Best Song 98% of Surly Hasn’t Heard

Mileslong

I'll locate the start at my favorite song on this record, but for those who never heard Austin's Glass Eye, I encourage you to listen to the whole album, front to back.  Absolutely sublime art punk from an absolutely legendary Austin band.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mileslong said:

First released by Lighthouse (Not Lifehouse!) in 1971. Performed here by the tightest band on the planet, Leonid and Friends

Man when I was a kid my sister played this song all the time.

Such a great song.

• Like 1

I can’t believe this is almost 20 years old.

The verses have sort of a Free sound, the chorus definitely Moody Blues, but that guitar solo just kills me.

I believe they recorded this album at Abbey Road.

• Like 1

Heard this band when they played a SXSW show 20(?) years ago.  

They're not digging any new earth, but it's a pretty solid rock song front to back.  The studio version is sonically better than this one.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 9:56 AM, Mileslong said:

First released by Lighthouse (Not Lifehouse!) in 1971. Performed here by the tightest band on the planet, Leonid and Friends

I could tell 'Leonid' was the Bass player...because the bass volume is higher than it should be.   But damn fine cover.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not bad but doesn't quite touch the original.

Damn.  Lenny Williams.  Haven't heard that in years.  And let me just comment on the mix & production -- absolutely perfect.  Sweet reverb on the vocals, drums and percussion panned left, horns split left/right, feels like a great scotch at the end of a long day of work.

I hope the world figures out how to create music this good again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll start with two...

Dengue Fever is an LA band that celebrates the lost Cambodian rock n roll scene that was erased from history by Pol Pot.

One of my favorite Massive Attack songs was a collaboration with soul/jazz artist Terry Callier.  It never appeared on a proper Massive Attack album but only on a compilation.  A version of the song appears on Callier's album, Hidden Conversations.