Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

Lol dude he's agreeing with you that LSU has had good receivers. It's the inability to consistently put together good offenses in spite of that talent that implies a level of waste. 
And this is coming from Texas fans. We know waste.

i get that, but in large part it’s a myth.

we averaged more ppg last year than you all did.

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

That's great but I don't think this board is disillusioned about our offense last year. It was solid--at times really good--but needs to be better.

LSU's offense has been good at times but not on a year-to-year basis. 

That's great but I don't think this board is disillusioned about our offense last year. It was solid--at times really good--but needs to be better.
LSU's offense has been good at times but not on a year-to-year basis. 

in light of us having a first year transfer QB who arrived in June, an entire backfield if first year starters with 4 combined TDs, and 3 of 4 first year WRs, i’ll take the 2018 stats. but we’re not satisfied either.

all of those return except for a tailback, who we’re replacing with a 5 star (Emery) and a 4 star (Davis). we’ll start 2 5 star WRs (Marshall and Chase) along with 2 other 4s, and return our QB. and 4 of 5 OL starters are back.

plus have the NOLA Saints RPO/passing game coordinator on staff doing the same thing for us he did for the Saints.

we expect big things. just like you all do.

and for what it’s worth, it’s the new coach that’s grabbing the WR recruiting talent. he’ll be our OC after this season.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just an fyi on stuff others will use to recruit against Big 12

"Big 12 continues to slide"    (ESPN)

"For the eighth straight year, the Big 12 tied for or had outright the least amount of draft picks by a Power 5 conference. A year after having just 20 players drafted, the Big 12 had only 26 come off the board this year. Although the conference celebrated having the No. 1 back for the second straight year, it had just 10 more players come off the board before the fourth round started.  Oklahoma had an impressive showing with eight draftees, but the next-closest was West Virginia with five, and the three Texas schools -- Texas, Texas Tech and TCU -- accounted for just six total selections. A year after having four players taken in the 2018 draft, Texas had only DE Charles Omenihu in the fifth round to the Houston Texans and DB Kris Boyd go in the seventh round to the Minnesota Vikings. Texas has had just eight players drafted in the past four years. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SEC was the only conference to record double-digit draftees in any round this year, getting 10 or more players drafted in the second (13), fifth (10) and sixth (10) rounds.  The SEC had nine first-rounders this year -- the eighth time the conference led the nation in first-round picks in the past nine years. The conference also had 22 picks in the first two rounds this year, breaking its own record of 21. And with 28 players drafted in the first three rounds, this was the third consecutive year the SEC saw 25 or more players selected through the first three rounds of the draft.  

This also marked the fifth straight year the SEC had 50 or more players taken in the NFL draft. Only once in the past 25 years has another conference had 50 or more players drafted (ACC, 2006).  Ninety-six SEC players have been drafted in the first round of the NFL draft over the past 10 years, and the conference has averaged more than nine opening-round picks per year during the past 13 years.

One positive is Tennessee had no player drafted in the 2019 Draft.  Also good to see 3 other SEC teams with only 3 selections (LSU, Arky, S.Car).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26629222/success-failures-college-conferences-teams-year-nfl-draft

The state of UGA didn't come out from the draft looking great earlier. Seems several prospects from the state were really over-rated.

5 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

The great misunderstood high flying LSU offenses. Right.

Take this shit back to your homeboard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

That is only due to the outlier of the A&M game. If you take out UT and LSU's highest scoring games, then UT has a higher ppg. 

So LSU currently has 4 OOS commits who are .98s or higher, including two kids from California, one from DC, and one from Virginia

The recent commitment run over the last month or so they've gone on includes:

3/23: WDE Demon Clowney, #135 ranked prospect in the country, Maryland
4/10: DB Lorando Johnson, #178, Texas
4/19: LB Josh White, #286, Texas
4/20: Jermaine Burton, #35, California

4/27: WR Rakim Jarrett, #19, Washington DC
4/29: LB Antoine Sampah, #32, Virginia

Pretty surprising and remarkable to me

4 hours ago, Fud said:

So LSU currently has 4 OOS commits who are .98s or higher, including two kids from California, one from DC, and one from Virginia

The recent commitment run over the last month or so they've gone on includes:

A few days ago, Orgeron was quoted saying he wanted to recruit nationwide this cycle. When he first became head coach he said he would focus mostly on Louisiana recruits. 

Edited by Skyline

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

None of their recruiting will matter much with that retard as head coach.

I don't know... he won't get them to the promised land, but the truth of the matter is, as big of an idiot as Orgeron has proven to be over time, he's still at least on a par with most of the other coaches in the SEC. That conference is chock full of morons with whistles.

• Like 1

247Sports: Which recruiting site won the NFL Draft?

At 247Sports, the NFL Draft is our measuring stick. It’s how we take stock in whether we got our high school rankings right or wrong. Freshmen All-American teams are great. All-Conference and All-American accolades count for something. Ultimately though, our final evaluation comes from the collection of NFL GMs and scouting departments that spend countless man-hours literally grading the college careers of the high school prospects we once projected.

But what good is a test if you don’t check your scores? With that in mind, we’ve taken a pick-by-pick analysis of the 2019 NFL Draft to determine where 247Sports’ rankings (not to be confused with the 247Sports Composite) stacked up with the rest of the industry at large, specifically Rivals.com and ESPN. For every NFL Draft pick that was ranked by at least one site as a four-star or better out of high school, we graded which site most accurately ranked him relative to his draft order. We also awarded a bonus if a site had a first rounder ranked inside the top 32 nationally and assessed a penalty if a site had a three-star or lower ranking on a prospect that one of the other sites had as a four-star or better.

On the whole, 121 of the 254 players drafted (48 percent), were ranked by at least one site as a four-star or better coming out of high school or junior college. Walk-ons and small college players that went unevaluated out of high school bump that percentage up to at least 54 percent. Industry-wide, the correlation between highly-rated players and successful college careers is strong and continues to grow. Within the industry, here’s how the 2019 NFL Draft shook out, ranked most accurate to least accurate.

First round
1. 247Sports
2. Rivals.com
3. ESPN

Of the 20 first round picks that had been identified as an NFL talent by at least one of the three networks, there were only three that 247Sports gave the least accurate ranking to. 247Sports’ big win was our No. 22 five-star ranking on defensive end Brian Burns, who ended up going 16th out of Florida State. Rivals.com ranked Burns 65th nationally and ESPN had him down at No. 160. 247Sports was also the only site to have a four-star grade on Alabama running back Josh Jacobs. The bad news for 247Sports is that we were the only network to have a three-star grade on Devin Bush and had Marquise Brown ranked as a high three-star instead of a four-star out of junior college unlike the other two sites.

For Rivals, the biggest accomplishment was likely having Quinnen Williams the highest, all the way up at No. 106 nationally. He was 180 by 247Sports and 236 by ESPN. Rivals was also the most accurate on Jeffery Simmons, ranking him 15th in the nation while he was 33rd and 84th, respectively, by 247Sports and ESPN. The big miss on Rivals came from having Kyler Murray ranked 71st in the country while both ESPN and 247Sports had him inside the first round range. Rivals was also the lowest on Devin White, ranking him outside its Top250 while ESPN had him 166 and 247Sports had him at 151.

ESPN can take pride in having the highest and most accurate ranking for the top two picks in Kyler Murray (13) and Nick Bosa (3). A couple of the ESPN missteps included being the only site to have a 3-star grade on Kaleb McGary and ranking Jerry Tillery all the way down at No. 280.

Top100
1. 247Sports
2. Rivals.com
3. ESPN

Strong results in round 2 and 3 for 247Sports included the highest rankings of any service by a significant margin for Greedy Williams (173), Parris Campbell (129), Taylor Rapp (219) and Justin Layne (137). Among the Day Two misses for 247Sports: we were the only site that had a three-star grade on Auburn CB Jamel Dean and we had the lowest ranking on JoeJuan Williams (269) but there were only four instances in rounds two and three that 247Sports had the least accurate ranking.

For Rivals, the Day Two wins include a No. 40 ranking on Byron Murphy (146 on 247Sports and 187 on ESPN). It was the only site to have a four-star rating on Cody Ford and Mike Edwards and it had the highest ranking of anybody (156) on Miles Boykin. The misses included going too high with Damien Harris (all the way up at No. 😎 and too low with Taylor Rapp and Lonnie Johnson (the only site that had them as three-stars).

ESPN’s Day Two big wins included being the only site that had Irv Smith Jr. as a four-star, ranking Jalen Hurd appropriately at No. 70 and catching Jace Sternberger as a four-star level prospect out of junior college. Conversely it was the only site to have three-star grades on Chase Winovich and Germain Pratt and it had DK Metcalf way too low down at No. 242.

Full Draft
1. 247Sports
2. Rivals.com
3. ESPN

Day Three of the NFL Draft was much more volatile with each network winning at least one round but 247Sports still landed on top for the weekend due in part to wins like being the only site to have Iowa’s Amani Hooker as a four-star in Round 4. We hit D’Andre Walker’s ranking right on the head in Round 5 (ranked 165, picked 168). We hit on Kaden Smith in Round 6 by having the lowest ranking (83) of the three sites. Also, Kentucky OL George-Asafo-Adjei’s four-star grade was a win in Round 7 and a late drop of Isaac Nauta from five-star to four-star made us the most accurate on him within the industry.

A strong Round 4 for Rivals.com included being the only site to rank Notre Dame’s Julian Love and Oklahoma’s Dru Samia as four-stars. It also was rewarded by going lowest (97) with Jarrett Stidham. ESPN’s lone win came in Round 5. In that round, it was the only site to rank Vosean Joseph a four-star, and it had the most accurate rankings on Clayton Thorson (157) and Darius Slayton (192).

10 hours ago, TexasMan said:

How did Notre Dame lose this recruitment?

He thought transubstantiation was ND's new inclusive policy towards trans people, but then found out what they really meant and it understandably freaked him out. With Liberty not too far away, he realized he could be worshipped and play some relatively quality football. 

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Two big ones coming up....DJU on May 5th and Myles Murphy on May 17th. DJU could start a little domino effect when he commits.... 

Has anyone knowledgeable in Clemson recruiting done a class prediction yet?

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Two big ones coming up....DJU on May 5th and Myles Murphy on May 17th. DJU could start a little domino effect when he commits.... 

Does anyone know what are considered the best recruiting classes ever, becuase I’m thinking Clemson’s class this year is gonna be up there in terms of all time classes.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Does anyone know what are considered the best recruiting classes ever, becuase I’m thinking Clemson’s class this year is gonna be up there in terms of all time classes.

My mom is up there in terms of your all time list.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:42 AM, Fud said:

So LSU currently has 4 OOS commits who are .98s or higher, including two kids from California, one from DC, and one from Virginia. The recent commitment run over the last month or so they've gone on includes:

Yeah, LSU pretty salty with their recruiting for 2020 Class so far.  Adding asst from Saints staff may really improve weaknesses in their passing offense.

The match-ups of Texas vs LSU in 2019 and 2020 could be epic Battles....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So what's the story with that #1 QB recruit DJ Ukelele having Mt. San Antonio College in his top 3? I thought it was a joke at first but he really does have them up there. 

He has a couple family members coaching there.

23 hours ago, Fud said:

Has anyone knowledgeable in Clemson recruiting done a class prediction yet?

For the most part, yes. It should be a smaller class, around 23 or so recruits. There are a few positions that have a clearly identified leader and other spots that don't have anyone on the radar. Most people knowledgeable in Clemson recruiting are confident with them adding DJU, Myles Murphy, and Demarkcus Bowman within the next month or so. 

That would bring the class to 15. The remaining spots are looking like this... 

RB - 1 more - Daniyel Ngata or Kobe Pryor 

WR - 2-3 - most think it will be Julian Fleming, EJ Williams, and one of Xzavier Henderson or Keandre Lambert

TE - 1 ??? 

DE - Burch (but I think he will go to UofSC) 

DB - 1-2 more but not clearly identified 

LB - I think Clemson is full here, but I also think that they offer and sign Trenton Simpson as an obersign because they really really like him. 

22 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm not sure what the highest ranked class ever is, but if it plays out the way it is trending at the moment, then Clemson could absolutely take that spot. A conservative projection would have 5 five star recruits in the class, but if they hit on all targets, it could be a class with 7-8 five star recruits. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'm not sure what the highest ranked class ever is, but if it plays out the way it is trending at the moment, then Clemson could absolutely take that spot. A conservative projection would have 5 five star recruits in the class, but if they hit on all targets, it could be a class with 7-8 five star recruits. 

That's scary, because one of the keys to Clemson's success has been an abnormally high hit rate on the 5*s they sign 

1 hour ago, rvm96 said:

I still don't get the Mickens offer and commit with how selective Clemson gets to be.

They actually generally take a lot of three stars, who then end up hanging around for five years 

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

They actually generally take a lot of three stars, who then end up hanging around for five years 

So given that Mickens' rep is that he's a maxed-out camp star, I assume the play is that they'll put him in the narrow role he definitely can succeed in and not ask him to do too much?