Silo (Apple TV+) - Premiers May 5th

Captain Ron

I swear that when Holston went outside and they showed outside from his POV, the bodies disappeared. When you view cleanings from the inside, you see the bodies, but I don't think they're actually there. I'll need to look up the clip from when the camera feed blipped last week, but I don't think the bodies were shown then either.

• Hook 'Em 1

The bodies are digitally added, like the dead trees, etc. It appeared like the suit was poisoning Holston, but who knows. My question is if Holston and the others survive outside, how come they haven’t tried to tell the people on the inside?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Small side note- Will Patton generally isn’t too bad of an actor. But was it just me or was he super over the top in this episode?

I felt the same. I guess he had a thing for the mayor for longer or more deeply than they showed, because I kept thinking he needed to get a hold of himself.

For a very subdued character it felt like too much.

Plus, given, uh, the implication [/dennis] of a closed off silo, I'd think a "upper levels" officer could find him a GILF fairly easily, but I digress.

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Having not read the source material, I find myself wondering if there are more silos, all with history conveniently erased, and nobody knows about the others except the unknowns that are obviously at the top and controlling things. 

You talking Sims or Matrix?

9 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

I felt the same. I guess he had a thing for the mayor for longer or more deeply than they showed, because I kept thinking he needed to get a hold of himself.

For a very subdued character it felt like too much.

Plus, given, uh, the implication [/dennis] of a closed off silo, I'd think a "upper levels" officer could find him a GILF fairly easily, but I digress.

I had assumed they were married or otherwise together - I was surprised when they made it seem like a big reveal that they were into each other and wanted to retire together.

I watched this over the weekend (up to Ep4.)   I did not read the book(s) so I had not reference point for the material.   I thought that the "truth" about outside would be more exposed by this point but I'm glad it hasn't.  The build up has been pretty good and the cast is solid overall (Tim Robbins notwithstanding.)

I watched the first 4 episodes and I’m enjoying it, although there is a lot of suspension of disbelief over little things - Where do they get batteries? How have all computers not failed after 140 years? Lightbulbs? How do they maintain breathable air? Infectious disease? I can mostly look past those issues for now.

It felt from the beginning like they are being lied to about the outside world, which makes them prisoners. Assuming that’s how this pans out, it feels like I’ve seen this story before, both in the movie The Island and the TV series Ascension. The details were a little different, but the general idea of keeping a group of people captive in an enclosed environment was basically the same. I’m hopeful this will be different, and curious how that will be.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/23/2023 at 11:11 PM, wild_turkey said:

I watched the first 4 episodes and I’m enjoying it, although there is a lot of suspension of disbelief over little things - Where do they get batteries? How have all computers not failed after 140 years? Lightbulbs? How do they maintain breathable air? Infectious disease? I can mostly look past those issues for now.

Yeah, just finished E3, and yeah, that's not how a steam turbine works. I still like the show overall though.

After finishing e5, the funeral scene got me to thinking. First, do they bury all of their dead?  That has to be hundreds of people a year from a population of 10,000?  Putting bodies in the ground to decompose and help the soil may be a good idea, but their farming space must be limited and bones last a long time- hence Paris having to reclaim burial space and create the catacombs.

That’s also when I started paying attention to crowds.  I don’t think I have seen anyone older than around their 60s.  So now I’m wondering if there’s an age limit in place- or at least when you become incapable of performing your assigned job. 

On 5/24/2023 at 12:11 AM, wild_turkey said:

The details were a little different, but the general idea of keeping a group of people captive in an enclosed environment was basically the same. I’m hopeful this will be different, and curious how that will be.

Unfortunately, it can never top the best version ever made.

image-w1280.jpg?size=800x

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

After finishing e5, the funeral scene got me to thinking. First, do they bury all of their dead?  That has to be hundreds of people a year from a population of 10,000?  Putting bodies in the ground to decompose and help the soil may be a good idea, but their farming space must be limited and bones last a long time- hence Paris having to reclaim burial space and create the catacombs.

That’s also when I started paying attention to crowds.  I don’t think I have seen anyone older than around their 60s.  So now I’m wondering if there’s an age limit in place- or at least when you become incapable of performing your assigned job. 

The Silo has 144 levels and around 10,000 people. We also don’t know how many farming sections they have. The one they showed looked pretty large. I don’t think they have a bone issue. Even if they did, seems like they would just dig up the bones, and grind them down to use for another purpose. 

I don’t think there is an age limit. Mayor Johns, Deputy Marnes, Bernard Holland are old. Just once you get above 70s, you don’t have a lot of the modern medicine to keep them alive like we do today. No cancer treatment. No cholesterol medication. No hip replacement. Many people probably don’t make it past 50s. 

Really enjoying this show. Re: people leaving the Silo and dying. I don’t buy it. It seems too simple and straightforward for a show that isn’t.

Also, why would a Rashida Jones actress sign on for one off episode? I know it happens all the time, but my spidey sense says we see her again.

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The Silo has 144 levels and around 10,000 people.

Dumb comment/question amnesty:

• If the Silo is 144 levels and each level (eyeballing spiral stairs) looks to be about 30 feet, then the lowest level of the silo is 4,320 feet down. 
  • How fucking hot is it on the lowest levels? How much air pressure would that put on inhabitants of the lowest levels?

According to my extensive wiki research, the temperature increases as much as 30C degrees for every kilometer. To put that in 'murcan terms, the lowest levels should be 71F degrees warmer than the top. I guess one could argue that it's hermetically sealed and air pressure doesn't matter, but the heat thing seems a bit challenging -- especially with that giant lake at the bottom since it should be like steaming like a Finnish sauna.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

• If the Silo is 144 levels and each level (eyeballing spiral stairs) looks to be about 30 feet, then the lowest level of the silo is 4,320 feet down. 
  • How fucking hot is it on the lowest levels? How much air pressure would that put on inhabitants of the lowest levels?

According to my extensive wiki research, the temperature increases as much as 30C degrees for every kilometer. To put that in 'murcan terms, the lowest levels should be 71F degrees warmer than the top. I guess one could argue that it's hermetically sealed and air pressure doesn't matter, but the heat thing seems a bit challenging -- especially with that giant lake at the bottom since it should be like steaming like a Finnish sauna.

It’s not a dumb comment. There are a million things like this, especially in science fiction. Like all fiction, it requires a suspension of disbelief by the consumer, especially more so in film than novel because of limited time/space. Just because they haven’t explained how they manage excessive bone remains, computer maintenance, or air pressure temperature issues, it doesn’t mean it’s not possible. Spending valuable screen time to insert a “air pressure is managed by the XYZ gadget” line is not cost effective, and thus, unless it is vital to the story/plot, the viewer can just suspend disbelief and assume the XYZ gadget exists. 

Is the story believable? That’s all that matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

Engineers posting on science fiction are as bad as Derka posting on Ted Lasso or lawyers posting on…just about anything. 

Change my mind. 

(eta I’m a lawyer)

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 7

Yep. Don't turn up the lights too high or get too close to good Sci-Fi series.

Sometimes you just have to swallow time travel or people just casually standing and sitting while a spacecraft suddenly accelerates to near light speed or even faster by creating some sort of space warp (don't ask about that, either).

I'm not a casual science fiction fan. I only read or watch the stuff that's highly recommended on boards like this or elsewhere.

The most engrossing and beyond most questions that I could possibly generate sci-fi that I've ever read was The Three-Body Problem  by Liu Cixin and the ensuing enormous two novels. 

On 5/22/2023 at 5:42 AM, Captain Ron said:

Small side note- Will Patton generally isn’t too bad of an actor. But was it just me or was he super over the top in this episode?

Sorry, but that dude is terrible in this show, mostly because his character is a complete mess.

We're a little ways into episode 3. I'm getting impatient. The hee-hee-hee! sex in the first episode was sorta tedious, and I don't care about the couple's desire to have a baby. All that time could have been spent being a little more creative dramatizing a relationship. They're fucking; it's really love! isn't enough for me.

I also worry that I've figured a lot of stuff out already. A good series will make me wrong which is what I'm hoping for. 

It's about time to crack into whatever the dreaded Judicial is all about.

Good enough to keep going for awhile. Harriet Walter is in everything and always good.

If something happens to Juliet, who is going to tighten the big nut in the generator? It looks pretty complicated.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

We're a little ways into episode 3. I'm getting impatient. The hee-hee-hee! sex in the first episode was sorta tedious, and I don't care about the couple's desire to have a baby. All that time could have been spent being a little more creative dramatizing a relationship. They're fucking; it's really love! isn't enough for me.

I also worry that I've figured a lot of stuff out already. A good series will make me wrong which is what I'm hoping for. 

It's about time to crack into whatever the dreaded Judicial is all about.

Good enough to keep going for awhile. Harriet Walter is in everything and always good.

If something happens to Juliet, who is going to tighten the big nut in the generator? It looks pretty complicated.

I think Derka may have hacked your account. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Check out the Ted Lasso thread.  

I don't know exactly what that means, either. I know Derka is in low standing, so I surmise you're deriding me or just poking a little fun. I'm not up to researching it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't know exactly what that means, either. I know Derka is in low standing, so I surmise you're deriding me or just poking a little fun. I'm not up to researching it.

I sent you a PM so as not to derail further.  

I wonder what the Syndrome is? Body reacting negatively to lack of natural light? Also it appears Judge Meadows might have it as well. She seemed off

So was the Silo bright with camera system to monitor people or is the Silo an experiment? 

Lots to unpack this week.

To Neon's question, I lean toward the Silo being some kind of experiment.   

And is the Judge also Martha's ex?   Sure looked like a younger version of her in the picture Martha had.

Very curious about the Syndrome too.

Edited by Macanudo

Does anyone notice that Rebecca Ferguson sometimes goes into a Swedish/English type accent? I don't understand how anyone would still have a county based accent after hundreds of years underground. Seems more likely you'd have have an upper, mid or deep accent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zman13 said:

Does anyone notice that Rebecca Ferguson sometimes goes into a Swedish/English type accent? I don't understand how anyone would still have a county based accent after hundreds of years underground. Seems more likely you'd have have an upper, mid or deep accent. 

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

She has the accent of an educated middie who moved to the down deep as a tween. It just sounds Swedishish.

Her accent is killing me! It comes and goes. I get she supposed to have a neutral “American” accent (even Dr. Jorah tried to have one). But the accent going in and out kills me. I would prefer they let her have an accent and go with it. 

Edited by Captain Ron