Texas @ Kansas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Penciling in Jared Thomas at 1B and Guillemette or Galvan at catcher is pretty much the only thing that should be certain heading into next year.

6-3 against 1 through 5 in the conference and a losing record against 6 through 9. Maddening. Have to be able to help yourself out.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Penciling in Jared Thomas at 1B and Guillemette or Galvan at catcher is pretty much the only thing that should be certain heading into next year.

6-3 against 1 through 5 in the conference and a losing record against 6 through 9. Maddening. Have to be able to help yourself out.

What has Galvan shown you to think he can catch here?  He’s hit a couple of balls a long way and a couple of others in the gap.  

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What has Galvan shown you to think he can catch here?  He’s hit a couple of balls a long way and a couple of others in the gap.  

He’s been the second best freshman on the roster. Not a high bar but I’ve seen enough to believe he will continue to get better with time. His strikeouts are bad but that is something that tends to get better with time. His walk rate is respectable and he hits the ball hard when he does make contact. We don’t have enough guys on this roster who hit the ball hard.

His throwing behind the plate is bad but his actual receiving skills are fine. You can work on his footwork and release on steals.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thomas is obviously trending in the right direction. His overall season is not that great. His power numbers for a corner infielder are poor.

Retooling year after year with transfers is tough so not sure we want to rely on that. But there may be no choice for next year.

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Thomas is obviously trending in the right direction. His overall season is not that great. His power numbers for a corner infielder are poor.

Retooling year after year with transfers is tough so not sure we want to rely on that. But there may be no choice for next year.

I mean, we pretty much retooled with transfers this year. Or at least tried to. There are a lot of borderline draft guys in the lineup right now. Will be interesting to see play out. Would be nice to get a few of them back. My dream is they are able to get Guillemette, Brown and Powell all back for another year and we get Casey Borba on campus (one of the top HS players in California) to play 3B. Move Powell to 1B and Thomas can play the OF while his offensive profile likely fits better.

Tough to build a program nowadays where guys wait in the wings several years to take over. Transfers are just the way of the world. If you are replacing a starter with someone already on the roster then he better have already shown something or the safer is almost always getting a transfer or JUCO kid. You can roll with a talented freshman but prepare to take your lumps.

JUCO ranks is a place this staff may need to look for arms and maybe an outfielder. We’ve had good success in the past: Duke Ellis, Hibbeler, Petrinsky, Melendez, Cam Williams, Bocchi, Tristan Stevens came from a JUCO. Sure I’m missing a few or two.

Edited by Hookem2147

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

He started out real slow.   He’s only had half a season where he wasn’t lost.  He will get stronger and be a 10 HR guy in a couple of years.  No he won’t be Cash.  That was a huge fuck up.  But he’s good enough to be the 1B here.  

I get the transfer route, but the freshmen as a whole haven’t developed much. Only Thomas has you feeling that he’s a player. His production has been mediocre. College baseball has a long list of guys that contribute a great deal as freshmen so it’s not unreasonable to have expected more of them.

Freshmen pitchers. Virtually nothing from them.

There’s the question of whether these guys will develop better here or elsewhere. Flores has to question whether he’ll improve here. Belyeu might wonder if he’ll even get a chance here.

That’s two years running that production from freshmen has been limited. Is that a trend or something else?

How about one trip to the CWS for LSU while Pierce has been at Texas vs his three?   Just because they are pussies doesn't mean that you have to be one...

How about shut the fuck up about defending a below mediocre coach who will be fired.

It’s not if. But when the little fucker will be fired.

Wake me up when it happens

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

How about shut the fuck up about defending a below mediocre coach who will be fired.

Can you show us where Pierce touched you?

If you don’t like the guy then whatever but saying the dude is a below mediocre coach is just a laughably bad take. Can you give us an example of an above medicore coach using your criteria?

Edited by Hookem2147

37 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I was wrong, I apologize.  I guess you do have to be a pussy about this.

After tonight, i believe Daly is now officially the worst hitter in the conference. He's sporting a .129 BA and .469 OPS. But he's "slugging" a robust .226.

In 72 conference plate appearances, he's walked 10 times and has 8 base hits (5 singles, a double, a triple, and a homer.) 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Last night, did I hear the broadcast announcers say some Texas players will miss their graduation ceremonies because this series?  

Yes. UT commencements are May 4-6 this year with the big one tonight. Teams usually do a mini one on the road for their graduates. 

RPI honestly didn’t fall as much as I thought, down a few spots to 30. 

Also, how about Cal State Fullerton? 17-4 in the Big West, top 40 RPI, just won at TCU last night. Wouldn’t it be nice to have that series in our back pocket right now. 

TCU, Tech and KSU all back to back to back at 57, 58, 59. Would be nice if one of them jumped into the top 50 to give us more Q1 wins.

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Big 12 objectively worse than last year, worse than Pac 12.  Talent is not flowing in at a very high rate. 

.5556 conference RPI for the Big 12 last compared to .5549 this year, so yes the metrics back that up.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Congratulations to any grads on the team.

@HenryJames posted in the Texas Baseball thread.

https://texassports.com/news/2023/5/4/t-association-ut-athletics-announces-2023-spring-commencement-participants.aspx

Constantine, Lummus, Walbridge, Brown, Carlson, Duplantier, and Morehouse all graduated or will graduate by the summer. Former players Cole Quintanilla and Cameron Rupp will as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HuntinHorn said:

Coin flip. Continue being productive with my home remodel project TD or take a break in the heat of the day and get kicked in the nuts for a few hours. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment.

I was about to ask if anyone else kind of hates themselves for sitting down and watching this 

You don't just stroll into Hoglund and expect to hit Hunter Cashero. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Thomas with a single on the first pitch 

Powell with deja vu 398-foot fly out

Thomas picked off first, but being reviewed 

Edited by zlavydra

Texas terrestrial radio broadcast 104.9 & 101.9 FM & 1260 AM in the Austin area is Off-The-Air/Dead.

Internet stream of Longhorns radio broadcast works, however: https://texassports.com/sports/2014/11/19/GEN_1119144623.aspx

Craig Way is much better than those Abominations on the ESPN+/ESPNNow/DisneyWhateverTheFuck video stream.