would like to know if there is a way to get it back

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

My question is, if she refuses to give it back, do I have any recourse against her? I have video of her putting the package in her car, screenshots of the merchandise for sale on Facebook, and screenshots of the conversation with the seller in which she says Karen gave her the merchandise. Should I file a police report to report it stolen, in hopes that it would motivate her to play ball? Is this a small claims court situation?

I feel like with that much evidence that's a police report situation. That's theft of $900 - that isn't money she owes you that she isn't paying (or some dispute where there's two sides to the story).

Maybe the hassle isn't worth $900 to you but I'd say it's worth it from a justice perspective to try and nail some asshole package thief.

Do you have her license plate on video?

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I feel like with that much evidence that's a police report situation. That's theft of $900 - that isn't money she owes you that she isn't paying (or some dispute where there's two sides to the story).
Maybe the hassle isn't worth $900 to you but I'd say it's worth it from a justice perspective to try and nail some asshole package thief.
Do you have her license plate on video?

I don’t have her license plate but the owners of the house do. They have a driveway cam that shows her getting in the car. They have been surprisingly helpful and they seem a little pissed off that their management person has been exposed for being a sketchy person.

I want the merchandise back because:
A) it’s $900
B) my wife paid for something she hasn’t received and would have to choose between buying it again or living without it
C) the principle of the matter - someone stole something that doesn’t belong to her and I know exactly who she is, where she lives, her phone number, and I don’t want her to get away with it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I don’t have her license plate but the owners of the house do. They have a driveway cam that shows her getting in the car. They have been surprisingly helpful and they seem a little pissed off that their management person has been exposed for being a sketchy person.

A) it’s $900
B) my wife paid for something she hasn’t received and would have to choose between buying it again or living without it
C) the principle of the matter - someone stole something that doesn’t belong to her and I know exactly who she is, where she lives, her phone number, and I don’t want her to get away with it.

I think package theft generally carries stricter penalties as well. I'd just threaten her with calling the cops and I bet you'd get your money and/or clothes back. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I think package theft generally carries stricter penalties as well. I'd just threaten her with calling the cops and I bet you'd get your money and/or clothes back. 

Yep, a threat of calling the cops if we don't get our stuff by Friday is what I would do.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Is it really theft if it was delivered to the wrong address because you failed to check that you were having it delivered to the correct address?

Sec. 31.03. THEFT. (a) A person commits an offense if he unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner of property.

(b) Appropriation of property is unlawful if:

(1) it is without the owner's effective consent;

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it really theft if it was delivered to the wrong address because you failed to check that you were having it delivered to the correct address?

Well given that she didn’t pay for the stuff, she doesn’t own or live at the house, and she removed something from a house she is employed to take care of, I would say that is the very definition of theft.

You could argue that we made a mistake that allowed our shipment to be in the wrong place, but there is no argument to be made that she had any claim to that package. She stole it and lied to us and to the owners of the house.
  • Like 1

Oh, and, this is your fault. 

Sure, but it’s an honest simple mistake, and human decency would involve returning a package to the rightful owner, or at least allowing them to pick it up from you. It takes a pretty scummy person to be in this situation and feel like it’s okay to sell the contents of a package that was mistakenly delivered to a house you are paid to take care of.

20 minutes ago, Updawg said:

At least the home owners know they should fire her ass and let that company know why. Who knows what else she has done or will do

This !  Karen and her friend appear to be "sketchy" individuals with financial issues.    Karen likely told her friend to take the items off Facebook after the call from the owner.

22 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Sure, but it’s an honest simple mistake, and human decency would involve returning a package to the rightful owner, or at least allowing them to pick it up from you. It takes a pretty scummy person to be in this situation and feel like it’s okay to sell the contents of a package that was mistakenly delivered to a house you are paid to take care of.

Inform the owner of the latest conversation with Karen.   May want to ask for her assistance and telling Karen to return the items by Tuesday.    Also,  mention that Karen has possibly violated federal law 18 U.S.C 1708.    May want to call the postal office for advice on reporting the incident.

Even if the item is not returned, if the item is not retained with the intent of possessing it unlawfully, then the innocent recipient does not violate § 1708. If the recipient later develops the intent to possess the item unlawfully, such as when the recipient later decides to cash the check inside the letter, then the item is stolen, and the recipient unlawfully possesses the item and violates § 1708.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/theft-or-receipt-of-stolen-mail-53760

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Sec. 31.03. THEFT. (a) A person commits an offense if he unlawfully appropriates property with intent to deprive the owner of property.

(b) Appropriation of property is unlawful if:

(1) it is without the owner's effective consent;

My argument would be that you intentionally had it delivered to me, so it wasn't unlawful appropriation; it was a gift.  It wasn't delivered to the wrong address; it was delivered to the exact location you requested that it be delivered.  Since you gifted it to me, I'm the owner, not you.  If you file a police report I will get you charged with filing a false report.  If you don't stop harassing me, I will get a restraining order against you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My argument would be that you intentionally had it delivered to me, so it wasn't unlawful appropriation; it was a gift.  It wasn't delivered to the wrong address; it was delivered to the exact location you requested that it be delivered.  Since you gifted it to me, I'm the owner, not you.  If you file a police report I will get you charged with filing a false report.  If you don't stop harassing me, I will get a restraining order against you.

Was your name on it? No? It wasn’t intentionally delivered to you. 

Good luck with that argument. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The way you can tell this was intentionally delivered to her was the way it didn’t have her name on it. Or her address on it. But went to an AirBnB she manages. Sure, make that argument. Or that the neighbor’s dog told you to do it. Or whatever. File a demonstrably frivolous police report, too. Should work out well. Good luck. 

The package had neither her name nor her address on it. It had my wife’s name on it and the address of a house that does not belong to her. Under no circumstances can Karen claim this was a gift to her.

I would also argue that keeping packages with other people’s names on them is pretty shitty behavior. I’ve occasionally had a stray package show up at my house and I return them to the shipper to return to the sender. That’s just being a decent human bring.

it's no different than a porch pirate imo.  especially after you let her know it was yours and offered to come by and pick it up.  She stole it and is a thief.

I had a package delivered to our house.  box was beat to hell, like Ace Ventura level of damage 

VacantJoyousBlackpanther-size_restricted

did not see who the addressee was but i called UPS 5 times to come and get it.  Set the damn thing out 5 times and they never showed up and just said fuck it.  turns out it was a this huge bass amp.  looked it up and it was ~$500 or so.  daughter played bass at the time and we hooked it up once and now it clutters up the playroom.  csb for sure.

Inform the owner of the latest conversation with Karen.   May want to ask for her assistance and telling Karen to return the items by Tuesday.    Also,  mention that Karen has possibly violated federal law 18 U.S.C 1708.    May want to call the postal office for advice on reporting the incident.

Even if the item is not returned, if the item is not retained with the intent of possessing it unlawfully, then the innocent recipient does not violate § 1708. If the recipient later develops the intent to possess the item unlawfully, such as when the recipient later decides to cash the check inside the letter, then the item is stolen, and the recipient unlawfully possesses the item and violates § 1708.
https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/theft-or-receipt-of-stolen-mail-53760

FedEx ≠ USPS

Wilford Brimley won’t be investigating this one.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I’d write it off as careless ordering on your wife’s part and go on with life. 

Might as well accuse her of...breathing.

I reported it stolen to the police. They took pretty detailed information and said the detectives will probably want the security video and screenshots of all conversations, which I will happily provide to them.

I doubt I ever see the package or the money again. I also kind of doubt she will actually see any legal consequences because she can deny it. When she is shown on camera holding it, she can claim it's a different package since the video is not high enough resolution to show the label. Regarding the person selling the items on Facebook, she can deny knowing her or giving her those items. I sort of doubt the police will devote much time to pursuing it, but at least if they make her life miserable for a period of time and she gets fired from her property management job, that's some form of retribution.

I will have my wife talk to the online retailer to see if they will do anything, and it was purchase on a Chase Sapphire Reserve card which also has theft protection, so maybe one of those will be helpful for getting some money back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I reported it stolen to the police. They took pretty detailed information and said the detectives will probably want the security video and screenshots of all conversations, which I will happily provide to them.

I doubt I ever see the package or the money again. I also kind of doubt she will actually see any legal consequences because she can deny it. When she is shown on camera holding it, she can claim it's a different package since the video is not high enough resolution to show the label. Regarding the person selling the items on Facebook, she can deny knowing her or giving her those items. I sort of doubt the police will devote much time to pursuing it, but at least if they make her life miserable for a period of time and she gets fired from her property management job, that's some form of retribution.

I will have my wife talk to the online retailer to see if they will do anything, and it was purchase on a Chase Sapphire Reserve card which also has theft protection, so maybe one of those will be helpful for getting some money back.

Maybe nothing happens. But Karen the Thief is probably shitting bricks and will for a while. So IMO it's worth the effort to report her. 

On 4/17/2023 at 4:27 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

it’s always amusing to see which thread outs someone as a total fucktard.

congrats. 

• Haha 4

On 4/17/2023 at 11:27 AM, wild_turkey said:

A) it’s $900

I take it you're not in CA. Then it would simply be a $900 donation and the cops wouldn't give a shit. Damn thieves piss me off. Someone stole $80 worth of stuff out of our mailbox and my wife would knock them over the head with a bat if she knew who it was. I agree with you. More than the money, it's the principle.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted the formal info to the police so they can let the DA file criminal charges. It wouldn’t get me any money but it would potentially punish her for being a thief and there’s justice in that.

I told the package thief about this and initially she ghosted me for a week. I guess she thought I was bluffing or else wanted to take her chances with the legal system.

Today she messaged back and agreed to pay me via Venmo. She doesn’t have the full amount but I agreed to accept it in 3 payments. If she follows through on that, I will drop the police charges.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the interest of closing out this saga, the package thief paid me the full $982 via Venmo for the stolen package. I dropped the police case as a result.

Without knowing the full details on her side, it would appear that she paid full price for clothes that she likely sold for a fraction of the cost. I would also assume she lost her job as property manager of that particular Airbnb.

I feel like that’s enough punishment and hopefully a life lesson for her to not commit petty crimes of opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 3:05 PM, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I take it you're not in CA. Then it would simply be a $900 donation and the cops wouldn't give a shit. Damn thieves piss me off. Someone stole $80 worth of stuff out of our mailbox and my wife would knock them over the head with a bat if she knew who it was. I agree with you. More than the money, it's the principle.

You're a fucking idiot.