SURLY ROAD TRIP 2023: Tuscaloosa - Texas at Alabama, Sept. 9

LonghornSean

Texas football's first trip to Tuscaloosa since the programs' first ever meeting way back in 1902 (a 10-0 Texas win). Hoping Ewers and Co. can get some revenge from last year (UT now 7-2-1 all time in the series). The final SEC non-conference game for UT, barring a matchup in the postseason. Since it won't be broadcast on FOX and Big Noon Saturday, I think we can safely assume this will be a night game with Bryant-Denny rocking.

Travel/lodging - My party of two or three is still considering some options on this trip. Drive the 12+hours or fly? Staying in Tuscaloosa or Birmingham? The choices offer a taste of our future with small-town SEC conference visits. Lodging options are looking slim in Tuscaloosa if you want anything remotely decent or reasonably priced. Are there enough friends of Surly staying in Birmingham that some kind of party bus or shuttle could be arranged?

Tickets - For those trying to get tickets through LHF, will Bama provide UT with any lower level seats per SEC policy, or will they try to repay us for the "disrespect" of forcing their band to miss the trip to Austin by placing them in the upper deck? Traditionally, visitor sections at Bryant Denny have been lower level corner sections NN, lower half of MM and LL, and the back half of upper level sections NN3-NN12 and SS6-SS13 in the endzones. https://www.rateyourseats.com/bryant-denny-stadium/seating/visitor-section

And the really important question, what bar are we taking over on Saturday?

image.png.324bf6ddb51aab19a76668264102cbf2.png

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2

• LonghornSean changed the title to SURLY ROAD TRIP 2023: Tuscaloosa - Texas at Alabama, Sept. 9
49 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I missed it. Why is this the case and what prevents CBS from picking it up at 230?

Fox doesn’t have the rights since it’s an SEC home game and they don’t broadcast the SEC.

Not sure if there’s a “draft” between CBS/ESPN to pick games like there is with Fox/ESPN (that’s how Fox got Bama/UT last year).

So I suppose it’s still possible CBS could get it for 2:30, however 2023 is the first year of their Big 10 deal and they typically don’t start SEC on CBS until week 3, so could see them having some Big 10 game there, leaving UT/Bama to ESPN.

• Hook 'Em 1

I live in Nashville and my wife went to Bama, so I have been to several Bama home games over the last 11 years. We've stayed in Tuscaloosa a few times, and we've also stayed in Birmingham a few times. Both options have their pros and cons, and I'd say it really just boils down to what type of gameday experience you're looking for. 

• Staying in Tuscaloosa: this is definitely the move if you're wanting to experience a full day of tailgating and then hit the bar scene after the game is over. I highly recommend this, because it's a blast.  I would recommend getting there on Friday afternoon/evening and leaving on Sunday morning. Traffic in and out of Tuscaloosa is an absolute nightmare before and after the game, so it's best to just avoid that if you can. 
  • Staying in Birmingham: Birmingham obviously has a lot more places to stay; so it's an easier trip to book. There are several charter shuttle services that run from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa a few hours before the game, and then they bring you back shortly after the game. There are several available, and I'm honestly not sure which one is the best, but if you google Tuscaloosa gameday shuttles you will find plenty of options. It's pretty convenient because you don't have to worry about finding parking, and you also don't have to worry about having a sober driver. Some of the bus services even provide food on the way there and the way back; and they'll let you drink during the trip. We did one of these a few years ago and it was pretty fun. The downside to this options is you miss out on the tailgating and the post-game bar scene. If you want to stay in Birmingham and enjoy the full gameday experience, the best move is to drive over early in the morning to avoid pregame traffic, then tailgate all day, and then hit the bars for an hour or two after the game and let the traffic die down before driving back to Birmingham. The key there is just making sure someone in your group will be sober enough to drive you back; which is definitely going to be tricky after we beat them 35-17. 
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

I live in Nashville and my wife went to Bama, so I have been to several Bama home games over the last 11 years. We've stayed in Tuscaloosa a few times, and we've also stayed in Birmingham a few times. Both options have their pros and cons, and I'd say it really just boils down to what type of gameday experience you're looking for. 

• Staying in Tuscaloosa: this is definitely the move if you're wanting to experience a full day of tailgating and then hit the bar scene after the game is over. I highly recommend this, because it's a blast.  I would recommend getting there on Friday afternoon/evening and leaving on Sunday morning. Traffic in and out of Tuscaloosa is an absolute nightmare before and after the game, so it's best to just avoid that if you can. 
  • Staying in Birmingham: Birmingham obviously has a lot more places to stay; so it's an easier trip to book. There are several charter shuttle services that run from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa a few hours before the game, and then they bring you back shortly after the game. There are several available, and I'm honestly not sure which one is the best, but if you google Tuscaloosa gameday shuttles you will find plenty of options. It's pretty convenient because you don't have to worry about finding parking, and you also don't have to worry about having a sober driver. Some of the bus services even provide food on the way there and the way back; and they'll let you drink during the trip. We did one of these a few years ago and it was pretty fun. The downside to this options is you miss out on the tailgating and the post-game bar scene. If you want to stay in Birmingham and enjoy the full gameday experience, the best move is to drive over early in the morning to avoid pregame traffic, then tailgate all day, and then hit the bars for an hour or two after the game and let the traffic die down before driving back to Birmingham. The key there is just making sure someone in your group will be sober enough to drive you back; which is definitely going to be tricky after we beat them 35-17. 

Is this your wife?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Tuscaloosa native here and a college football fan since before dirt.

If you have time for it, this place (link below) offers an interesting experience which doesn’t involve drunks or barbecue, NTTAWWT.

Moundville (15 minutes down AL 69 from Tuscaloosa) is a Mississipian mound complex, major mojo 1,000 years ago. The place has a strong vibe and a decent museum.

Descendants of the mound builders  and their advocates shut down the UA museum a few years back until more respectful exhibitions replaced skulls and bones. Worth a look for a change of pace anyway.

Hope the game is good as last year minus the injuries and controversial non-calls but with the same result. Horns are still 5 up on my guys and we need to get even before I croak. We are hurting at QB.

Moundville Archaeological Park – University of Alabama Museums

• Hook 'Em 2

I was planning on renting an RV and hosting a tailgate from said RV. Still need to figure out a few details. There is one RV available that I found a while back that would do the trick. 

@RGBIII and @Tex48 seem in. Need a driver and can take 3 more. It's a 42 footer recent model that MSRP in the 7 figure range. Has bunk beds, 2 fold outs and the king master. Sleeps 6 very comfortably. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, immamac said:

I was planning on renting an RV and hosting a tailgate from said RV. Still need to figure out a few details. There is one RV available that I found a while back that would do the trick. 

@RGBIII and @Tex48 seem in. Need a driver and can take 3 more. It's a 42 footer recent model that MSRP in the 7 figure range. Has bunk beds, 2 fold outs and the king master. Sleeps 6 very comfortably. 

I will be there with margaritas (that we will promptly spill on the floor and not clean)

I got a room like 20 minutes from the stadium for Friday and Saturday night.. Will be staying Sunday night in Birmingham.  I was thinking about driving but I'll fly into Birmingham and rent a car instead.. 

Rooms have been booked and paid for.. Worried about the tickets.. Last I looked lower bowl started at $870 

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Fayetteville-police-asking-for-help-in-i

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, immamac said:

tumblr_mdryehnp201qcozlpo5_250.gif

Two bunks plus two foldouts plus 1 king means someone is sleeping with immamac. 

Edited by Vertigo

22 hours ago, immamac said:

A bunch of middle aged men on the internet sleeping together in 1 vehicle is not sketch at all

On 5/7/2023 at 6:58 AM, Bama Llama said:

If you have time for it, this place (link below) offers an interesting experience which doesn’t involve drunks or barbecue, NTTAWWT.

Moundville (15 minutes down AL 69 from Tuscaloosa) is a Mississipian mound complex, major mojo 1,000 years ago. The place has a strong vibe and a decent museum.

Descendants of the mound builders  and their advocates shut down the UA museum a few years back until more respectful exhibitions replaced skulls and bones. Worth a look for a change of pace anyway.

Hope the game is good as last year minus the injuries and controversial non-calls but with the same result. Horns are still 5 up on my guys and we need to get even before I croak. We are hurting at QB.

How have I lived this long without knowing there is a Mississippi mud mound with major mojo in Moundville? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bijan’s debut is a home game in Atlanta vs the Panthers and Bryce Young (exactly one year after the two played each other in Austin). 1pm eastern the day after the Bama game and three hours from Tuscaloosa. Only two for those staying in Birmingham.

As someone who has never been to or really had the urge to attend an NFL game before, think I have to make this my first. Can’t pass up such a golden opportunity to have seen Bijan’s UT and pro openers.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:44 AM, Cairn Horn88 said:

This may be the most expensive game of the year…..till playoffs.

I wonder if it's worth the gamble on waiting to buy tickets the week of... I got burned a couple years ago by buying the Arkansas tickets in April.. the week of the game they were half of what I paid (Lower Bowl, 15 yard line, UT side)

Last year my buddy bought the Bama tickets in the North EZ upper deck.. prices didn't come down much (bought them 3 weeks til the game).

I really want lower bowl tickets.. but i don't want to pay 900 plus.. was hoping to settle around $600 the most :( 

Edited by Thiefery

On 5/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, immamac said:

immamac.png

On 5/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, immamac said:

Is a C license required for an RV?

It's an easy straight shot interstate drive, but the highways in MS are third world grade. Hope the RV has good shocks and suspension.

My car was practically brand new when I drove through, and thought it was going to shake apart.

On 5/7/2023 at 5:58 AM, Bama Llama said:

I hope they don't mind the newly added 'Skull Fucking Exhibit' that we are gonna give them. It's ok, I can say it. I'm part Indian.

I'll be watching from a bar in Jackson Hole. Give'em hell guys.

Is a C license required for an RV?
It's an easy straight shot interstate drive, but the highways in MS are third world grade. Hope the RV has good shocks and suspension.
My car was practically brand new when I drove through, and thought it was going to shake apart.
In Florida you don't need a C license but every state has different rules or it depends on its weight.

About roads, Louisiana says hi.

23 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

In Florida you don't need a C license but every state has different rules or it depends on its weight.

About roads, Louisiana says hi.

LA roads are shit but MS takes it to another level. There are no signs or markings of any kind at frontage road intersections and off/on ramps.

You just have to Leroy Jenkins that shit.

• 3 weeks later...

More about Archibald's. Today's AL.com ranked it #1 best BBQ in Alabama (article appears below). Well worth a visit when Horns came to Tuscaloosa.

Archibald's Bar-B-Q in Northport, Ala.

The late George and Betty Archibald opened Archibald's Bar-B-Q in their Northport neighborhood in 1962.(Bob Carlton/bcarlton@al.com)

1. Archibald’s Bar-B-Q

1211 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. in Northport. archibaldbbq.com

Archibald’s, as we have said before, is the hallowed ground of holy smoke, the Wrigley Field of rib joints, and a pilgrimage to this modest, soot-scorched, cinderblock shrine should be a must on any barbecue lover’s bucket list. During basketball season, we make that trip at least a half-dozen times or so for our pre-game meals. Archibald’s is revered for its ribs, which are grilled over a bed of hot hickory coals in a well-seasoned brick pit that’s right behind the front counter, so guests get a front-row seat to watch the Archibald’s pitmasters in action. In recent years, they’ve added a screened porch to accommodate the overflow crowd (a good thing) and expanded the menu to include hot wings (highly recommended) and even fried catfish. Otherwise, not a lot has changed since the late George and Betty Archibald opened the place behind their home in Northport in 1962. Woodrow Washington III, their grandson, continues their legacy with the help of his siblings Lashawn, Reginald and Dalvin. (Washington also opened a second location, Archibald & Woodrow’s BBQ, on Greensboro Avenue in Tuscaloosa in 2002.)

Order this: To get the true experience, we recommend the mixed plate, which comes with four or five big and meaty ribs, an ample serving of sliced pork, several slices of white bread and a small Styrofoam cup of Archibald’s atomic-orange barbecue sauce. For the full effect, wash it all down with an ice-cold Grapico.

MORE: A quick history of Archibald’s Bar-B-Q

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...