OU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

well at least he's aware that he and his staff suck shit right now.   what he'll do about it, who knows..

it's not just pitching.  the feasted on meh mid season schedule after getting torched at the start.  this thing is on the knife's edge right now as the hitting is suspect against mediocre Power 5 pitching.  we might hang on to the bottom of the top 25.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The funniest from some people wishcasting Skip back to Austin is a big reason Augie got pushed out the door is because the last few pitching staffs he and Skip had were atrocious.

no one wants skip back to Austin.  We want Pierce to get his current pitching coach's shit together.

• Hook 'Em 5

44 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Put skip Johnson in Austin instead of fucking Norman and see what what he can do. 

He was coaching the team the last two years of Augie's tenure.  Pass.    Frank Anderson was a great pitching coach at Texas want him to be the head coach of the team?

Also some of you seem forget we went 705 days without a conference series win under Augie at the end.

I'd get former Washington head coach Ken Knutson to be the pitching coach if it were up to me.

1 minute ago, HuntinHorn said:

We suck shit through a straw.  "But ...but the past 35 games' stats say....."   

We'll be lucky to be a number 2 in a regional...   Hosting just rode the Schooner out of town....

I hope we get sent to California so I can go.

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They asked Pierce about the pinch hit decisions postgame and he said the OU reliever had extreme reverse splits. Was much better against lefties than righties.

To me it wasn’t just the decision to PH but having guys that are true freshmen with minimal AB do it. He was just throwing spaghetti against the wall to see if something would stick by the point he made these decisions though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yep they suck.  Pierce may seriously have to rethink his pitching coach.

I agree.  With a few exceptions, the entire staff has regressed to a ridiculous level.

The inability to just challenge hitters and throw strikes is pretty embarrassing.  The walk-a-thong lands on somebody's head and imo that's WW.

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I agree.  With a few exceptions, the entire staff has regressed to a ridiculous level.

The inability to just challenge hitters and throw strikes is pretty embarrassing.  The walk-a-thong lands on somebody's head and imo that's WW.

Two of the worst offenders - Sthele and Morehouse - have very close to the same WHIP they had last year.  They just are what they are.  The usage is what I think has been questionable, and that is on the head man.  Not to mention thinking those guys were good enough to rely on coming into the season.  I remember posting late last year that one of those guys (along with some others, most of whom left) wasn’t good enough to pitch at Texas.  And yet here he is getting important innings.  The bottom line is Pierce had a bad off season.  Whether that was due to NIL, laziness, bad luck or something else, is another discussion.  

• Hook 'Em 4

He was coaching the team the last two years of Augie's tenure.  Pass.    Frank Anderson was a great pitching coach at Texas want him to be the head coach of the team?
Also some of you seem forget we went 705 days without a conference series win under Augie at the end.

I'd get former Washington head coach Ken Knutson to be the pitching coach if it were up to me.

We may as well start interviewing candidates now so we can get the string of “no thank you’s” out of the way that bogged us down until we settled on Pierce.
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

We may as well start interviewing candidates now so we can get the string of “no thank you’s” out of the way that bogged us down until we settled on Pierce.

When the time comes, CDC will get the right guy. Not our 5th choice. 

Unless Pierce has to be fired in March next year and an interim leads us to the CWS….. 

But that can’t happen twice. Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The umps have tightened their zones. Far fewer strike calls in the opposing box from even 5 years ago.

Hitters have seen far more pitches growing up than they used to see from guys that can throw 95.

To an extent, you need to throw whatever historical fantasies out of how it used to be. That’s not to say we can’t get a Madden or two.

We go from 1-2, 0-2 counts to ball 4 way too much. It seems we rarely go high fastball and damn near always off the plate. It might hurt to attack more but for damn sure pitch to different parts of the plate. Our opponents don’t hit the ball that hard and not excessive homers.

And I’ll go back to what I said last year. Roles. Define them. Morehouse doesn’t know his role. Hurley doesn’t really know his. Sthele had 10 walks in 40 innings prior to getting moved around.

Gordon, Sthele and LBJ as a weekend rotation is workable. You can pair Hurley with one. Maybe pair Morehouse with one. Then you have Tole, Burke, Shaw, Lummus and Whitehead. Quit trying to tweak it hoping for a miracle.

Scholarships are limited. We lack superstars but we have capable arms and a number of them to be functional if used properly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The umps have tightened their zones. Far fewer strike calls in the opposing box from even 5 years ago.

Hitters have seen far more pitches growing up than they used to see from guys that can throw 95.

To an extent, you need to throw whatever historical fantasies out of how it used to be. That’s not to say we can’t get a Madden or two.

We go from 1-2, 0-2 counts to ball 4 way too much. It seems we rarely go high fastball and damn near always off the plate. It might hurt to attack more but for damn sure pitch to different parts of the plate. Our opponents don’t hit the ball that hard and not excessive homers.

And I’ll go back to what I said last year. Roles. Define them. Morehouse doesn’t know his role. Hurley doesn’t really know his. Sthele had 10 walks in 40 innings prior to getting moved around.

Gordon, Sthele and LBJ as a weekend rotation is workable. You can pair Hurley with one. Maybe pair Morehouse with one. Then you have Tole, Burke, Shaw, Lummus and Whitehead. Quit trying to tweak it hoping for a miracle.

Scholarships are limited. We lack superstars but we have capable arms and a number of them to be functional if used properly.

Yet other coaches seem to have no issue restocking takent. Dress up that pierce turd all you want. He is still a turd.

• Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

They pushed Sthele back one day last week and then returned him to usual spot this week. I wouldn’t exactly call that moving him around and if that is what is causing him problems then good lord.

It’s really hard to have defined roles when guys aren’t performing well because you can’t continue to trot out a guy in a defined role who isn’t performing in his role.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Two of the worst offenders - Sthele and Morehouse - have very close to the same WHIP they had last year.  They just are what they are.  The usage is what I think has been questionable, and that is on the head man.  Not to mention thinking those guys were good enough to rely on coming into the season.  I remember posting late last year that one of those guys (along with some others, most of whom left) wasn’t good enough to pitch at Texas.  And yet here he is getting important innings.  The bottom line is Pierce had a bad off season.  Whether that was due to NIL, laziness, bad luck or something else, is another discussion.  

I agree with this. Pierce had a bad offseason. I knew it wouldn't be a great year but we're getting worse not better and the 16 game win streak(yes I know it is hard to win 16 in row) against meh masked some stuff.  reversion to the mean of this team.

Maybe we will get lucky in the regional(assuming we don't completely blow up).  It is what it is at this point.  It sucks because the Big 12 isn't much at all this year.

They pushed Sthele back one day last week and then returned him to usual spot this week. I wouldn’t exactly call that moving him around and if that is what is causing him problems then good lord.
It’s really hard to have defined roles when guys aren’t performing well because you can’t continue to trot out a guy in a defined role who isn’t performing in his role.

Last Sundays starter was TBD. That was publicly stated. Every guy is different. Some can say screw it just give me the ball. Others need more structure and consistency. And it’s a cumulative impact. Sthele has consistently been pulled when things go bad. So there are certain outcomes you could expect. And it may be that his ultimate role is to start and give us 3 innings. Against BU he got in an early jam and navigated it well. No hit them for 4-5 innings.

But there’s absolutely a different mentality of I might go long relief or I might close. Particularly when you can throw high 90s. I don’t know Morehouses full story but Dawson and whatever college he first attended say he may lacks baseball maturity. So moving him around all the time probably doesn’t help that.

Hurley has seen the same thing. I almost hope he’s hurt since he didn’t pitch this weekend. He and LBJ have performed pretty well in the role that Morehouse was trying in game 1 Saturday.

Lummus has been written off multiple times. He’s has two poor performances. One was the first of the season. The other with a big lead and a big wind.

This is two years in a row that the pitching has worsened as the season progresses. I’d surmise that maybe scouting reports have more data as part of that. But as a fan I have to question whether we have a Rick Barnes effect resulting in some erosion of confidence in the staff.

We’re flawed in the starting rotation but we’re chasing hope rather than sticking with what worked pretty well until two weeks ago. Our strength is that we have quite a few that can go 3-4 innings and several situational guys.

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I will say it would be different with an actual AD doing the hiring this time.  Pierce isn't going anywhere unless we completely implode this year and next year though.

• Hook 'Em 1