Help me pick a mountain bike

My 27 YO Trek 6500 has finally bit the bullet, and I'm in the market for something new.

I'd like to get something local so I can get it before the weekend. It doesn't need to be anything hardcore since I'm primarily riding at the regional park with gravel and a few bumps. The local REI and Trek stores have the following:

1. Cannondale Trail 6   - $650
  2. Co-Op DRT 1.2   - $700
  3. GT Avalanche Sport   - $720
  4. GT Aggressor Export   - $650
  5. Trek Marlin 6   - $750

I'm pretty much just looking at these since they don't cost an arm and a leg, I can get it locally, and it doesn't need to be remotely hardcore.  Any on the list you think stands out over the others?

Co-op’s are still Giants, IIRC.

At that price point, all the frames will be similar. There’s only like 2 frame manufacturers anyway so they’re all made on the same line to nearly identical specs. Get fitted at a shop so you get the correct size. Compare components and go with the one with the better cassette, shifters, and brakes. I’d personally go with the fewest gears. I like 1x10-12.

33 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Co-op’s are still Giants, IIRC.

At that price point, all the frames will be similar. There’s only like 2 frame manufacturers anyway so they’re all made on the same line to nearly identical specs. Get fitted at a shop so you get the correct size. Compare components and go with the one with the better cassette, shifters, and brakes. I’d personally go with the fewest gears. I like 1x10-12.

If you think you might ever want to up your game and ride some more serious trails, the Trek Roscoe 6 still has a crappy coil fork, but everything about the frame is modern standards compliant and will permit gradual upgrading to a much more serious bike.

Then again, I don't think you're a poor on a tight budget, so if you want a more serious bike later on, just buy it.

I would also look at your local craigslist for similar or better bikes.  Everyone overbought during Covid and a lot of shit is for sale.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Just spend an arm and a leg and be cool like the rest of us.

I have always been skeptical of the arms race that is mens hobbies and sports and that truly includes MTB, where you can easily drop $5k or even $10k on a bike.

But, got damn if I didn't double my budget and find a bike that really really suits me.  Its geo is quite similar to my old bike, components are a tad better, but nothing fancy or high dollar.  It does have a patented frame/linkage/suspension though, and I think that's the biggest thing, and that's as much a function of the trails I have to ride and my riding style as anything else.

I remain skeptical that I can improve much on my current bike by spending more money.  I'll upgrade some parts here and there as they wear, but that's about it.

I have an 18 year old Trek 4300 that is still humming along.  I've had to replace a few things but nothing major.  The biggest drawback to it is the frame size and weight.   You can't go wrong with any of the bikes your looking at but Trek makes good stuff.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:29 PM, Macanudo said:

I have an 18 year old Trek 4300 that is still humming along.  I've had to replace a few things but nothing major.  The biggest drawback to it is the frame size and weight.   You can't go wrong with any of the bikes your looking at but Trek makes good stuff.

My memory is fuzzy, but the Trek I referenced in the OP was probably 22 years old, not 27.

The frame was still solid, but there was something wrong with the shifters. I could click up to the next gear without a hitch, but if I wanted to downshift, I would have to pump it at least 5 times to get the proper cable tension. The bike shop where I got it services said I'd have to live with it, which I didn't want to do.

I just sold it on FB Marketplace for $75. Probably should have raised the price since 40+ people were interested (even after my I made it crystal clear there was a mechanical issue).

This is what I'm getting instead. Trek Marlin 6 in burnt orange. Have to drive an hour away to get the color/size, but I'm stoked.

Trek Marlin 6 Gen 2, MD, Factory Orange– Sunshine Bicycle Center

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/9/2023 at 3:20 PM, Gil Bang said:

Ditch the big chain stores and go to Rock N' Road; Woodbury area.

Ah.. didn't see your post. They specialize in Specializeds. 

In the end, it was down to the Cannondale Trail 5 or the Trek. All things being equal, it was the burnt orange color that won out.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I asked this distinguished group a few years ago what to buy, and ended up with the Cannondale Trail 5. It’s been great. Bought my wife a 3. 

The Cannondale Trail 5 gets a lot of great reviews and was at the top of my list for a few days. They were dinged a bit for having exposed cables, but I wouldn't have noticed.

The Trek is supposed to be more rugged in case I ever ride some tougher trails (which my body, at 48, strenuously objects to). Both are in the top 10 for bikes under $1000, so I went with the one which looked the coolest.