What is the oldest thing that you bought NEW

Superhero

Truly the oldest stuff would be baseball cards, but if current-use is required, it’s various tools I started buying around 10 years old when my old man bought me a car to fix up. Guarantee many of my sockets and wrenches are ~30 years old, probably lots of other stuff as well. Gonna keep my eyes open for a few days thinking about this. Probably something actually cool/interesting I’m forgetting.

I have a shitload of things "purchased" with Marlboro miles 20-30 years ago that I still use occasionally. Mostly bags, pouches, camping gear, etc., but also a leather jacket, reversible rubber/canvas rain slicker, a windbreaker that collapses into a small fanny pack, and other similarly functional and timeless shit like that. 

I smoked like a chimney, but also had a network of people in college who would save/scavenge miles for me as long as I'd give them an ashtray or Zippo or other low-cost item out of each round of "purchases" I made. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

One of my acoustics is a few years older but it doesn’t come out of the case much. This guy is from ‘98 and hasn’t been put away in years.

2022-04-09_10-25-58_156_Original.thumb.jpeg.d54a6ed2aec4c4d7e7060c09c57f7983.jpeg

I had a diner coffee mug probably from the 70s but I don’t think it survived the move (and that was dad’s purchase anyways).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 10:14 AM, SquishMitten said:

Truly the oldest stuff would be baseball cards, but if current-use is required, it’s various tools I started buying around 10 years old when my old man bought me a car to fix up. Guarantee many of my sockets and wrenches are ~30 years old, probably lots of other stuff as well. Gonna keep my eyes open for a few days thinking about this. Probably something actually cool/interesting I’m forgetting.

SRV's 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' on vinyl when it came out in 1984, then tools. I started working in car stereo stores when I was 16 in 1986, and had to supply my own tools. Started out with shitty Western Auto stuff, then discovered the Snap On truck. Should have most of them paid off pretty soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

SRV's 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' on vinyl when it came out in 1984, then tools. I started working in car stereo stores when I was 16 in 1986, and had to supply my own tools. Started out with shitty Western Auto stuff, then discovered the Snap On truck. Should have most of them paid off pretty soon. 

My Snap On tool box purchased in 1981 gets daily usage. "I own the best so please don't ask to borrow" sticker is still on it.

And yes, it took awhile to pay it off.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Antidean said:

My Snap On tool box purchased in 1981 gets daily usage. "I own the best so please don't ask to borrow" sticker is still on it.

And yes, it took awhile to pay it off.

My son has a pretty big batch of Snap-On tools. I told him it would have been much cheaper to just have a cocaine habit during college.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If going by "with my own money" then it's boring stuff like record albums and books. I bought Def Leppard's Pyromania in '83, I still have some Stephen King paperbacks I bought in '82, (Cujo, Salem's Lot).  I have a nice HO scale model train engine I bought in 1980, but the money I used to pay for it came to me as a gift, so I don't know if that counts.

I bought a Murray push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine from Walmart in 1996 with grass cutting money. The engine code says it was manufactured 1/31/1996.  I was 14.  Besides normal replacements like blades, spark plugs, dry-rotted wheels, and air filters, I've replaced the prime bulb once and the magneto last year.   It cranks on the first pull.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

My Yairi I bought new in 1978, for, truly, tree fiddy  Play it daily, though it’s second string 

Mine is a 1983 Brazilian Rosewood, but it was inherited. It's my alternate tuned guitar. It is easily my most playable guitar  you are a lucky man to have one  

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Tites
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Bought this .22 Ruger at Petmecky Sporting Goods on Congress Avenue in 1959. 
I was 15. 
Still have it, and it shoots great after untold thousands of rounds through the tube over the past 64 years.

7D727584-3192-42F4-A220-A8FC6773BEE2.jpeg

I’ll give you $50 for it 

• Haha 2

Bought this .22 Ruger at Petmecky Sporting Goods on Congress Avenue in 1959. 
I was 15. 
Still have it, and it shoots great after untold thousands of rounds through the tube over the past 64 years.

7D727584-3192-42F4-A220-A8FC6773BEE2.jpeg.625b9da0ec4a6ef59e7ab708957f3d2d.jpeg

It’s in phenomenal condition! You ever have it reblued?

5 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

It’s in phenomenal condition! You ever have it reblued?

No. 
The anodized finish is almost all worn off the grip frame, but the bluing on the frame, cylinder, & barrel is 98%. 
It was rarely carried in a holster but shot a lot.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, Hpara759 said:

I bought it when I was 14-15 years old.....so 1973 or 74.

still use it

il_794xN.3475985279_6jby.webp

You just wait. That’ll take off part of your fingertip, but when it does, just tape it back on. It’ll grow back.

Don't ask me how I know this, but I only buy lock blades now. 

• Like 1

This Mitchell Garcia 300 c. 1973 spinning reel was my second spinning reel, purchased with money from my newspaper route. My first was a different model that went missing when one of my kids borrowed it to go fishing with friends. I caught my first largemouth in Texas at the Freeman Ranch (now the forensic corpse ranch) when we moved to Texas in 1974.

140-F2-D3-D-78-F5-4354-9-CA3-33-E7-F6-E1

I know I have older things I’ve purchased, mostly fishing/hunting/camping/tools.

Note: I still have the double blade spinner that I used to catch that largemouth. The skirt is long gone, and I know if I replace it, I’ll be tempted to use it. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 4

No. 
The anodized finish is almost all worn off the grip frame, but the bluing on the frame, cylinder, & barrel is 98%. 
It was rarely carried in a holster but shot a lot.

Cleaned it like a “good soldier” after shooting it too!

Hook’em!!!

• 3 weeks later...