Texas @ TCU Series Thread

Horny Bull

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

The depth of this pitching staff is terrible. Witt, Gordon, and possibly LBJ will all be gone after this season. Texas is going to have to pull in at least five good pitching transfers to upgrade at all.

I will pitch in for an NIL fund that pays any reliever $50 per strikeout but they have to pay back $75 to the fund for every walk or HBP.

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

This pitching staff is terrible. Witt and Gordon will both be gone after this season. Texas is going to have to pull in at least five pitching transfers to upgrade at all.

Witt is a red shirt sophomore.  I'd be more upset about Porter Brown leaving this year.

10 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

The depth of this pitching staff is terrible. Witt, Gordon, and possibly LBJ will all be gone after this season. Texas is going to have to pull in at least five good pitching transfers to upgrade at all.

Can't we enjoy the rest of this season before already bitching about the next one? Will be plenty of time for that in a few months.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Should we over react when he's used incorrectly?

I believe by definition an over reaction is not possible when used incorrectly.

And while there’s substantial over reaction on this board, I also was referencing Pierce. Lummus is a lefty-lefty kind of pitcher. Probably 1-3 hitters at a time. He’d have to go 6 versus a number of teams to prove otherwise. If you extend him more than an inning, there’s a bit of fire every time because you’re probably getting more righties and more looks at him.

Whatever happened today shouldn’t necessarily preclude him from pitching in a critical spot again. That’d be an overrreaction from Mr. Pierce.

18 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, we need to go into next year with 3 starting pitchers identified.  Rolling into this year with 1 wasn't ideal.

Edited by WBT

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is his third year. He’s eligible. And he’s a high prospect. And he’s leaving. 

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

We were lucky to see him back today or ANYTIME this year. 

Even the announcers talked about all the speed guns in the stands today. They were there for no one else but him.

edit: Annnnnd with that long ball given up by CS, I will probably head to the cardhouse. 

It seems like the pitching was pretty good at one point in the season. Just fell apart starting with the Baylor series.

Any thoughts as to why? Is Woody Williams not the guy? I kind of hoped things could get better as the season went on not get worse.

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Valmy77 said:

It seems like the pitching was pretty good at one point in the season. Just fell apart starting with the Baylor series.

Any thoughts as to why? Is Woody Williams not the guy? I kind of hoped things could get better as the season went on not get worse.

The issues that plagued us in the Baylor series is not what is hurting us today.

TCU has singled us to death with a few long balls mixed in. Not many walks and Texas pitchers have been around the strike zone for the most part.

How many times have we fucked away the 3rd game? OSU, KSU, TCU. The entire ZeroU series, obviously. Even the most profound of optimists can’t truly believe that we can survive a regional, where it would require winning 3-4 games in as many days. It’s just not going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

How many times have we fucked away the 3rd game? OSU, KSU, TCU. The entire ZeroU series, obviously. Even the most profound of optimists can’t truly believe that we can survive a regional, where it would require winning 3-4 games in as many days. It’s just not going to happen. 

We soundly beat K-State in game 3.

You'd be surprised how many teams around the country have huge pitching question marks after their top few guys. Hell, LSU is going through it right now once they get past Skenes. Several of their big time portal pitchers have been awful.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, brojangles2 said:

a Super would be overachieving for this bunch, UNLESS Witt becomes a 6 inning starter with his traditional stuff.  then we would have a decent chance with a win from Gordon/Witt/LBJ

19 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Baseball be a cruel mistress.

cruel mistress is losing a couple of one run games back to back.  This is the whore knocking you out and taking your wallet before you even get your fly unzipped.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You'd be surprised how many teams around the country have huge pitching question marks after their top few guys.

Frankly we have question marks after our one top guy.  Everyone besides Gordon has lost their command for a stretch (or three) at some point this year.  We still don't have a clear second - much less third - starter.  No closer.  No setup guy.  It's just Gordon and a bunch of hope.  Every few games a guy wears the hope hat.  This weekend it was LBJ.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The issues that plagued us in the Baylor series is not what is hurting us today.

TCU has singled us to death with a few long balls mixed in. Not many walks and Texas pitchers have been around the strike zone for the most part.

This. We aren’t walking bases loaded. We are getting hit. 

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Frankly we have question marks after our one top guy.  Everyone besides Gordon has lost their command for a stretch (or three) at some point this year.  We still don't have a clear second - much less third - starter.  No closer.  No setup guy.  It's just Gordon and a bunch of hope.  Every few games a guy wears the hope hat.  This weekend it was LBJ.

We have a few semi-reliable bullpen guys (Tole, Burke, Shaw). And all 3 have been fairly consistent all year. I don't think any of the 3 is a lockdown closer but all 3 would probably fall in the setup guy bucket. I know what I am likely getting every time one of them takes the mound.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We have a few semi-reliable bullpen guys (Tole, Burke, Shaw). And all 3 have been fairly consistent all year. I don't think any of the 3 is a lockdown closer but all 3 would probably fall in the setup guy bucket. I know what I am likely getting every time one of them takes the mound.

You think Shaw is totally back?  He still seems shaky to me.  Maybe this weekend gets him over the hump.

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oh I disagree. The guys aren't making good pitches anymore. They have lost faith in their stuff. I think the issues that plagued us in the Baylor series are why.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Oh I disagree. The guys aren't making good pitches anymore. They have lost faith in their stuff. I think the issues that plagued us in the Baylor series are why.

We will have to agree to disagree then. At least half of TCU's hits today were on fairly soft ground ball singles through the infield. 

Morehouse executed several good pitches only to see a high chopper bounce over a guys head. 

Also, several of the last few pitchers are not guys would pitch if a game was ever in question.

Who remembers what kind of pitcher Woody was?  I remember him as a sinker slider guy.  Low velo.  But our guys don't seem to command the slider well.  That would be my main question with him.  Where are our guys who can command the slider.  Tole?  LBJ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also, several of the last few pitchers are not guys would pitch if a game was ever in question.

Are we saving some shut down guys or something? Why? We have no midweek game this week.

I don't see why would concede a conference game with no game for four days. No reason not to try everything to win.