Non-Texas recruiting: 2020

Fud

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, rickyspub said:

A lot of it may have to do with not wanting to have to work in the classroom. Get free degree at Western Michigan with a tutor doing most of the heavy lifting or go to an Ivy and have to really work. Though with grade inflation that I understand is rampant at the Ivies a guy could probably get by with their tutors and come away with a much more valuable degree on similar effort. But those schools' reputation may be hard to overcome for a kid who just wants to play football and party. 

I have friends who went to ivies for undergrad.  And some for grad.  They say it's almost impossible to fail out once you are in.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have friends who went to ivies for undergrad.  And some for grad.  They say it's almost impossible to fail out once you are in.

Really not trying to cr this thread but when I know that Donald trump and George w bush have 3 ivy degrees between them, I understand the level of intellect that can graduate from those universities if admitted by whatever means. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Really not trying to cr this thread but when I know that Donald trump and George w bush have 3 ivy degrees between them, I understand the level of intellect that can graduate from those universities if admitted by whatever means. 

Fuck you...No cloak room you steamy pile of shit.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

It basically is. It's all about the retention numbers in the US News & World Report rankings. If they don't keep you in, it has the potential to hurt their standing. It's like that at most of the schools inside the top 10 to 15 (and some outside of it).

It's also pretty true that it can be hard to get much below a "B." However, depending on the class, getting an "A" can be really, really hard because some of the kids you're competing with are actual Rhodes Scholars and/or can do advanced physics in their heads. All the hard work in the world isn't going to get you past that particular obstacle unless you're super, super smart. 

Edited by campcrunk

It basically is. It's all about the retention numbers in the US News & World Report rankings. If they don't keep you in, it has the potential to hurt their standing. It's like that at most of the schools inside the top 10 to 15 (and some outside of it).
It's also pretty true that it can be hard to get much below a "B." However, depending on the class, getting an "A" can be really, really hard because some of the kids you're competing with are actual Rhodes Scholars and/or can do advanced physics in their heads. All the hard work in the world isn't going to get you past that particular obstacle unless you're super, super smart. 

Fascinating. I wonder if Ivy League kids come out of college less knowledgeable about their subject areas than at other schools where the bell curve is utilized more rigidly.

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Fascinating. I wonder if Ivy League kids come out of college less knowledgeable about their subject areas than at other schools where the bell curve is utilized more rigidly.

Depending on the subject matter, actually, yes, they do, on a disturbingly frequent basis. However, you also have to factor in that many of them will be more knowledgeable simply on the basis of the fact that they are basically intelligent across the board, and interested in something. Most acquired knowledge in most fields takes place outside of a classroom environment, so schooling is typically secondary, unless you are talking about a field like engineering, where the need for classroom learning is fairly obvious. I'd rather trust an EE from UT, for example, than from Brown. But an Ivy English literature graduate will probably be more knowledgeable than a non-Ivy English literature graduate, even though the quality of their classroom instruction might not be as high, simply because the Ivy-educated kid was probably smarter and more knowledgeable to start with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shame we can't get the Ogre to hit the trap door button on one of his shitty QBs. 

Maybe they'll suck during the season and he'll just swoop in and steal King late. 

At this point, it looks like King is going to Tennessee or Auburn. That's best case scenario.  Let LSU keep all their commits. 

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It's shocking recruits still buy this tired-ass bit from this weird old white dude. Everywhere this man goes is lit! He's a fucking arsonist!

He stole our phrase. We all said the hill was lit when he got hired.

45 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It's shocking recruits still buy this tired-ass bit from this weird old white dude. Everywhere this man goes is lit! He's a fucking arsonist!

And yet he just keeps landing 4 and 5 star studs every year. I honestly wish ATX was lit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

ATX is DEFINITELY lit. Have to ask yourself why we don't negative recruit about other cities being not lit.

Well to be fair, when Herman says "College Station is nice too", it kind of is negative recruiting.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Not sure why Diaz felt the inclination to get a Texas LB none of the big regional schools were chasing in a weak year

https://247sports.com/Player/Corey-Flagg-46052137/

Flagg is a pretty good player, he's just short. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a good contributor there.

Edited by Lonestar88

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I wish we had given Flagg more of a look. He's undersized but players who can actually do linebacker things without having to project from other positions are rare in this state.

Of course he's North Shore so perhaps we never had much of a chance anyway.

If the staff doesn't get White, Flowe, Scott....they may give Flagg another look?