Things are not going to end well for gun shop employee

GoPokes83

So the article conveniently leaves out the bit in Texas law where it is legal to use deadly force to protect property?

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

I mean, regardless of whether or not you agree with the law, it is relevant.

I'm looking at (2)(B), the victim was 'fleeing immediately after committing theft during the nighttime'.  But it looked like broad daylight in the video.  

Also, why did a gun store have so much cash on hand?  I thought only criminals and thugs bought guns in cash?  

10 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Thieves are assholes and I hold ones stealing from a gun store particularly low. But death isn't the punishment for stealing, much less at the hands of random joe blow civilian.

This is a slippery slope and not like the other 2 horrible acts we have threads on currently.  This isnt ringing a doorbell by mistake or pulling into a wrong driveway. The man robbed a gun store. What was said beforehand to the employee? What did the man have with him when he did it? The title of the article and the article itself was written with an agenda. Frankly that article sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It also doesn't make it clear whether the man robbed the place initially with a gun of his own.  It seems to be clear he took some cash, fled, and was shot in the back and found unarmed.  But what transpired inside?  

Do most gun shops have CCTV cameras inside?  It certainly appears the strip center has them.

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

What shucks is people defending shooting a fleeing man in the back for theft - and deciding you are judge and jury and you get to unilaterally impose capital punishment for that theft.

Maybe the agenda is this simple: don’t shoot people in the back when they are fleeing.

Who has said what he did was right? It's been pointed out it may have been legal, and it's been said that the guy made a pretty dumb choice and found out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

What shucks is people defending shooting a fleeing man in the back for theft - and deciding you are judge and jury and you get to unilaterally impose capital punishment for that theft.

Maybe the agenda is this simple: don’t shoot people in the back when they are fleeing.

Is it that simple if the guy said he was coming back with a gun or with others? Because that shit happens too. 

18 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

This is a slippery slope and not like the other 2 horrible acts we have threads on currently.  This isnt ringing a doorbell by mistake or pulling into a wrong driveway. The man robbed a gun store. What was said beforehand to the employee? What did the man have with him when he did it? The title of the article and the article itself was written with an agenda. Frankly that article sucked. 

7 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Is it that simple if the guy said he was coming back with a gun or with others? Because that shit happens too. 

You're asking a lot of good questions we don't know the answer to which makes it harder for me to understand why the default reaction is to defend the use of a gun vs letting police and the justice system to their job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I'm not sure you understand what slippery slope means.

• Drool 1

19 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Robbers come back to the place they just fled knowing the cops are on their way?

what is it with you people that just really, really want to kill people?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

IIRC he had a “sharp object “ in his hand. Looking at the video it doesn’t look like he said anything to the shooter or anyone else. Register was unattended, he walks up opens it takes cash and is leaving before anyone notices.
  • Like 1

Jaaaaayzus Criiiiiiiiiiiiist do none of you fucks click the link and then just comment randomly like jagoffs about shit you didn't see?

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

It also doesn't make it clear whether the man robbed the place initially with a gun of his own.  It seems to be clear he took some cash, fled, and was shot in the back and found unarmed.  But what transpired inside?  

Do most gun shops have CCTV cameras inside?  It certainly appears the strip center has them.

It shows video from the inside and outside. Black dude walks in, walks directly to register that is unmanned, grabs cash out of it and runs for the door. Lady and gun dude run after him and gun dude unloads as he's hitting the door and running out. 

This is a slippery slope. You can't have people shooting people for simple theft but the cops have shown they aren't putting much work into solving simple theft cases so people are emboldened to do this shit over and over with low threat from police. I honestly don't know what's right here. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Jaaaaayzus Criiiiiiiiiiiiist do none of you fucks click the link and just comment randomly like jagoffs about shit you didn't see.

It wasn't a gun store. It was a Carter's Country convenience store. 

It shows video from the inside and outside. Black dude walks in, walks directly to register that is unmanned, grabs cash out of it and runs for the door. Lady and gun dude run after him and gun dude unloads as he's hitting the door and running out. 

This is a slippery slope. You can't have people shooting people for simple theft but the cops have shown they aren't putting much work into solving simple theft cases so people are emboldened to do this shit over and over with low threat from police. I honestly don't know what's right here. 

Well this is pretty rich.

https://www.carterscountry.com

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 10.07.50 AM.png

Robbers come back to the place they just fled knowing the cops are on their way?
what is it with you people that just really, really want to kill people?

It’s basically happened to us.

So yes, the stupid is real.

I haven’t watched the video but shooting someone in the back is usually not an option.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not cool with shooting the dude in the back. And I doubt he had time to say anything significant since he was in and out so fast. This should at least go before a grand jury. But fuck the thief, don't steal from a gun store.

And that was just some shitty ass security by gun store employees who should fucking know better. They should all be fired.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

And that was just some shitty ass security by gun store employees who should fucking know better. They should all be fired.

Almost like they wanted a chance to shoot a motherfucker or something. The fact that they just let him walk in and take stuff out of the cash register, and then they shot him in the back, does not look unlike a honeypot

26 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Depends on what they did. 

Fair point.  If I’m armed and walk up and find somebody beating my kid or raping my wife, and he takes off. Yeah, I’d probably shoot him in the back. 

if somebody used some foul language and took $400 of my boss’ money, I probably don’t shoot him in the back just because I don’t want that on my conscience, I don’t to face legal trouble, and I don’t want some family memBer or his theft crew member avenging his death on me or mine.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

People afraid of gun owners are pussies

FIFY.  Generalized name calling is easy.  That being said, back before I retired, I had to qualify to carry firearms, and the main point of emphasis in the training, in addition to the basic firearms safety rules regarding treating all firearms as if they are loaded, keeping firearm pointed in a safe direction, keeping finger off the trigger until ready to fire, etc., was that you do NOT use lethal force unless you believe your life, or the life of someone around you, is in IMMINENT danger; "imminent" being the key word.  That means you do not shoot someone through your front door because they rang your doorbell in the middle of the night, you do not shoot someone in a car that is in the process of turning around in your driveway, and you do not shoot someone who is running away from you after stealing some cash from your store.  If the thief was armed, it might be a different story.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Fair point.  If I’m armed and walk up and find somebody beating my kid or raping my wife, and he takes off. Yeah, I’d probably shoot him in the back. 

if somebody used some foul language and took $400 of my boss’ money, I probably don’t shoot him in the back just because I don’t want that on my conscience, I don’t to face legal trouble, and I don’t want some family memBer or his theft crew member avenging his death on me or mine.  

Michael Richards Yes GIF

I agree with all of this.

But I also have no problem with the motherfucker getting shot. I get that’s not popular. Fuck you. Don’t steal shit.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2