Oklahoma Begs Supreme Court to Stop it from Killing a Man

Foosters

https://www.vox.com/politics/2023/5/3/23708045/supreme-court-richard-glossip-execution-gentner-drummond-stay-oklahoma

Tragically, the headline is not from The Onion.

"The State of Oklahoma recently made the difficult decision to confess error and support vacating the conviction of Richard Glossip,” the document reads, referring to a death row inmate scheduled to be executed on May 18. But because other parts of the state government don’t agree, and Oklahoma’s attorney general does not have the power to lift Glossip’s death sentence on his own, Drummond is now begging the Supreme Court of the United States to save Glossip’s life.

It’s a bizarre case, where the state’s top prosecutor, who is also the official empowered to speak on behalf of the state in court, can’t actually stop an execution. But he can use the state’s voice to urge the justices to stop that same state from committing a massive injustice.

The case against Glossip, who was convicted for allegedly hiring a coworker to kill his boss in 1997, now lies in shambles. In 2022, Reed Smith LLP, a law firm commissioned by a committee of state lawmakers, released a 343-page report detailing its investigation into Glossip’s conviction and the many errors that led to Glossip being sentenced to die. Its conclusion is scathing:

The State’s destruction and loss of key evidence before Glossip’s retrial deprived the defense from using the evidence at trial (and has deprived the defense today of the ability to perform forensic testing using DNA and technology advancements), the tunnel‐vision and deficient police investigation, the prosecution’s failure to vet evidence and further distortion of it to fit its flawed narrative, and a cascade of errors and missed opportunities by defense attorneys, fundamentally call into question the fairness of the proceedings and the ultimate reliability of the guilty verdict against Glossip for murder.

This report is bolstered by a separate investigation, conducted at Drummond’s request by Rex Duncan, a former district attorney and Republican state lawmaker. Duncan concluded that “Glossip was deprived of a fair trial in which the State can have confidence in the process and result.”

Nevertheless, Drummond has struggled to find someone — anyone — with the power to cure this injustice who is willing to do so. Oklahoma’s Court of Criminal Appeals denied his request to toss out Glossip’s execution, claiming that a crucial piece of new evidence undermining Glossip’s conviction “does not create a reasonable probability that the result of the proceeding would have been different.” Then the state parole board split 2-2 on whether to grant clemency to Glossip, with one member recused because his wife was one of the prosecutors at Glossip’s trial.

Edited by Foosters
Format
  • Rage+1 7

Worthy addition to case. While on death row he met, married and later divorced 21yr old Leigha Jurasik:

image.png.3a02b9ea431dacd9ab879660158c9ac9.png

Then last year marries 32yr old Lea Rodgers ("Lea"'s appear to be drawn to him):

image.png.4df6c0dc82d0773cae1d5e9c05920323.png

Seriously though concerns should be how 2 separate juries and an appeals board all found him guilty given the only real evidence was testimony from an admitted meth addict who was avoiding the death penalty by saying Gossip asked him to do it.

Oklahoma is a fucked up place and Stitt is still a fucking lunatic.

Of late, he's picked up the DeSantis / Abbott baton with the anti-woke, anti-trans, anti-PBS nonsense. I cannot imagine him coming through on this, but I was also shocked when he called out McCurtain County (to little avail). So there's hope.

However, these folks actually take pride in executions, extra-judicial or otherwise.

Serious question: wouldn't a habeas writ move this into federal court and postpone the execution? (Haven't reached this particular level in lawdog training).

51 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Worthy addition to case. While on death row he met, married and later divorced 21yr old Leigha Jurasik:

Then last year marries 32yr old Lea Rodgers ("Lea"'s appear to be drawn to him):

Seriously though concerns should be how 2 separate juries and an appeals board all found him guilty given the only real evidence was testimony from an admitted meth addict who was avoiding the death penalty by saying Gossip asked him to do it.

Donnie Iris - Ah! Leah! (Official Music Video) on Make a GIF

Of course, with Julius Jones' case, the legislature didn't hire a BigLaw firm to investigate similarly problematic actions from prosecutors, didn't have Republican law makers and the state Attorney General arguing for release or at least commutation, and when Gov. Shitt saved his life, he made sure to say that he would never be released, and only commuted the execution by essentially saying it was because all the angry blacks might riot and vandalize a poor CVS somewhere. I don't know enough to say that either are likely guilty or innocent, but both had major problems from the prosecutors working the case, and there is enough possibility of innocence that we shouldn't be killing them. It's why I'm against the death penalty in general, although I'm against it even for clearly guilty people for other reasons. I doubt the governor gets to this one, he's too busy saving kids from the sexual groomers on Sesame Street and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. He's also fighting lawmakers in his own party, mostly from rural areas, who are against his school voucher plan, and he would gladly let a man die to spite other republican lawmakers who dare to defy his redistribution of wealth to private school parents. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

The US Supreme Court on Friday put on hold the execution of Richard Glossip, an Oklahoma death row inmate whose capital conviction the state attorney general has said he could no longer support.

The latest round of litigation was brought to the Supreme Court by Glossip, with the support of the Oklahoma Attorney’s General office, who asked for his May 18 execution to be set aside. 

The emergency hold on his execution will stay in place while the justices consider his request that they formally take up his case.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/05/politics/glossip-supreme-court-kavanaugh/index.html

• Hook 'Em 4

On 5/3/2023 at 4:53 PM, 'stache said:

Of course, with Julius Jones' case, the legislature didn't hire a BigLaw firm to investigate similarly problematic actions from prosecutors, didn't have Republican law makers and the state Attorney General arguing for release or at least commutation, and when Gov. Shitt saved his life, he made sure to say that he would never be released, and only commuted the execution by essentially saying it was because all the angry blacks might riot and vandalize a poor CVS somewhere. I don't know enough to say that either are likely guilty or innocent, but both had major problems from the prosecutors working the case, and there is enough possibility of innocence that we shouldn't be killing them. It's why I'm against the death penalty in general, although I'm against it even for clearly guilty people for other reasons. I doubt the governor gets to this one, he's too busy saving kids from the sexual groomers on Sesame Street and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. He's also fighting lawmakers in his own party, mostly from rural areas, who are against his school voucher plan, and he would gladly let a man die to spite other republican lawmakers who dare to defy his redistribution of wealth to private school parents. 

Julius Jones is guilty as can be. However, he probably deserves a new trial. There’s legit no evidence that Glossip had anything to do with the murder other than the confessed killer’s now retracted implication. Glossip has survived the needle by minutes several times. Hopefully, he’ll get a new trial. 

In Texas, I’m ready for Blaine Milam to get his sentence carried out. I can’t even read the facts of that case without getting sick to my stomach.  

On 5/3/2023 at 2:55 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'd give them non-lethal injections.