Led Zeppelin

Deej

Tapa is being weird with post editing so I had to make another post, but...

For those not aware, the vinyl release had 6 different variants of the outer jacket, each viewing the man at the bar from a different patron’s perspective. Mine is variant “E”. They also had an inner sleeve illustration that was printed on paper that would change color when water was applied.

70dc45a9e7eabbe494741efecf825e03.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grandioso said:

BTW - Reliable research is showing that the head is a Dallas Arbiter Power 100.

67ArbiterFront.jpg

Not sure what kind of cab it's sitting on. The weird Jetsons-looking monolith on the right is a Rickenbacker Transonic TS202 cab.

knswb2gy42o7lsxduywf.jpg

So now I'll know what to avoid. :|

Great song  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_Riverside_Blues

"Travelling Riverside Blues" can be found on disc one of the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (1990), the Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions (1997), the expanded 1993 reissue of Coda from The Complete Studio Recordings and Led Zeppelin Definitive Collection (2008) box sets, and disc one of the two companion discs of the 2015 reissue of Coda.

It was interest from US radio interviewers and fans during Page's Outrider tour that originally led him to negotiate with BBC Enterprises for the song's release.[2] A promotional video clip was also released in 1990, with out-take footage from the band's 1976 concert film, The Song Remains the Same inter-spliced with other footage from the band's archive. The clip also features a railroad montage, and underwater shots of the Mississippi River. The song reached number seven on the Billboard Top Rock Tracks Top 50 chart in November 1990, culled from national album rock radio airplay reports.[2]

I think Robert Plant turned 70 today.

Edited by retread

10 hours ago, Deej said:

The first boxed set came out 28 years ago? Damn...I remember getting so excited about that. 

I loaned it to a secretary of a local law firm for sex then took it back and loaned to to a court reporter, for even more sex.  Who'd have thought LZ was such a panty dropper and that I once had some semblance of game

I bought mine at 13 Records on Fry Street in Denton.  That place was great.  Haven't made it down to it's new 14 Records spot on Garland Road, but I'll get there.

Did not know about this place. Looks cool. Small, but with good selection.

Speaking of Denton though, I went to Recycled Books on the square there last weekend. Great place, good record selection.

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

Did not know about this place. Looks cool. Small, but with good selection.

The guy who runs it, Big Bucks Burnett, is kind of a local Dallas/Denton treasure.  He's run various record shops for a long time, but also periodically does fun stuff like, say, open up a Museum of the 8-Track Tape in downtown.  Or throw a Tiny Tim appreciation festival, etc. 

I'm going to have to drop by and get some stuff just to fund the continued idiosyncrasies. 

Not a video, but a live recording.

Yeah, that recording is one of possibly two times that "unplayable" song was played live. Were a video of either performances to surface it would change the direction of the Earth's rotation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 8/25/2018 at 1:16 AM, BoomMF said:

Yeah, that recording is one of possibly two times that "unplayable" song was played live. Were a video of either performances to surface it would change the direction of the Earth's rotation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Educate me about the "unplayable" thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross posting from the vinyl thread.

Some of you may know about the Robert Ludwig cut of Led Zeppelin II. It was a “hot” master (ordered this way by Eddie Kramer), and was originally issued and produced this way.

Ahmet Ertegun (Co-founder and president of Atlantic), brought home a copy and it skipped on his daughters record player, so he ordered it to be remastered.

These first press RL cuts are pretty sought after, and they go for about $80-100 on average on Discogs.

Today, I found one for $4. It was a little beat up, and it is a copy that has a Lee Hulko master on side two (even though it is the same master as the RL cut), but man, what a score. The bass is incredible!

On 9/10/2018 at 12:02 PM, Noah Fence said:

The drum track required Bonham to play with four drumsticks.  The band had a hell of time getting it right in the studio.

I think it had more to do with the unusual time signature.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/the-40-greatest-led-zeppelin-songs-of-all-time-154694/four-sticks-1971-164057/

Page built this exotic song around a series of needle-stick guitar salvos, but because the meter shifts from 5/8 to 6/8, Zeppelin found it difficult to record and almost ditched it. Then Bonham came into the studio after spending some time in a pub and nailed it, holding two drumsticks in each hand (hence the song's title).

I don't think the use of four drumsticks was required, but it added to the unique sound of the track.

Edited by Art Vandelay

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Another interesting tidbit on Four Sticks...Bonham's frustration at not being able to nail the drumming on that track led him to launch into the drum intro of a Little Richard song while the tapes were still rolling. Page immediately started playing a riff to it, and the song "Rock 'n Roll" was born.

Never knew that, that's pretty awesome.  Even more incredible Page created an incredible original riff on the fly (only halfway joking).

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Forum show from the same 77 tour as the Seattle one above.  No video, but the sound is a little better.  

Arguably one of the best sounding Zep bootlegs, ever. First night of a six night stand at the Forum. The title is directed at Eddie Van Halen, who had been talking a bunch of shit about Jimmy's playing.