Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

So given that Mickens' rep is that he's a maxed-out camp star, I assume the play is that they'll put him in the narrow role he definitely can succeed in and not ask him to do too much?

You can be a difference maker at safety if you're smart, process plays quickly, and are skilled, even if you're not a plus athlete 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jonathan-Odom-46058812/

1. b1ub2xoapns6iwro7qwg_normal.jpeg

ICYMI: While at the NFL Draft, Ed Orgeron decided to FaceTime some top recruits.

While eating with friends, TE Jonathan Odom's cell phone buzzed. @LukeStampini caught up with him for more as #LSU makes a huge push to reel Odom into the 2020 class. https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Tigers-football-recruiting-Tampa-tight-end-Jonathan-Odom-FaceTime-NFL-Draft-Ed-Orgeron-131726563/ 

11 hours ago, Fud said:

They actually generally take a lot of three stars, who then end up hanging around for five years 

I know they do like the safety commit last year, but Mickens doesn't fit that billing. 

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

So given that Mickens' rep is that he's a maxed-out camp star, I assume the play is that they'll put him in the narrow role he definitely can succeed in and not ask him to do too much?

Do you know anything about his 40 times.  

ESPN shows 4.68,  but I don't know where they got that time from.  I don't think he's even that fast.  

Is Haynes King related to Case McCoy... 😀

Sam Spiegelman    @samspiegs

Had the chance to watch Longview QB Haynes King throw. Talented dual-threat with an impressive offer sheet, but doesn't post to social media. #GigEm offered this week, joining Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, Oregon, Arkansas + Duke, among others 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:42 AM, Fud said:

So LSU currently has 4 OOS commits who are .98s or higher, including two kids from California, one from DC, and one from Virginia

The recent commitment run over the last month or so they've gone on includes:

3/23: WDE Demon Clowney, #135 ranked prospect in the country, Maryland
4/10: DB Lorando Johnson, #178, Texas
4/19: LB Josh White, #286, Texas
4/20: Jermaine Burton, #35, California

4/27: WR Rakim Jarrett, #19, Washington DC
4/29: LB Antoine Sampah, #32, Virginia

Pretty surprising and remarkable to me

Breakdown: LSU's 2020 Commits... How Orgeron foretold LSU's national success in 2020

By SHEA DIXON May 1, 11:24 AM

The question posed to Ed Orgeron on National Signing Day in February was simple.  With an expected down recruiting cycle for top talent in Louisiana compared to year’s past, and coming off a double-digit win season and New Year’s Six Bowl win, was this staff ready to take recruiting to a national scale?  “Yes, for sure,” Orgeron said.

What Orgeron said next would foretell what played out over the next three months. Now sitting on the No. 1 class in the country on the 247Sports Team Rankings, LSU has 14 total commitments, just three of which play high school football in Louisiana.  “Obviously we are going to recruit the state of Louisiana first,” Orgeron said on Signing Day. “But there has been interest from the state of California that has come to us. There has been interest from Arizona that has come to us. There has been interest from Baltimore that has come to us. And it was legit.

When Orgeron spoke to the media that day, LSU had six total commitments.  And for the most part, it was business as usual. Three of the commitments were from Louisiana, one from Texas and one from Georgia, fitting right in line with how the Tigers typically put together a recruiting class.  But on a day where Orgeron spent 95-percent of the time talking about the 2019 class his staff just reeled in, he offered up a few minutes to look ahead to the 2020 class, and he not-so-subtly hinted at a national push unlike anything the program had seen in recent memory. California, the Baltimore and Washington D.C. areas and Arizona had all been name-dropped by Orgeron.

That’s where the sixth name on the commitment list comes into play.  The Tigers had already landed California five-star Elias Ricks on Christmas Day, giving LSU the nation’s No. 1 cornerback prospect and a key piece to what would become a big push out West.  “We have a commitment already from California,” Orgeron said. “We feel like we are going to get more. I think there is a lot of interest there.”  Turned out Orgeron was onto something.

With UCLA and USC both down, Orgeron found himself in an interesting position. It’s one of California’s deepest recruiting classes in recent memory, and he wasn’t going to show up as a stranger from halfway across the country to the recruits on the board. Orgeron had been an assistant coach and later interim head coach for the Trojans, and he knew the state top to bottom. More importantly, Orgeron and his staff knew the hot beds - and the coaches and people to tap into there.  A little more than one week after Orgeron talked up an ongoing push in California, LSU landed commitment No. 2 from the state in Narbonne defensive lineman Jordan Berry. Two months later, the Tigers had a commitment in from California four-star wide receiver Jermaine Burton out of Calabasas, giving LSU’s class another one of the state’s elite prospects.

The Tigers even landed a commitment from Norco four-star linebacker Jaden Navarrette, though he would backtrack and flip to Oregon a couple weeks later. No matter, Orgeron and Co. had already reeled in three of the state’s best prospects, and it appears they aren’t done yet.  California’s No. 1 prospect, five-star linebacker Justin Flowe, made an unofficial visit to LSU this spring and plans to return for an official visit, putting the Tigers squarely in the mix there. The state’s top running back, five-star Kendall Milton, also made an unofficial visit to LSU this spring, and like Flowe, he plans to now make a return trip to Baton Rouge for a three-day official visit.

The last time the Tigers signed a California prospect was in 2013 when four-star quarterback Hayden Rettig inked with LSU. He would redshirt and transfer the following spring...The same year Rettig arrived at LSU, Orgeron was named Southern Cal’s interim head coach.  Six years later, Orgeron is the head coach in Baton Rouge and is bringing in the first crop of California prospects the Tigers have had since then, and it’s a group that could largely define how good - or great - LSU’s class ultimately becomes.

But don’t forget about what’s happening on the other end of the country.  Orgeron had never coached in Maryland, Virginia or Washington, D.C. But he seemed confident in February that, without any commitments from the area, the Tigers were going to have a chance to do something special there.  Word was reaching the coaching staff that players in the area were interested in LSU, and high school coaches let Orgeron know that the interest was sincere.  Just like that, Orgeron hopped on a plane to spend a week recruiting the state in January, and then followed that trip up by sending his assistants to do the same.  “We went out there and obviously evaluated those guys, and it’s my first time to go and recruit up there,” Orgeron said on Signing Day. “The amount of players in that area was surprising to me. The amount of interest in the SEC, and other schools have gone up there and done a very good job.

“A lot of those schools are following the IMG model, getting other players to come there. So you get a little pocket here and a little pocket there. You can go to one school, and it’s like one-stop shopping. There are so many players there. So, there is a lot of interest.  “We went there three times to evaluate, and I have only been there once. And I sent (defensive coordinator) Dave Aranda there one time, and I sent (safeties coach) Bill Busch there another time. There is some big interest there.”

Just like he had a hunch the Tigers could make waves in California, Orgeron was spot-on with his take from the other side of the map.  Since January’s trip to the East Coast and Orgeron’s comments on National Signing Day, the Tigers have knocked down dominos one after another.  First came a commitment from Baltimore four-star edge rusher Demon Clowney, the younger cousin of former South Carolina star Jadeveon Clowney. Next, Washington, D.C., five-star wide receiver Rakim Jarrett popped for the Tigers. Most recently, Virginia four-star linebacker Antoine Sampahshocked the recruiting world and picked LSU, pointing to his relationship with defensive coordinator Dave Aranda and LSU’s big push in the 2020 class as key.  The common theme: the Tigers recruited them to get to campus, and once they visited, each joined LSU’s class shortly thereafter.

Between the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia, there are 19 prospects from the 2020 class who claim offers from LSU, and three are already committed. That leaves big names still on the board and in play for LSU's class, ranging from five-star Mekhail Sherman to four-star safety Jordan Toles and down the line.   With the No. 1 recruiting class in the country, five of LSU’s six highest-ranked commitments on the 247Sports Composite are from California, Washington D.C., Virginia and Maryland.

What about Arizona? It was the other spot Orgeron mentioned on National Signing Day, but the Tigers don't have any of the state's commitments on board. That could change soon, and the volume of offers the Tigers are handing out in the state proves just that. The top target: Lathan Ransom, the nation's No. 2 safety prospect. Ransom and his family made an official visit to Baton Rouge this past weekend, and the Tigers quickly picked up some predictions on his 247Sports Crystal Ball.  Nine total Arizona prospects for the 2020 class claim offers from LSU's staff, a 180-flip from the staff's approach in the state the year prior when just one high school prospect landed an offer from the Tigers (though they did sign Arizona JUCO defensive end Soni Fonua, who is expected to contribute for the Tigers next fall). LSU's even doubled the 2019 offer total in Arizona for next cycle's 2021 class, extending two offers to current high school sophomores - including an offer out this week to the state's No. 1 prospect in defensive lineman Quintin Somerville.

College coaches often get criticized for what they say at a podium when it doesn’t translate to results away from the microphone. But for Orgeron, a handful of comments at the end of a 2019 Signing Day press conference was essentially him dropping breadcrumbs to reporters and fans to follow where the Tigers were taking the 2020 class.

A fence around Louisiana for recruiting and taking your efforts nationally can be mutually exclusive, and Orgeron was more than ready to dive into the deep end for the best recruits the country had to offer - no matter where they play high school football.  “National brand,” Orgeron said when asked why recruits were paying such close attention to LSU despite not living in Louisiana or surrounding states. “They watch us on TV all the time. They love the Tigers and love Tiger Stadium. DBU. They say all our great players are playing in the NFL. Playing in the SEC West. Crowded stadiums every week. They see all the guys coming out of the SEC that are drafted in the NFL. The SEC and SEC West are the place they want to come.  “That’s what they are telling me.”

Orgeron and the staff listened, and now the Tigers are going blow-for-blow with teams like Alabama and Clemson in the race for which college program can recruit the best talent in the country.  And, at least for now, LSU’s the team sitting in the top spot.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Tigers-football-recruiting-2020-class-Ed-Orgeron-national-recruiting-California-Washington-Virginia-Arizona-Maryland-131695930/

Edited by LTtxfan

LSU Podcast in link below.....

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/Rakim-Jarrett-Jermaine-Burton-Kayshon-Boutte-LSU-Football-recruiting-wide-receiver-class-best-in-country-2020-131674094/

How LSU assembled the best wide receiver class in 2020

By  BILLY EMBODY May 1, 3:23 pm

LSU currently sits with the No. 1 2020 recruiting class in the country, according to the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings and it's too early to tell if that'll hold through National Signing Day, but if their commits hold at the wide receiver position, it's tough to beat the group assembled by the Tigers. With five-star Rakim Jarrett and four-stars Jermaine Burton and Kayshon Boutte, Geaux247's Shea Dixon said on the Geaux247 Podcast that it's the best in the country.

It wasn't done overnight though, as LSU held early commitments from early Top247 prospects Darin Turner and Kris Abrams-Draine. Both receivers eventually mutually parted ways with LSU. The staff had already been hard at work on three of the top seven receivers in the country now committed to them.

"Certainly from a rankings perspective and I think it would be argued from a talent perspective, they've upgraded with both," Dixon said on the podcast. "Now all of the sudden their class went from a couple of nice Top247 early receivers on board to three of the top seven receivers in the country."

With Jarrett, who is the latest to jump on board, LSU got the nation's No. 2 wide receiver committed after he took an official visit to Baton Rouge over the weekend. Dixon said his versatility and his toughness coming from one of the top programs in the country in Washington, D.C. St. John's is what makes him so highly-rated.

"As a prospect, at 6-0, 190, you can kind of play inside or out, that wouldn't really be a big issue. Speed is probably what jumps off the page," Dixon explained. "He looks tough on film. He certainly does a good job of tracking the ball and is really tough for anyone to get a body on him and keep up with him just because of how good of a route runner he is."

Is LSU done at the position? That's not for certain with in-state prospects like Koy Moore and Ja'Khi Douglas still uncommitted.

"With turnover coming on the roster, I bet they could add another and if it is a guy like Koy Moore. Let's say for instance you do get a Louisiana kid in the fold in addition to Boutte, you've got the two best players in-state at receiver and two of the receivers around the country and there'd be no argument to who had the No. 1 recruiting class in the country when it comes to wide receivers."

Edited by LTtxfan

LSU is still Bama's bitch.  Maybe all these recruits will help them crack 20 points one year?

76 January 9, 2012 New Orleans, LA #2 Alabama 21–0
77 November 3, 2012 Baton Rouge, LA #1 Alabama 21–17
78 November 9, 2013 Tuscaloosa, AL #1 Alabama 38–17
79 November 8, 2014 Baton Rouge, LA #5 Alabama 20–13OT
80 November 7, 2015 Tuscaloosa, AL #4 Alabama 30–16
81 November 5, 2016 Baton Rouge, LA #1 Alabama 10–0
82 November 4, 2017 Tuscaloosa, AL #2 Alabama 24–10
83 November 3, 2018 Baton Rouge, LA #1 Alabama 29–0
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Sylvester is a good get for them. They regularly produce good DL out of far less heralded/athletically gifted prospects. He'll be a problem over the next 3-4 years I'm sure.

He has a lot of upside. The criticism I heard from some who've seen him in person was the same criticism I heard of Ugwoegbu; might be soft

13 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

One of the Ohio St insiders has been adamant for a while that they’ll flip Ricks from LSU. It’d be interesting to see how that shakes up CB recruiting were it to happen. Yeah 

There's no way that's happening 

35 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

One of the Ohio St insiders has been adamant for a while that they’ll flip Ricks from LSU. It’d be interesting to see how that shakes up CB recruiting were it to happen. Yeah 

Word on the LSU boards are his family is moving to Louisiana for his senior year so I’d doubt he’s flipping anywhere. 

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

There's no way that's happening 

It seems far-fetched, but they seem to really trust Bill Kurelic. I don’t know how delusional tOSU fans are compared to other big fan bases though. 

Also, Clemson becoming Bama’s equal has really hurt them. They’re always complaining about Clemson and how much of a hack Dabo  is. They were primed to match Bama after 2014, but of course that never quite happened.

he’s just pissed off and lashing out because we’ve got Darrion Henry, Jaheim Thomas and Paris Johnson coming for their OVs.

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

Omar Manning is one of the top ranked JuCo WR's right now. Never thought I would see his name after he left TCU. 

He was apparently planning on coming back to TCU but then he changed his mind and decided he wanted to go to the $EC.  He is no longer on the radar at TCU.  

46 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

He was apparently planning on coming back to TCU but then he changed his mind and decided he wanted to go to the $EC.  He is no longer on the radar at TCU.  

Forgot about Omar Manning.... academic issues cited as reasons for transfer to Juco.

https://www.frogsowar.com/2018/7/15/17574604/wr-omar-manning-transferring-from-tcu

Julian Fleming’s recruitment will be interesting. It seems like Ohio St leads with Clemson not far behind. I don’t think Penn St is much of a player for him anymore.

Speaking of Penn St, they’ll likely miss on several of their top targets who they thought they had leads for about a year ago. Bresee, Fleming, MarShawn Lloyd and likely Michael Carmody (tOSU leads supposedly) will go elsewhere. Franklin probably needs to win the BIG East at minimum if they’re going to regain the momentum they had for ‘18 and ‘19.

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

I guess I should’ve said do you think he’ll end up at LSU? Obviously y’all have a shot if he’s taking an OV.

dunno...

i'll say this...since Burrow took transferred from OSU and has become a cult legend at LSU, there's huge momentum in Ohio with Ohioans being closet LSU fans.  and it helps.  given that the three visiting all go to the same HS, and with the way recruiting is going this year on a national level and the fact that we need a LT, i think there's legitimate chance (along with the OLB).  whether he commits is another issue, and if he does whether that sticks is a completely different issue.

but the momentum is very real....i'm just letting it unfold.  whatever happens, happens.

6 hours ago, Skyline said:

Omar Manning is one of the top ranked JuCo WR's right now. Never thought I would see his name after he left TCU. 

I came across his Hudl the other day.  The kids still looks really good.  I know it's juco but it looks like he takes what he wants out there.  

I hope he can figure it out because he looks like a player to me.

Edited by Post Oak

24 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

5 star OLB Mekhail Sherman commits to Georgia.

https://247sports.com/Player/Mekhail-Sherman-46043181/

Georgia adds top-ranked ILB to 2020 class

9:00 PM CT

Tom VanHaaren. ESPN Staff Writer

Georgia added ESPN 300 linebacker Mekhail Sherman to its 2020 class on Thursday when the No. 16-ranked recruit announced his commitment to the Bulldogs. Sherman had been considering Clemson, LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan at one point in his recruitment, but is now part of the Georgia class.  Sherman is a 6-foot-2, 233-pound linebacker from St. John's College High School in Washington, D.C., and is the No. 1-ranked inside linebacker in the class.

The Georgia staff was able to sign the No. 2 inside linebacker, Trezman Marshall, in the 2019 class along with ESPN 300 outside linebackers Nakobe Dean and Rian Davis. That class signed seven ESPN 300 recruits on the defensive side for 2019 and now, with Sherman on board, Georgia has three ESPN 300 defensive commits in its 2020 class.

This was an important commitment for Kirby Smart and his staff as it now gives them five ESPN 300 commitments in the No. 9-ranked class. Alabama and Clemson have 13 ESPN 300 commitments each, LSU has 10, Notre Dame holds seven and four teams have six apiece.

Georgia has finished first and second in the class rankings over the past two signing classes, so making a run up the rankings now, and in the summer, will be important if the coaches are going to secure another top-two finish for 2020.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Back on April 28th my son met Tashard Choice at the airport in Austin.  Just now found out that he's the new RB coach and offensive recruiting coordinator for Georgia Tech......

I ate at that exact Waffle House last month /ncsb

20 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Julian Fleming’s recruitment will be interesting. It seems like Ohio St leads with Clemson not far behind. I don’t think Penn St is much of a player for him anymore.

Speaking of Penn St, they’ll likely miss on several of their top targets who they thought they had leads for about a year ago. Bresee, Fleming, MarShawn Lloyd and likely Michael Carmody (tOSU leads supposedly) will go elsewhere. Franklin probably needs to win the BIG East at minimum if they’re going to regain the momentum they had for ‘18 and ‘19.

Apparently ND might actually lead for Carmody. His brother plays there and they obviously have a great history of developing the OL. Strangely enough, I think he’s visiting aggy this weekend.

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Carmody-46051689/