Silo (Apple TV+) - Premiers May 5th

Captain Ron

Derka sock?

The first 3 episodes of Silo were magical but now they are trying too hard to virtue signal about not sharing relics from your exes and it beats you over the head about the threat of cleaning, so woke to the point that it’s not even funny anymore.
  • Haha 3

On 6/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, zman13 said:

Does anyone notice that Rebecca Ferguson sometimes goes into a Swedish/English type accent? I don't understand how anyone would still have a county based accent after hundreds of years underground. Seems more likely you'd have have an upper, mid or deep accent. 

Who cares?  She gives me a boner and the fact that her character is giving away she’s a Scandi makes it harder. 

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

This show has taken a hard turn toward the extremely average the past 3-4 episodes.  

The only real enjoyable parts have been the last five or so minutes then rinse and repeat every episode.  

Agreed. Really liked the first couple of episodes, with the sheriff and Ann Perkins and all that. But that all died. 

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

This show has taken a hard turn toward the extremely average the past 3-4 episodes.  

The only real enjoyable parts have been the last five or so minutes then rinse and repeat every episode.  

Also agree... if this series were converted to a movie those episodes would be condensed down to 5-7 minutes tops

1 hour ago, gofuckyourself said:

I read the books years ago but either they've changed a lot of I don't remember shit.

Definitely turning boring or just drawn out too much. The mystery of who is killing people has so little reveal it's annoying.

I recall the books being much more interesting.

Yeah, there is a lot of changes. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember judicial being a thing. 

On 6/14/2023 at 6:29 PM, DDD Dad said:

How many books are there?  And is George RR Martin responsible for finishing them?

They are all finished. And there are 9 or 3 depending on how you count. “Iit’s complicated”

He released books 1-5 across 7 months and they would be combined into an omnibus edition. That’s Wool. Book 1 of these 5 was episode 1 & 2  

Books 6-8 are the Shift series and came out across 9 months. Also put into their own Anthology.

Book 9 wraps it all up. 

On 6/14/2023 at 8:23 PM, seven said:

Yeah, there is a lot of changes. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember judicial being a thing. 

There are a lot of changes. That second point likely should have been spoilered. But no, they weren’t  

I haven’t talked books yet, but I’ve been tempted to have some discussion. I think there is a lot to be said across what is different. Though like many it’s been a while since I read them. I have some theories. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I haven’t talked books yet, but I’ve been tempted to have some discussion. I think there is a lot to be said across what is different. Though like many it’s been a while since I read them. I have some theories. 

If you're curious, the author is very happy, and he's been linking a ton of resources/places discussing it.

https://hughhowey.com/we-are-live/

https://hughhowey.com/discussion-time/

On 6/15/2023 at 10:19 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If you're curious, the author is very happy, and he's been linking a ton of resources/places discussing it.

https://hughhowey.com/we-are-live/

https://hughhowey.com/discussion-time/

I've been following HH on twitter for a while now, I knew he was more that delighted how this has turned out. Dude seems really down to Earth.

I thought the show was more interesting when it was focused on the mystery of the silo, where it came from, what’s outside, etc. Over the last 2-3 episodes it has shifted towards the power struggle between Juliet and judicial/mayor, which feels pretty generic to me.

Also, I think the actor playing Sims is not that great. I looked him up and was surprised to see that’s Common, who apparently switched to being an actor a long time ago and I’ve been oblivious. Many of his lines are flat and his inflection seems off. Reminds me of Vin Diesel.

I like Juliet and Billings, but the rest of the characters I’m struggling with.

We're through episode 5 right now. Seems like it's turning from an interesting sci-fi premise (why are they in the silo? why can't they go outside? what's the backstory of the founders/rebellion?) to a not-super-interesting murder mystery. It's like the show completely changed premises and even actors after episode 2. They hired Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo just so they could kill them off immediately and never mention them again?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We're through episode 5 right now. Seems like it's turning from an interesting sci-fi premise (why are they in the silo? why can't they go outside? what's the backstory of the founders/rebellion?) to a not-super-interesting murder mystery. It's like the show completely changed premises and even actors after episode 2. They hired Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo just so they could kill them off immediately and never mention them again?

They’re not dead. Rashida is probably the biggest name outside of Robbins in this deal. She’s living outside. Probably as we’ll see as the season concludes or next season. I’m not a bookfag; just my speculation. 

She may be dead, she may not. Plenty of household names take a "lesser" role that helps jump start interest in a new show. See Sean Bean for the extreme example.

I think it's fairly obvious there's something outside the Silo through the 15 metal door. Possibly another Silo.

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

She may be dead, she may not. Plenty of household names take a "lesser" role that helps jump start interest in a new show. See Sean Bean for the extreme example.

I think it's fairly obvious there's something outside the Silo through the 15 metal door. Possibly another Silo.

Please don’t turn this into another Walking Dead shitshow. 

The reveal in this episode was something most viewers hopefully suspected from the very beginning, which makes it feel like not much of a reveal. Beyond that, nothing much happened.

Is there one episode left in the season? Im not expecting much to happen. Maybe Juliet goes to find the door.

• Hook 'Em 1

The outside world seems fine, or at least much better than the Silo residents are led to believe. No surprise there.

There’s a small group of people (Mayor Holland, Sims, their henchmen) within the Silo who are actively maintaining the lie, and presumably this has been going for ~130 years, getting handed down over generations.

So the big question becomes, why would anyone living in the Silo cover up the truth about the outside world, thereby maintaining their own lifelong captivity? Is it possible that Holland and others actually have access to the outside world? Or maybe they don’t fully understand the situation either, and they are maintaining the lie for some unknown reason they falsely believe to be true?

I’m doubtful we will get any of the answers this season.

• Like 1

Haven't watched the last 2, but it does feel like it's the same old we're living in an experiment deal.  Which always made me wonder, what's the point of a 200 year long experiment?  Why set it up if you'll never get your results?  And why the real controllers of the Silo still inside, just hand down the reigns to some other folks, and just take off outside.  I'm sure there was a second door built that can't be see by the sensor.  Is it really that much fun running what is effectively a prison if you have to stay in there with them?  Like the main group of real power is like 4 people to control 10,000?  I mean, that's not a tempting trade-off.  Maybe to control every silo or the entire planet, but you are born, live, and die underground with access to the outside, so you can manipulate a few people here and there, commit murder, and play power-grab games over a place the size of Lockhart?

I get that you have to suspend a lot of disbelief in shows like this.  But there's some basic human nature questions, no?  I can assume they have a stockpile of rare earth elements or can horizontally mine for them for batteries and shit.  I assume the lightbulbs also give off Vitamin D and then Melatonin.  I assume there's oxygen scrubbers and a machine shop that can make all kinds of new stuff including ammunition.  What I don't fucking get is the whole thing is almost a mile deep with 5 foot walls with a single shitty railing?   And all those twisty staircases?  They over-engineered the shit outta that place and nobody every thought to put netting under those things? 

I like most of the cast but the thing I'm most interested in is why the Pact is so adamant that they can never mechanize the vertical nature of the silo.  Not even lifts or pulleys, though they can clearly fashion several given their resources.  Is it something about "taking the stairs" at work that keeps them docile and fit to keep to their labor?    

These are all great questions and why I’ve not heavily invested in the story. 140 years and practically no advancement in technology? Even minor things like pulleys? Some things as old as human civilization. Is the preservation of the silo a religious thing, or commentary of power that it’s not a big kingdom but the kingdom we know? I’ve not read the books.