TV Over Fireplace?

I don't really care about the aesthetics either way, but I have never cared for this idea because to me, the tv is too high, and I don't really like the idea of having it over a burning fireplace, even if it won't be lit 90% of the time.

Am I rational?  How high is too high?  There are currently no plugs/jacks in the fireplace, how big an obstacle is this?

This is, rather obviously, something to appease the wife.  I am, obviously, entertaining the notion.

IMG_20230327_081515252.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

To each their own but I find the tv better positioned when the mid point of the tv, or slightly lower, is at eye level.  Even with brackets that lower the tv, I’m unsure over the tv can be lowered that much from above the fireplace.  Put art work above the fireplace and the tv on the wall or on a stand.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

too high, and tacky, because the relegation of suboptimal tv placement is completely imputed by the mantle.

remove the mantle altogether.  and/or the fireplace surround.  do a flush fireplace.

Depositphotos_26311417_m.jpg

Efficient-living-room-decoration-giving-

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Where else are you going to put it in that room? Is there a suitable wall behind the picture taker?

There is space to the left of the fireplace, facing it.  Then that may imply some assymmetry of furniture.

Also, this isn't likely the main tv watching room.

I wouldn’t buy that house because of the lack of a good TV placement location. Realtors will tell you it’s a minor detail but it’s a minor detail that will piss you off 100% the time you live there.

An option to the motorized mounts posted above is there are mounts specifically for fireplaces that pull the TV down and away so it clears the mantle. That would be a last resort for me but necessary if stuck with that layout.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I thought this fad went away a long time ago?  I'd go no TV before I stuck it by the ceiling.

I don’t know. By the time I place the cabinet for the modem, router, switch, receiver, consoles, streaming boxes, and raise the TV enough to clear my center speaker, an 84” comes pretty close to an 8” ceiling. It doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me, all the more so with reclining seating. 

This is a PITA problem I've been dealing with in our house.  Your options:

1. Do nothing - find another spot.  Least expensive and most likely to create wife issues
  2. Install TV above mantle - Expensive!  Not only do you have to run power down behind the rock wall and poke it through (special wire too because it's next to the chimney flu), you probably also want to run an Ethernet cable for streaming (because wifi sucks).  Then you have to mount the TV into the rock, which means permanently destroying that nice rock wall.  Even when all that is done, as many have mentioned, you have a TV that you have to crane your neck to watch.  One place this is OK: if your kitchen it behind the couch and you're going to be standing up in the kitchen doing stuff then the TV will be eye level.
  3. Do a drop down screen + projector - probably less expensive than you think assuming you don't already have the TV to install.  Plus it tucks away nicely when you're not using it and you can retain the nice mantle + fireplace for times you're not using the TV.  Downsides: if the room gets a lot of natural light, or if you have a strong breeze in there with a big ceiling fan it might not be as good.  Also some people just don't like projectors.  This is kinda a best-of-both worlds solution.  You'll still need to run power and internet but sometimes that's easier through the ceiling if it's a single story...

There's no good solution, you're in a "choose the least-worst" situation here...gl

• Hook 'Em 1

And with #2 you’re probably also going to want an HDMI (or optical, I suppose) cable unless you’re going to wing it with the TV’s speakers. The there would be some kind of center speaker and wire somewhere. Might as well have a car you have to crank to start as listen to TV speakers. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

8 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

And with #2 you’re probably also going to want an HDMI (or optical, I suppose) cable unless you’re going to wing it with the TV’s speakers. The there would be some kind of center speaker and wire somewhere. Might as well have a car you have to crank to start as listen to TV speakers. 

The good news is that I have zero interest in HT, as a general proposition, and even less for this particular room.  But it is the living room/den, so some amount of casual tv watching will occur.

There is a mancave/study/media room that is perfectly set up for a TV/HT.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The good news is that I have zero interest in HT, as a general proposition, and even less for this particular room.  But it is the living room/den, so some amount of casual tv watching will occur.

try Samsung Frame on an “easel”

You could put it to the left of the photo, facing into the room

Samsung-The-Frame-14.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

That looks really neat, but how do you hide the wires?

You should only need 1 power cable to the wall. Wifi picks up all the streaming content. Or a little appletv mounted on the back requires only an extra power cable. 

My den is kinda similar. Assuming you will put a small seating area in front of the FP, I would put a nice slim cabinet to the right of the FP. TV and soundbar on top on a swivel stand. I would lose the mantel(looks tacked on) and put a nice oil painting above the FP.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/4/2023 at 7:31 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I don't really care about the aesthetics either way, but I have never cared for this idea because to me, the tv is too high, and I don't really like the idea of having it over a burning fireplace, even if it won't be lit 90% of the time.

Am I rational?  How high is too high?  There are currently no plugs/jacks in the fireplace, how big an obstacle is this?

This is, rather obviously, something to appease the wife.  I am, obviously, entertaining the notion.

IMG_20230327_081515252.jpg

Don't do it unless you hate your neck and the neck of everyone that will ever be at your house. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 6:53 AM, CooterBrown said:

Realtors will tell you it’s a minor detail but it’s a minor detail that will piss you off 100% the time you live there.

When I was selling my old house, the "staging expert" my wife knew told us we should take out the TV in the living room to "make it look better. No one wants a TV in the living room". I reminded her that we were still living there and would like to watch TV, so I declined her advice. Do these morons think that no one in America watches TV? Like a prospective buyer would turn down my house because there was a TV in the living room?

This woman also said I should swap my bedroom around 180 degrees but could give me no reason when I asked what this would accomplish. Thank God we didn't pay her anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I knew the answer on this, but wanted to check my head.

The pull-out, swivel mounts were something I wasn't aware of and I think they probably provide the answer.

There is a good 8-10 feet of wall to the left of the fireplace, and what you see to the right.  It is my understanding that the sellers had the TV to the left, possibly in the corner.

With the pull-out, swivel mount, now going to the right or left seems a valid possibility, with a less than giant TV.  Right may actually be preferable because that puts it squarely in view of the kitchen (when flat against the wall), which is open but offset relative to this family room or den or whatever.  But I sense that that may be aesthetically off.

And, as mentioned, this TV is probably going to be used mostly for very casual watching while cooking, etc.  Theres a media room/mancave that is well set up for a big TV and whatever home entertainment we decide on for serious TV watching like games, movies, etc.