Silo (Apple TV+) - Premiers May 5th

Captain Ron

On 3/6/2023 at 10:48 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Silo will needs its own thread. Should be huge if they don't fuck it up.

The books were great. Could be big like Last of Us.

Granted. Read the books like 10 years ago, loved them. Interested to see how this plays out on screen.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:47 PM, YGIFS said:

^

Silo looks a lot like a darker version of "City of Ember" which also starred Tim Robbins.  Looks good though, will check it out.  

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Episode 1 and 2 dropped just now. 

First episode is free for anybody not subscribed (I think, Apple has done that with their other shows).

First episode felt like a movie itself, and it seemed long but in a good way - I never looked at my watch....the quality/cinematography/sets felt like a movie, the casting is great - Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo were the majority of the screentime and they both were really good.

It's been years since I read Wool, and it feels like they are slightly adjusting the timeline for a TV series and I'm completely fine with that.

Can't wait to watch the second episode tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

First episode is free for anybody not subscribed (I think, Apple has done that with their other shows).

First episode felt like a movie itself, and it seemed long but in a good way - I never looked at my watch....the quality/cinematography/sets felt like a movie, the casting is great - Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo were the majority of the screentime and they both were really good.

It's been years since I read Wool, and it feels like they are slightly adjusting the timeline for a TV series and I'm completely fine with that.

Can't wait to watch the second episode tonight.

This was me right here. Everything - spot fucking on. What you said - I felt 100%. Though I did glance at my watch around 55 minutes wondering if maybe they snuck the two episodes together and I was going to need to plan an escape moment. 

Despite the time shift (if any), the episode felt like the first part of the book come to life, almost like the first season of GOT was book 1 almost perfectly.

And the intro of Juliette - what I've imagined in my head for years, almost spot on. (in my mind she had a hard hat).

I will say this - this story is a lot more of a slow burn than most. I'm curious how that crawl works and how it resonates with the viewers.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And the intro of Juliette - what I've imagined in my head for years, almost spot on. (in my mind she had a hard hat).

Again, it's been years since I read it, but feels like they nailed her character down just from the little bit we've seen of her so far.

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I will say this - this story is a lot more of a slow burn than most. I'm curious how that crawl works and how it resonates with the viewers.

Yeah, and given the slow burn of the first episode, Oyelowo and Jones carried it all the way to the finish line - if it was going to go off the rails, I feel like the things that were happening to them in the first episode (trying not to get into spoilers) were where the first episode would have gone off the rails.  And kudos to the writing as well. 

It's hard to put into words, but if this had been a Netflix series, I feel like the first episode would have been different and not as weighty.  Apple is doing a fantastic job with these big series. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

There is nothing graphic that I can recall from the books in either sex or violence (it has been about a decade like most). This is a more psychological ride than action/violence. The first episode literally has a couple trying to get pregnant, so depending on where you are in that discussion ...

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, austingirl said:

My 11-yo loved City of Ember and this looks like a grown-up version of it - he saw the trailer and really wants to watch. What's the sex/violence content like?

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The first episode literally has a couple trying to get pregnant, so depending on where you are in that discussion ...

And they are really trying to get pregnant, even if there is no nudity.

• Hook 'Em 1

Feels like your basic “this isn’t what it seems” setup, like snowpiercer in a vertical shaft.  I have thoughts on the rebellion, wonder how long before they are confirmed or not. Unsure what to think about the outside,  curious about the ppe they get when the go out. 

15 hours ago, YoungCounty said:

Watched both episodes tonight. I didn’t want it to end. Looking forward to the next one. I assume this will be one episode a week moving forward?

I know nothing about the book, so I really hope there are no spoilers on this thread. 

Yeah Apple usually drops 2 at the start for the buzz and then goes to one per week.  While it is a Friday show, they do drop their shows 8pm CT the night before. 

On 5/5/2023 at 9:56 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

curious about the ppe they get when the go out. 

It bugs me that two people who apparently found proof that they're being lied to and that it may be safe outside did their cleanings the same way as the dozens of people that they saw drop dead in their suits in the past. Pretty dumb.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:19 PM, aggie08 said:

It bugs me that two people who apparently found proof that they're being lied to and that it may be safe outside did their cleanings the same way as the dozens of people that they saw drop dead in their suits in the past. Pretty dumb.

The assumption I've got is if they were correct then what the others are "seeing" is not what is happening, possibly including the cleanings.

The cleanings were somewhat addressed when the sheriff says in internal monologue that everyone needs to see this.  Now, are they playing tricks on us and what we see on the video screen isn’t what is really happening when we get the close up of his face?  Guess we will find out.  They do have the one shot from behind as he wipes the lens of the camera, so presumably that action is real. 

The founders were not very good engineers. How the hell did they not install a steam bypass valve? Secondly how did they not install 2 generators? You need redundancy. Blades break and warp, bearings go bad. You have to take a generator down for maintenance on a regular basis, you're telling me this has run for 140 years?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, semitired said:

Notice the screen/window when they cut the power. You would think with that many people in the room, someone would notice.

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me. it's an image coming from a camera feed, not sure how power blip would cause camera feed to show unaltered camera feed.

38 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me. it's an image coming from a camera feed, not sure how power blip would cause camera feed to show unaltered camera feed.

Wonder if both are computer generated. 

also, could the “suits” they put them in to go outside have a screen for a mask as well or poison them when they leave so they die quickly in view?  Dead bodies in the window is a powerful reminder to those inside to stay there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Tim robbins and IT must have an app that alters the live feed but their video-altering server turned off before the video feed itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Holy crap, what a dropoff in the writing from the first two episodes to the third.  

I don’t know about a drop off in the writing but I thought Tim Robbins’ acting was awful to the point of distracting from the story. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

While I agree that it wouldn't make sense to repair their generator by effectively drawing the play in the dirt 5 minutes before starting, it made for a suspenseful scene. We only have 30 minutes to 2 hours to complete the most important task in 150 years, so we will figure out it as we go.

Juliette will have to learn to not be so reckless (examples: repair, climbing down that rope without a plan, etc.) and I assume the deputy will now stay on to provide some mature guidance for her. Or she will bring up the deputy from the lower sections to be her sounding board partner.

I might sound critical but I like the show. they don't waste time even asking the viewer to go along with some logical leaps. Shows with 8-10 episode seasons can't take forever with a story whereas Lost had that luxury with 23+ episode seasons

• Hook 'Em 1