The best shots in the history of Golf

On 5/9/2023 at 12:20 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Anybody know of a better shot than this one?

If I recall, wasn’t this the par 3 exhibition? If so, then no it is not the greatest shot in golf history. Not even in the top 1,000 of shots. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I am too lazy to look up and see if there are videos, but here are two that are in contention, from the same hole

A) Jacks one iron at 17 at Pebble Beach

B) Tim Watson's chipping and 17 at Pebble Beach

I think both were in US opens, I'm not certain of that though

A is the correct answer. Most people have no idea how darn good that shot was. As background - final round of US Open and slim lead. The wind is absolutely crazy off the ocean. He hits the pin and 2 inches away to seal the Open

• Hook 'Em 2

In addition to those mentioned, I'll add Bubba Watson's second shot after his first went waaaaay back in the trees, in a playoff, at The Masters, with his first major on the line.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

One the subject of shots to win Open - almost no one remembers Jerry Pate's approach. they might remember his pants however

also the shot by Pavin on 18 to clinch the Open gets mentioned but he did miss the putt

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2023 at 10:16 AM, ztejas said:

Are we talking about exhibition trick shots or actual, meaningful shots in majors? I'd only consider the latter under the basic qualifier of "best golf shots ever".

Meh, that same shot by Tiger was done by DL3 earlier that same day. Everyone always seems to forget that. And on Sunday that pin placement is always there to add some drama to the hole. 

12 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

Meh, that same shot by Tiger was done by DL3 earlier that same day. Everyone always seems to forget that. And on Sunday that pin placement is always there to add some drama to the hole. 

Apparently "earlier that same day" = 6 years prior in a Masters that Love didn't win. 

Sorry Tiger fucked your wife. 

2 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

Please forgive me oh master all-knowing fuckface. Now get back on your meds and stop overreacting

You actually thought Love hit that chip in 2005. How fucking stupid are you. Maybe you should be on some meds.

Like it even matters. The Love chip was amazing. So was the Tiger one. Difference being Tiger needed it to force a playoff and then win that shit. Hence why it's maybe the most famous shot of all time you luddite.

Edited by ztejas

Not a major and definitely much lower stakes, but in terms of just pure execution, I've always been a fan of Tiger's massive fade from the fairway bunker at WGC Mexico

And just for the "how the fuck..." factor, Spieth's vertical takeoff in the Ryder Cup is always fun to watch

Edited by TheBryMan81