What your favorite “Sad Dad Band” says about you

C-Man

Pearl Jam and Wilco are my two favorite bands on that list. 

The Pearl Jam one hit closer to the bone, but I appreciated the "you've never figured out your relationship with the idea of camping" which is fucking spot on for me.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The great irony for me is that Wilco is my favorite band on the list, and I'm not entirely sure I get the stereotype.  

Therefore, I am probably the stereotype.

I didn’t understand any of the stereotype until I hit the camping part and thought, “Fuck me.”  

I am disappointed that Spoon didn't get the treatment.  I mean, that's just ripe for the taking.

"Secretly enjoyed your differential equations class, but mostly studied at the campus espresso bar.  Still wear patchouli on special occasions.  Stoked about your Apple 2e find at the neighbor's garage sale.  Not happy about spending the weekend in Dallas for your daughter's Irish Dance competition."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I didn’t understand any of the stereotype until I hit the camping part and thought, “Fuck me.”  

Exactly.

I guess I got the part about the amps.  Not that I'm really an amp guy, but there are a litany of subjects that my kids' friends will eventually learn not to get me started on.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am disappointed that Spoon didn't get the treatment.  I mean, that's just ripe for the taking.

"Secretly enjoyed your differential equations class, but mostly studied at the campus espresso bar.  Still wear patchouli on special occasions.  Stoked about your Apple 2e find at the neighbor's garage sale.  Not happy about spending the weekend in Dallas for your daughter's Irish Dance competition."

The Replacements would have been a fun one.

"Really proud of the junk drawer in your garage.  Like to brag about how little you spend on cars.  You have lots of feelings, but you're from the Midwest so you bottle them up and let them rot your soul from the inside.  Your kids' friends know that you'd smoke weed with them - but only if your kid isn't around."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You play the keyboard, C-Man?

Ha! I've played one musical instrument in my life and it was piano back in elementary/middle school. I could barely find Middle C now, I bet.

Some of my all-time favorites (War on Drugs, National, Wilco, Pavement, FJM, Arcade Fire, MMJ, LCD, Pixies, R.E.M.) on this list and I see things in ALL of them that could fit me.

"Kayaks." LOL

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What about Isbell, or Sturgill, or Stapleton, or Tyler Childers?

"You mostly listen to Lynyrd Skynrd, Foghat, and Free.  You had truck testicles but eventually removed them when your wife threatened divorce.  Your bowling average is 162.  You claim meat and potatoes but secretly love cous cous.  You cry every time you rent 'Marley and Me'".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

Did someone mention camping?   Evan Dando weighed in a few years ago.

Always had a roof above me
Always paid the rent
But I've never set foot inside a tent
Can't build a fire to save my life
I lied about being the outdoor type

I've never slept out underneath the stars,
The closest that I came to that was one time my car
Broke down for an hour in the suburbs at night
Too scared to let you know you knew what you were looking for
I lied until I fit the bill god bless the great indoors
I've never owned a sleeping bag let alone a mountain bike

I can't go away with you on a rock climbing weekend
What if somethings on tv and its never shown again
Its just as well I'm not invited I'm afraid of heights

Never learned to swim can't grow a beard or even fight
  • Hook 'Em 1

"You mostly listen to Lynyrd Skynrd, Foghat, and Free.  You had truck testicles but eventually removed them when your wife threatened divorce.  Your bowling average is 162.  You claim meat and potatoes but secretly love cous cous.  You cry every time you rent 'Marley and Me'".

That’s only partially true
  • Haha 1

Lol you’re at the point where you’re making pesto more than you are eating pesto.

probably wilco for me, although a lot of these guys are in the rotation. Death Cab is more of a nostalgia listen, Bright Eyes can be although Better Oblivion Communtiy Center is great. Mountain Goats may be my runner up band to Wilco in terms of who I identify most with, although I’ve probably listened to like 10% of the catalog.

Got tix for Pearl Jam and Pixies this year. And, I’m in software development. Pixies one hits close to home.

Oh yeah, I saw Everclear a couple weeks ago. I think I’m still alive. The simulation still has me as an active character.

A list of sad dad bands without the Foo Fighters is suspect. They're the ultimate you've given up on life and buy your clothes at Costco dad rock band.

I'd guess out of that list, Pearl Jam would be my favorite but I don't recognize any output beyond Vitalogy.

Pavement would be a close second.

24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

A list of sad dad bands without the Foo Fighters is suspect. They're the ultimate you've given up on life and buy your clothes at Costco dad rock band.

I'd guess out of that list, Pearl Jam would be my favorite but I don't recognize any output beyond Vitalogy.

Pavement would be a close second.

There isn't really any sad Foo Fighters music though.  I think that was kind of a component of the list.

You're missing out on some excellent Pearl Jam too.

Edited by Al_4_ISU