OU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

2 hours ago, troph said:

This team is 50/50 for winning a regional at best (statistically making them a top 20-25 team).  Boneheaded losses especially close ones that are winnable isn’t a recipe for post season success. That’s not Texas good. Anyone who thinks this team is a favorite to win a regional isn’t paying attention.  Now I’m whatever about it. One game at a time, enjoy the wins and stick around with enough positivity to enjoy a run if it happens. But expecting it isn’t really where this team is this year unfortunately. 

They are a good Texas team(at this point), just not very good or great.

3 hours ago, troph said:

This team is 50/50 for winning a regional at best (statistically making them a top 20-25 team).  Boneheaded losses especially close ones that are winnable isn’t a recipe for post season success. That’s not Texas good. Anyone who thinks this team is a favorite to win a regional isn’t paying attention.  Now I’m whatever about it. One game at a time, enjoy the wins and stick around with enough positivity to enjoy a run if it happens. But expecting it isn’t really where this team is this year unfortunately. 

Yeah Ole Miss and OU looked great at this point last year 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

They are a good Texas team(at this point), just not very good or great.

I just can’t agree to that given the way the last 3 losses have occurred, record against top 20 teams, the weakness of the Big 12 this year, and the fact that the win total is bolstered by a March schedule that would make coach Gus blush (RIP). I’m not saying they can’t go on a run, get Witt back and it might be game on, but right now I think this team is ok not good. 

15 minutes ago, troph said:

win total is bolstered by a March schedule that would make coach Gus blush (RIP).

At some point this notion needs to go away. Fullerton has a real chance to win their conference and is a top 50 RPI team. Every single team in the country plays a New Orleans and Manhattan equivalent at some point. We aren’t unique in that. Sam Houston State is projected by many to win their conference, same with Mercer (who has won 40 games like 5 straight years or something ridiculous). A&M is a tournament team. Indiana is freaking projected to host a regional (can’t remember if that series was late February or early  March).

Our non conference SOS is significantly better than last year in every metric. It may not have been designed to be that way but it turned out that way.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah this definitely not a “good” team relative to other good Texas teams.  We don’t even have a shortstop.  I can only think of one year since Ive been watching where that was the case annd I think it was due to injury.  We only have 1 good starting pitcher?   That’s really unusual for this place.  We do have one swing and miss guy in the pen but he almost always walks or hits people so he’s negated.

13 hours ago, chase25 said:

Jayden also needs to get a Tuesday night start at SS, him, Galvan, and Carlson should be the only ones getting DH opportunities as well with JD getting most of them. Flores just isn’t ready yet. May be time for another lineup shuffle as well with Peyton Powell hitting .226 in 13 conference games.

The pen implosion makes Daly’s defense irreplaceable right now. He’s settling in nicely at short, the team is fielding .994 in conference, and the bench options have proved unusable. 

Agreed on more DH opportunities for JD.

We only have 4 guys hitting over .250 in conference and don’t have the bench to shuffle many of them. Powell’s defense and slugging keep him in the lineup 

Agreed on more DH opportunities for JD.
We only have 4 guys hitting over .250 in conference and don’t have the bench to shuffle many of them.

This is poor. Yet somehow we focus on the bottom two guys. We’re generally not productive when our top 3 in the order are no good. As someone else mentioned, it’s probably time to adjust the lineup. Thomas is hot. Powell is not. Flip them. Stack the hot hitters.

I’d suggest Belyeu as a DH against righties. It’s fine giving JD periodic ABs, but he hasn’t done much to warrant them.

Just now, Spaceman_Spiff said:

I know I’m a broken record, but playing Flores at this point in the season is really frustrating. Carlson, Galvan, and JD have way more upside right now.

Wonder if DP is overcompensating for losing Kash and doesn't want it to happen again. 

Doesn't seem like something he'd do but I guess it's possible. 

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Morehouse coming in with the bases loaded and none out 

I kind of want to see Sthele start the 2nd game as well. Pull him after he goes 2-0 on the first batter.

Why do you want to torture the poor kid? Sick fuck 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Zane needs to throw strikes...  C'mon

Does he? Hmmm thought throwing balls would be better 

• Haha 1