OU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Just now, Knighthawk said:

You mean his run to the cws last year?

He’s been there a long while, last year was an anomaly to this point.  He does it again 2 out of the next 3 years and I’d see it differently, but thus far skip is not Texas HC material.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Pretty much ends conference hopes.  I know conference sucks but you don’t get swept by bottom dwellers and win.  And 7 losses is usually the maximum to win.  8 maybe this year but we ain’t losing only one more. 

Idk. We'll see what happens. 

B12 isn't good this season, though. We'd be a shitty champ. 

Just now, Bevo&Pevo said:

We've certainly seen better baseball.  Never would have thought we'd get swept by ousux.  These growing pains are gonna be rough.  

We were lucky to win 2 of 3 from Baylor….next-to-the-bottom dweller.   Other than our pitching and hitting, we are a pretty good little team.

I normally don’t have huge issues with Pierce’s overall team management (not in-game, I’m talking game-to-game), but he pressed the panic button this weekend far too early. There was no need to start Minchey. If you weren’t going to use Hurley in game 3 then he should have been first out of the pen in game 2.

Its easy to second guess now but it was just a bad all around series.

Edited by Hookem2147

If you have to depend on a pinch hitter, in the bottom of the 9th, to try and salvage a game against a bad ou team, well….we’ll….I don’t know what to say.

Not ideal obviously. But I wouldn’t have pinch hit for EK. If I were going to do so, I’d play the matchup of Belyeu versus Flores. I wouldn’t have pinch hit for Thomas. And not for ODowd in that manner either.

An EK bunt with the tall pitcher is not a bad play.

And my comment on Carlson was thinking his turn could have come up again down by 1 run with the tying run on 3rd, winning run on.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep they suck.  Pierce may seriously have to rethink his pitching coach.

Always the pitching coaches fault. 3rd one of his tenure now and I’m sure a 4th one will just wave his magic wand and fix everyone on the staff.

You know what prevents pitchers and staffs from getting better and building? Cycling them through coach after coach with philosophy after philosophy. Pitching staffs take years to build and I know people who have personally pitched under Woody Williams. He is considered one of the brightest pitching minds in the game. 

It took me a while to come around on the Allen firing but it needed to happen because not having a real pitching coach was hurting recruiting. We have a real pitching coach now and it takes more than 8 months to fix things.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Always the pitching coaches fault. 3rd one of his tenure now and I’m sure a 4th one will just wave his magic wand and fix everyone on the staff.

You know what prevents pitchers and staffs from getting better and building? Cycling them through coach after coach with philosophy after philosophy. Pitching staffs take years to build and I know people who have personally pitched under Woody Williams. He is considered one of the brightest pitching minds in the game. 

Did the OU staff that just rolled us take years to build? Woody better get his mind working.  first time ever for an OU sweep in Austin.  fucking turrible...

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Did the OU staff that just rolled us take years to build? Woody better get his mind working.  first time ever for an OU sweep in Austin.  fucking turrible...

Huh? OU sucks. They have some of the worst pitching in the Big 12, I don’t care what they showed in this 3 game series. That is not the measuring stick or standard I have for this staff or program.

Skip Johnson is well on his way to missing the postseason for the 3rd time in 5 full seasons, so the dick sucking that is occurring because he beat this team is weird. 

Sthele loaded the bases last week in the 2nd and minimized the damage. He wasn’t given the chance today.

Someone had mentioned Morehouse was better out of the windup versus the stretch. So he gets thrown out there with the bases full. Early in the game.

This is two years in a row that the pitching has gotten worse as the season has progressed. Why? The sad thing is that we aren’t getting hit hard.

In spite of that, we should have won game 1 if the offense does their job. And we’ve got a shot in game 3 if they’re productive against a pitching staff that hasn’t been good.

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep they suck.  Pierce may seriously have to rethink his pitching coach.

“18 walks in two games. They scored 15 runs and 11 of those got on base by walks. That should tell you something about our pitching coach. Maybe we’re just not very good. I thought we had improved from the first of the year.  We did not play well at all against the last  place team.  Embarrassed to get swept by them in our own backyard.   Last OU sweep was 1998.”

The team including the coaches need to reset. The Baylor series wasn’t the prettiest either and it leaked over to this weekend. It’s not the end of the world and our pitching coach is not the problem considering what he’s got this limited staff to do already. If they get their shit together and keep competing for the conference title, the post season should be an exciting one. Pierce’s teams usually show up in the postseason. 

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“18 walks in two games. They scored 15 runs and 11 of those got on base by walks. That should tell you something about our pitching coach. Maybe we’re just not very good. I thought we had improved from the first of the year.  We did not play well at all against the last  place team.  Embarrassed to get swept by them in our own backyard.   Last OU sweep was 1998.”

The worst part is that Sooners have never swept Longhorns in Austin until tonight 

• Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Sure walking the bases loaded isn’t ideal but I’m almost positive Pierce or the pitching coach can’t hold GG’s hand and catch the ball for him. That’s two runs on our catcher…not being able to catch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

“Augie and Skip would never have staffs like this” as we are 7 years removed from them getting pushed out the door for having multiple staffs….just like this.

Dude drop your shtick for a little bit. We just got smoked by a shitty OU team at home. I think it's perfectly valid to air some concerns about the program right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2