2023 ACL Festival

nolongerU2horn

Holy shit, didn't realize until this thread...20 years since our first ACL fest.  I remember 2002 it was just Sat & Sun and nobody really knew what the fuck it was gonna be.  We were in New Orleans for the Tulane game and didn't give it much though.  Then we went in 2003 for all three days and had a blast.  Have missed a few years here and there but probably have made 15 outta 20.

Speaking of 75%, I won't know 75% of the band on this lineup drop next month.  Gets like that more and more, and that's fine...we''re no longer their target demographic.  I am at least encouraged by their throttling back on EDM bands/DJs.  A handful is fine, but there were a couple years where that was 1/3rd of the overall lineup and half the stage presence at certain points in the weekend.  

We're old and grumpy, I get it.  But there are still some points during the weekend when the weather is fine, you're discovering a new band, the underbutt is plentiful. and the engine just gleams...

• Like 1

There was an article last week about Coachella having a hard time finding headliners.  There are fewer and fewer headline level acts left each year and new artists breaking on TikTok aren't producing the catalog to fill a 2 hour headlining slot.  If Coachella is having issues, I imagine it's way worse for 2nd tier fests like ACL. 

Edited by CooterBrown

They need to revisit the concept of "headliner".  If younger superstars don't have the catalog, then have them play an hour and move up another artist.  I guess the random dinosaur (The Stones, Chili Peppers, whatever) is OK as a draw but if they constantly clog up the night slots at every festival, it just becomes a dying model.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Lineup released on Tuesday, May 9, with daily schedule released a few months later, so we won't yet know whether Muse is playing Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  I have a hunch, though, that Asleep at the Wheel is playing sometime on Friday.

Plus our surly's official local punk band

Holy shit, didn't realize until this thread...20 years since our first ACL fest.  I remember 2002 it was just Sat & Sun and nobody really knew what the fuck it was gonna be.  We were in New Orleans for the Tulane game and didn't give it much though.  Then we went in 2003 for all three days and had a blast.  Have missed a few years here and there but probably have made 15 outta 20.
Speaking of 75%, I won't know 75% of the band on this lineup drop next month.  Gets like that more and more, and that's fine...we''re no longer their target demographic.  I am at least encouraged by their throttling back on EDM bands/DJs.  A handful is fine, but there were a couple years where that was 1/3rd of the overall lineup and half the stage presence at certain points in the weekend.  
We're old and grumpy, I get it.  But there are still some points during the weekend when the weather is fine, you're discovering a new band, the underbutt is plentiful. and the engine just gleams...

That Tulane game came up recently and I said I wasn’t there but couldn’t figure out why. This answers that question because I definitely went to the first ACL. All I remember seeing was Wilco.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I wonder if they can finally book Spoon this year. 

Spoon has played ACL.  I saw them late afternoon on the western main stage several years ago, maybe 2015-ish?  The place was beyond packed.  I'm thinking it might have been right before Coldplay, same year Kanye sucked all kinds of ass on the other main stage.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Spoon has played ACL.  I saw them late afternoon on the western main stage several years ago, maybe 2015-ish?  The place was beyond packed.  I'm thinking it might have been right before Coldplay, same year Kanye sucked all kinds of ass on the other main stage.

I think he was being facetious. Spoon played last year, and in 2017-ish, and a couple other years probably.

I like Spoon.  It just seemed like they played every other year for a decade plus.  Not Asleep at the Wheel level, but close.  

My daughter goes to the same preschool as one of the c-level guys from C3P/LN.  Asked him the other day who some of the headliners are this year as he's cool with leaking some stuff because he knows I have no way to put it out on social media.  He just exhaled and said, "I'm 47 dude.  I'd tell you if I even knew who the fuck any of them were this year.  I'm leaving the business in three years, not even our tastemakers know these fucking bands. "  

• Haha 2

Supposed lineup.  Love me some ODESZA, The 1975 is my guilty pop pleasure (Menswear is a masterpiece), always wanted to see Explosions In the Sky.  

As always I don’t know hardly any of the first few rows, but always enjoy the undercards. 

IMG_7495.jpeg

On 5/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, YGIFS said:

I like Spoon.  It just seemed like they played every other year for a decade plus.  Not Asleep at the Wheel level, but close.  

My daughter goes to the same preschool as one of the c-level guys from C3P/LN.  Asked him the other day who some of the headliners are this year as he's cool with leaking some stuff because he knows I have no way to put it out on social media.  He just exhaled and said, "I'm 47 dude.  I'd tell you if I even knew who the fuck any of them were this year.  I'm leaving the business in three years, not even our tastemakers know these fucking bands. "  

Dude is 47 and still in pre-school? That's pretty impressive. 

• Haha 1

Ha.  Saw him again this morning.  Said he and his team took one final massive swing at Dolly Parton several weeks back and she told him, "Darlin', I've got Betty Crocker money now.  If I wanted to play there, I'd do it for free and have you give the money to a hospital.  I just don't travel like I used to is all."  

I said, "Bullshit.  If you met with her, you wouldn't remember any of that because you'd be staring at her jugs the whole time." 

He started telling me some headliners and I couldn't help but laugh at Foo Fighters.  He asked why I was laughing and I thought to myself, "You see there's this website, but we're at Catholic preschool right now and if I say it out loud, I could burst into flames."  

The Lumineers as headliner is cool to see.  Always dug them.  Let the "who the fuck is that?" old man talk begin...

Just dad dropoff  banter with an old friend, better than talking to the other dads about exciting opportunities in commercial real estate.  We used to mostly talk music but now he works almost exclusively on the NFL draft and Formula1.  Sign of the times, their music festival department basically just plug 'n play LiveNation programming, hence as said upthread...these festivals are getting so formulaic that not much changes from one to the other except the location (even the little activation tents and experiences and interactive shit).  ACL is still fun as hell and I wouldn't miss it, but if it wasn't in Austin...I wouldn't drive more than an hour to go see that lineup. 

Every year, even us salty middle-agers can't help but stumble upon a few new bands that just gleam, and the breeze picks up, and the asses show up, you still hit the old school bands you came to see, and bike home without dying.  And it's fantastic. 

Good to see Ben Kweller making it on the lineup.  He's had a tough year.  Would love to see Shania Twain from the stage platform so you can see her from behind.     

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny to see how many people are "waaaaaahhhh"ing the lineup... just like ever year... FB, Twitter, Reddit full of the usual, "I don't know who the F these bands are" posts.  Maybe not exactly what I was hoping for but I'll find a way to fill up three days.  Yeah Yeah Yeahs will be awesome.  Need to spend time looking back through the list and listening to some new music.  Decided that Bass Drum of Death will probably be worth checking out and I'm sure they will be on a small stage which will make them even better... assuming the same for Die Spitz.  Walkmen, Portugal the Man, The Breeders (college me is excited!), Odesza... its all good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's weird 'cause that's Bob Stoops favorite album.  

To texasdago point---as much as naysay the bands...each and every year I go for 3-days and out of the total time I'm there, there's maybe 3 total hours where I'm not listening to something familiar, fun, new, or authentic.  Yeah, I go and sulk in the shade here and there 'cause everything sounds shitty, but every year I'm hard pressed to not find all kinda cool shit.  However, young me and old me both never understood why people travel from around the country and spend all that money to just hang out in the activation tents and shop in the SoCo village deal.  

Also---I'd like to nominate Portugal.theMan as the mid-level festival headliner equivalent of the Foo Fighters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's weird 'cause that's Bob Stoops favorite album.  

To texasdago point---as much as naysay the bands...each and every year I go for 3-days and out of the total time I'm there, there's maybe 3 total hours where I'm not listening to something familiar, fun, new, or authentic.  Yeah, I go and sulk in the shade here and there 'cause everything sounds shitty, but every year I'm hard pressed to not find all kinda cool shit.  However, young me and old me both never understood why people travel from around the country and spend all that money to just hang out in the activation tents and shop in the SoCo village deal.  

Also---I'd like to nominate Portugal.theMan as the mid-level festival headliner equivalent of the Foo Fighters. 

LOL

Yeah, I mean if you live here or are relatively close by its a chance to just fart around for three days... just hanging out, drinking, enjoying some music... and in some cases you can be on the rail for a great show.  Why not?  I'm all in on W1 and then will make a game-time call on specific W2 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shit, I just realized now with a deeper look that W1 has literally 6+ more bands I'd like to see than W2.  That's an unusual differential for me, usually I'm pretty agnostic and get a hookup for W2.  Was hoping to do OU weekend and then ACL after that.  But shit, that's a strong case for olds like me for W1.  Chromeo, Walkmen, Shania Twain, Mars Volta, Die Spitz, Shooks, and a few others exclusive to W1.  

1W/W1 problems I suppose.  

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Shit, I just realized now with a deeper look that W1 has literally 6+ more bands I'd like to see than W2.  That's an unusual differential for me, usually I'm pretty agnostic and get a hookup for W2.  Was hoping to do OU weekend and then ACL after that.  But shit, that's a strong case for olds like me for W1.  Chromeo, Walkmen, Shania Twain, Mars Volta, Die Spitz, Shooks, and a few others exclusive to W1.  

1W/W1 problems I suppose.  

Just grab a spare day for W2 if you need it.  That's what I did for Wet Leg. 

Saw Jane Leo when they were still coming together and they're kind of a fun band.  I imagine they'll be on Tito's or a small stage. 

Edited by texasdago

What's the go-to process for grabbing a one-day pass?  Every time I get a 3-day I'm usually worn out by Sunday and either just show up for the headliner or bail in the middle of the afternoon.  I remember being secretly relieved the year Sunday got rained out.

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the go-to process for grabbing a one-day pass?  Every time I get a 3-day I'm usually worn out by Sunday and either just show up for the headliner or bail in the middle of the afternoon.  I remember being secretly relieved the year Sunday got rained out.

I think they drop one-day passes when the release the daily schedule.  Not really excited about the lineup this year, but I'll wait until the daily schedule is released to determine if we'll purchase day or two.

Been listening to some of the bands and Dope Lemon sounds right up my alley and as I was listening and digging around information for Husbands I noticed they are opening for Goth Babe for part of the tour so I will pencil them in.

23 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Been listening to some of the bands and Dope Lemon sounds right up my alley and as I was listening and digging around information for Husbands I noticed they are opening for Goth Babe for part of the tour so I will pencil them in.

The band he had with his sister was great too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Walkmen on the list!

Would love to see them. No interest in seeing any of the headliners. I can't believe RHCP isn't on there. Thought their shitty asses were playing every festival this year.

Had tickets to YYY tonight in Las Colinas but accidentally double-booked with Jason Isbell in Deep Ellum so we're doing Isbell instead. As per usual, not enough on here to get me down from Dallas.