2024 Transfer Thread - A Clowncar of Posters, Careening Towards the Canyon

Liucci wrote that passive aggressive post 5? months ago, A&M could have lost 70 players to the portal and he would still be rallying the cult on how the BOMC was still wrong because he is straw-manning a 71 transfer prediction lol. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Portal Guts Texas A&M Like A Fish
29 minutes ago, linux said:

Liucci wrote that passive aggressive post 5? months ago, A&M could have lost 70 players to the portal and he would still be rallying the cult on how the BOMC was still wrong because he is straw-manning a 71 transfer prediction lol. 

Are you under the impression TexAgs writes the dates of its posts in the European format? 98% of their posters couldn’t even locate Europe on a map. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Are you under the impression TexAgs writes the dates of its posts in the European format? 98% of their posters couldn’t even locate Europe on a map. 

Reminded me of this very funny snippet from War of the Worlds.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cross posting for posterity:

FvCvt3aWcAop8zE?format=jpg&name=large

No new entries? Does Billy not know that they still have till midnight on Tuesday to file the paperwork or is texags cc'ed on all AD football communications?

Honestly neither would surprise me. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Which of the 2022 OL do you think transfers first?  

I know there was some smoke around Neto this season, but he seems on the cusp of getting starter snaps.  Malik Ogbo or Connor Robertson seem the farthest behind at this point.  Surely there’s no chance we keep 7 OL from the same cycle all the way through graduation.

7 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I had high hopes for Jaray.  I haven't heard anything negative about him.  

I guess he's just a tweener and can't find a spot.  

The raw 2a kid that didn't play his senior year of high school and is in his second year in college?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

I know there was some smoke around Neto this season, but he seems on the cusp of getting starter snaps.  Malik Ogbo or Connor Robertson seem the farthest behind at this point.  Surely there’s no chance we keep 7 OL from the same cycle all the way through graduation.

No clue, but I've always assumed that at least 1, if not 2-3, would be gone due to playing time at some point. Seems probable for the 2024 cycle.

59 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I had high hopes for Jaray.  I haven't heard anything negative about him.  

I guess he's just a tweener and can't find a spot.  

It's still early for most of the guys I listed, so nothing will surprise me in terms of guys like Tapp or Bledsoe taking a major and sudden step up in performance and therefore snaps.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Fumbles said:

This is not meant as an answer to your question - I heard that the guy whose name you misspelled was considering transferring (not for tampering/PT/NIL reasons) but that Sark talked him out of it during the spring exit interview. Sharing as it's another positive data point for the culture. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is not meant as an answer to your question - I heard that the guy whose name you misspelled was considering transferring (not for tampering/PT/NIL reasons) but that Sark talked him out of it during the spring exit interview. Sharing as it's another positive data point for the culture. 
Unless you're a badass future first rounder like Banks, I wouldn't think O-linemen are exactly swamped with NIL offers. In other words that isn't likely the reason one of the big boys transfers. That is unless of it's the aggy version of "NIL", but O-linemen tend to be a bit smarter than your typical skill position bag chaser.

4 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Good info and my apologies to Muhlique Aghbeaux.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

UNC is big mad about this one. Over/Under of NCAA's continued existence? I say 5 years. 

I have never heard Mack go off like this:

Mack Brown’s statement on the NCAA’s decision on Tez Walker: ‘Shame on you, NCAA’

North Carolina head coach Mack Brown also blasted the NCAA in a lengthy statement. He expressed a similar sentiment to Cunningham, pointing out the reasons why Walker should have been granted eligibility.

“I don’t know that l’ve ever been more disappointed in a person, a group of people, or an institution than I am with the NCAA right now,” Brown said. “It’s clear that the NCAA is about process and it couldn’t care less about the young people it’s supposed to be supporting. Plain and simple, the NCAA has failed Tez and his family and I’ve lost all faith in its ability to lead and govern our sport. They’ve messed so many things up as it relates to college football, and now their failures have negatively impacted the life of one of our own.”

Brown also noted Walker’s mental health struggles he dealt with in college, which was a part of his decision to move closer to home at North Carolina. Given the NCAA’s decision, he argued the organization didn’t take that into consideration

“How dare they ever speak about mental health and student-athlete welfare again,” Brown said of the NCAA. “We’ve got complete rosters overhauled through the transfer portal, players playing in their 8th year of college, players playing at their fourth school, and the list goes on. Yet, Tez Walker, who has only played football at one school, isn’t eligible. It makes no sense and it never will.

“Moving forward, our Carolina family is strong and we need to wrap our arms around Tez, lift him up, and make sure we continue to do all we can to support him. He’s continued to work, on the field and off, and remained an amazing member of our program throughout this ordeal. I know that will continue to happen because that’s the kind of person he is. Despite this setback, Tez’s future remains bright and we’ll continue to do everything we can to help him fulfill all of his dreams.

“Shame on you, NCAA. SHAME ON YOU!”

I agree with Mack completely on this. The NCAA is an evil entity at this point. They only exist to make money for their own bureaucracy and do not care who or what they damage as they keep that gravy train flowing. I wish like hell that college presidents could muster the guts to break away from them and render them obsolete. 

• Hook 'Em 5

What the fuck? The UNC kid transferred before the NCAA changed the rule. At some point, somebody is going to tell the NCAA to get bent. I assume it will have to be a school that doesn't currently have a strong basketball program and can spit in the face of a possible tournament suspension?

Edited by Da Fino

The NCAA's bread and butter: create rules with little to no guidelines and then implement random guidelines years later. I thought it was stupid and hilarious that they all of a sudden this year they decided they were going to crack down on second time transfers. Tez Walker doesn't get to play football now meanwhile Juwan Mitchell is on his, what, 11th college team with no penalty?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Da Fino said:

What the fuck? The UNC kid transferred before the NCAA changed the rule. At some point, somebody is going to tell the NCAA to get fucked. I assume it will have to be a school that doesn't currently have a strong basketball program and can spit in the face of a possible tournament suspension?

Honestly, it might be the opposite. Piss off UNC and see if they don't begin work to disconnect the post season from the NCAA. This could be interesting if they get any buy-in from other basketball powers.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Honestly, it might be the opposite. Piss off UNC and see if they don't begin work to disconnect the post season from the NCAA. This could be interesting if they get any buy-in from other basketball powers.

I would love to see Mack publicly state that the NCAA has no power over them and to just play him anyway. Then, when they try to strip the wins away, he just gives them the middle finger in the press and tells them he is no longer beholden to their organization. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

What the fuck? The UNC kid transferred before the NCAA changed the rule. At some point, somebody is going to tell the NCAA to get bent. I assume it will have to be a school that doesn't currently have a strong basketball program and can spit in the face of a possible tournament suspension?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I, sirs, am no Randolph Duke.  Nor am I a Randolph UNC, for that matter.  But I believe that most of the money that directly goes to the NCAA, comes from March Madness.  So if the BB powerhouses cut them out of that, they would be destitute.  

Couple of Randolph ... err, random snippets:

image.png.8f65c094b0cdf554cd0106b6a5d741c6.png

image.png.720a9e1f335775d1d40327fe93ed5af2.png

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with Mack completely on this. The NCAA is an evil entity at this point. They only exist to make money for their own bureaucracy and do not care who or what they damage as they keep that gravy train flowing. I wish like hell that college presidents could muster the guts to break away from them and render them obsolete. 

I feel bad for the player, but I definitely don't feel bad for the coaches like Mack and the schools who have been complaining about the transfer portal and demanding the NCAA reign it in.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a decent article from the Bama writers on 247. It includes some significant information about Bama and ATM using the transfer portal, usually poorly. The title of the article is "Have the rich actually gotten richer in the transfer portal and NIL era?" (narrator: no)

Spoiler

When the NCAA loosened its transfer portal rules in early 2021, it kicked off a new era of college football -- and Nick Saban issued what was largely considered a warning.

“I think what’s going to happen as you see how often in a lot of leagues -- you know, the good players go to a good team and the bad players leave good teams because they’re not playing,” Saban said in April 2021. “So is that going to make the rich get richer? I don’t know. You can decide that.”

In Saban-speak, that was widely viewed as his way of saying yes, the rich would get richer. Competitive imbalance threatened college football, Saban argued, and Alabama was "one of the haves" as opposed to the have-nots. And for the first season of the new rules in 2021, Saban was certainly right: Alabama turned an underused receiver at Ohio State in Jameson Williams into a star, and the Tide plucked a starting inside linebacker in Henry To'o To'o away from Tennessee under newly-relaxed SEC transfer rules. Both were significant contributors to a team that advanced to the national championship game, before Williams' knee injury derailed Alabama's offense in a loss to Georgia.

“I don’t think our good players are going to be leaving,” Saban said. “But I think we’ll be able to get some good players to join us, when we have room to do that.”

Combined with the advent of name, image and likeness compensation a few months later in July 2021, it was supposed to mark the beginning of an ultra-concentration of talent at the top of an already top-heavy college football hierarchy. It was likened to free agency without a salary cap or luxury tax, with the best teams collecting the best players and the rest of college football suffering as a result.

“So there’s going to have to be some changes implemented, some kind of way to still create a level playing field,” Saban told the Associated Press in April 2022. “And there is no salary cap. So whatever school decides they want to pay the most, they have the best chance to have the best team. And that’s never been college football, either.”

Two-and-a-half years into the new era, a different word has emerged to describe it: parity.

"I think it's changed the game tremendously," Saban said Sept. 21 on his "Hey Coach" radio show. "I think that the really, really good teams have a more difficult time because you don't lose some of your best players, but you lose a lot of depth on your team. It makes you younger and you don't have a lot of depth. But it also gives you an opportunity, if you're building a program, to get players from another resource so you can actually rebuild a lot quicker and get to a higher level more quickly.

"I think it's creating a lot more parity."

That will be on display Saturday in Kyle Field. Alabama and Texas A&M are two of the seven highest-grossing athletics departments in the country, each to a certain degree boasting a donor base capable of spending on players. Alabama in particular can sell players on having piles of championship rings and the greatest coach of all time prepare them for the NFL, where its past players have earned billions. Texas A&M has one of the largest stadiums in the nation and its "12th man" atmosphere to attract players from one of the most talent-rich regions of the country.

These were supposed to be two of the titans of the pseudo-professional college football league that had been created. Instead, 11th-ranked Alabama enters Saturday's game ranked outside of the Associated Press top 10 for the third consecutive week -- something that has not happened since the beginning of the 2008 season. Texas A&M is unranked, the result of losing to Miami earlier this season. In terms of where both teams stand nationally, it might be the least significant game between Alabama and Texas A&M since Jimbo Fisher became the Aggies' coach in 2018.

What is giving this game juice -- and a broadcast TV afternoon time slot on CBS -- is more about what happens to the team that loses and not the team that wins. If Texas A&M falls, Fisher's seat will warm further after his job security was called into question during a disappointing 2022 season. If Alabama loses, there will be a renewed focus on Saban's future in coaching after those questions grew louder after last month's loss to Texas. In either case, a loss would virtually knock that team out of College Football Playoff contention. The winner will be in the driver's seat for the SEC West title, but still far from a lock to earn a spot in the playoff.

It has the feeling of a fight to survive among two programs that many thought were going to thrive in the new environment of college football.

Consider that Texas A&M and Alabama finished Nos. 1 and 2 in 247 Sports' industry composite team rankings for the 2022 high school class. That prompted Saban's famous comment in May 2022 that, "We were second in recruiting last year. A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team. Made a deal for name, image and likeness. We didn’t buy one player."

A season-and-a-half later, Alabama has found two bona fide starters from its 2022 class in left guard Tyler Booker and defensive lineman Jaheim Oatis. Other players have become contributors to varying degrees in wide receivers Isaiah Bond, Kobe Prentice and Kendrick Law, tight end Amari Niblack, and linebacker Jihaad Campbell. The rest of the group has seen little-to-no playing time outside of special teams, and three members of the class have transferred: four-star receiver Aaron Anderson (to LSU), four-star tight end Elijah Brown (to FAU) and three-star offensive tackle Dayne Shor (to UConn).

Of the top 12-rated players in Texas A&M's 2022 class, five have already transferred in five-star wide receiver Chris Marshall (to Ole Miss, then dismissed), five-star defensive lineman Anthony Lucas (to USC), four-star cornerback Denver Harris (to LSU), four-star cornerback Smoke Bouie (to Georgia) and four-star offensive tackle PJ Williams (to SMU). But the historic 30-player class has still delivered early returns for the Aggies, with five-star receiver Evan Stewart leading the team in receiving, five-star defensive lineman Walter Nolan tied for second on the team in sacks, four-star running back Le'Veon Moss leading the team in rushing and five-star quarterback Conner Weigman starting until his injury.

It still wasn't enough to get Texas A&M past Miami, and a loss to Alabama would mean another season falling short of expectations in Aggieland. Of course, the same is true for Alabama: the talent the Tide has collected was not enough to get past Texas, and a loss to Texas A&M would mean a third season out of the playoff in a five-year stretch for a program that played in the national championship game each of the four seasons before that.

Something else both Alabama and Texas A&M have in common: each has lost a large volume of players to the portal, not just from their 2022 high-school classes. Alabama lost 18 scholarship players last offseason. Like Saban predicted, none could be considered Alabama's "best" players but some were important second-line depth pieces that have been replaced with less experienced players. Texas A&M lost more than 25 scholarship players to the portal, and had the most losses in the country after the winter transfer window closed.

That leads back to something Saban has raised more recently about the portal: players can choose to leave, but Alabama can replace them through the portal, too. For Alabama the past two seasons, its portal additions have been selective and, in some cases, underwhelming.

In 2022, the Tide ranked sixth in 247 Sports' transfer portal rankings by adding five players: cornerback Eli Ricks (LSU), wide receiver Jermaine Burton (Georgia), running back Jahmyr Gibbs (Georgia Tech), wide receiver Tyler Harrell (Louisville) and offensive tackle Tyler Steen (Vanderbilt). Of that group, Gibbs and Steen became immediate contributors. Gibbs was Alabama's leading pass-catcher last season and averaged 6.1 yards per carry, later picked in the first round by the Detroit Lions. Steen was the starting left tackle and became a third-round NFL pick.

Burton was quiet in multiple SEC games last season but spiked over the final three games, when he totaled 302 receiving yards. This season, Burton has been limited to 189 yards on eight catches -- a total that still leads the Tide but ranks lower than 200th nationally. Coincidentally, escaping a passing-challenged offense was something Saban suggested played a role in Burton leaving Georgia for Alabama and Bryce Young last season.

"[He] probably might have seen a better opportunity because we're a little more wide open and throw the ball more with a good quarterback," Saban said in 2022. "That may have been his intention."

Ricks did not become a starter until mid-October before suffering a concussion and missing more playing time in November, then declared for the NFL draft after the season. Harrell was never a factor despite track-star speed that attracted Alabama.

Alabama's 2023 portal haul was much less heralded. It ranked 53rd in the country, initially including Maryland tight end CJ Dippre and Georgia linebacker Trezmen Marshall before the spring window brought quarterback Tyler Buchner, cornerback Trey Amos and safety Jaylen Key. Of that group, Marshall, Dippre and Key have all become solid starters for the Tide, although Dippre has five catches for 104 yards after leaving a Maryland offense that ranks in the top 20 in passing this season. Amos has played sparingly, initially rotating with Terrion Arnold at cornerback while more recently serving as a sixth defensive back.

Buchner, meanwhile, was a disaster in his lone start at South Florida being benched. He served as Alabama's fourth quarterback in last Saturday's game at Mississippi State, having been surpassed by Ty Simpson and freshman Dylan Lonergan. It is safe to assume Buchner was not Alabama's first choice among external quarterbacks, with ESPN reporting last month that Alabama "sniffed around" North Carolina's Drake Maye while Notre Dame's Sam Hartman said Alabama was among the schools contacting him in the portal.

Of the 10 teams ranked higher than Alabama in the AP poll, six have quarterbacks who transferred to that program during a previous offseason: Notre Dame with Hartman, USC with Caleb Williams, Washington with Michael Penix Jr., Oregon with Bo Nix, Florida State with Jordan Travis and Texas with Quinn Ewers.

Texas A&M will also start a transfer quarterback against Alabama in Max Johnson, who lost to the Tide as LSU's starter in 2021 before leaving for the Aggies. He was part of a two-player Texas A&M portal haul in 2022 that also included backup defensive lineman Micaiah Overton. This past offseason, the Aggies were more aggressive in filling needs through the portal, adding 15 players and ranking 26th nationally.

The bulk of the contributions from the Aggies' transfer portal class have come from Josh DeBerry, a starting cornerback from Boston College, and wide receiver Jahdae Walker, from Grand Valley State. But Texas A&M added a pair of former top-50 cornerbacks in Sam McCall (Florida State) and Tony Grimes (North Carolina), with Grimes not having played and McCall limited to a special teams role.

Have the rich gotten richer in college football? I don't know; you can decide that.

"It's utterly ridiculous. I mean, it's a joke. It's an absolute joke that's ruining college football," Fisher said last December about the transfer portal and NIL, after the Aggies' 5-7 finish. "This is not good for college football, as far as how it's done. I'm not saying being able to transfer is not bad, I'm not saying being able to pay players is not bad -- but the current rules and status of how it's done and the way it's done is ridiculous.

"But it's here. Everybody's got the same issues. Everybody's got the same problems."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

This is crazy... In theory,  Coaches can flip their entire roster every year.

NCAA officially limits initial counter rules, unlimited signing classes now available

"If coaches want to bring in 85 new players from season to season, the NCAA rule book won't stop them."

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-officially-limits-initial-counter-rules-unlimited-signing-classes-now-available-deion-sanders

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This is crazy... In theory,  Coaches can flip their entire roster every year.

NCAA officially limits initial counter rules, unlimited signing classes now available

"If coaches want to bring in 85 new players from season to season, the NCAA rule book won't stop them."

https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-officially-limits-initial-counter-rules-unlimited-signing-classes-now-available-deion-sanders

image.gif.26304cf41a507dfddff58368d3ee0efe.gif

• Haha 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - A Clowncar of Posters, Careening Towards the Canyon