Led Zeppelin

Deej

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm not sure if it's a controversial opinion in here (I've found it to be elsewhere), but "Hey Hey What Can I Do" is probably my favorite Zep song.  I'm not saying it's the greatest.  It's just the one that I will put on a jukebox in any situation and in any crowd.

It's probably in my top 10.  Absolute banger.

No wrong answers here IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

This is the way I look a the stones and zeppelin.  music really changed in 1967 with Hendrix Are You Exprienced and Sgt Peppers(yes I know Beatles pioneered a bit before that).  The Album format really came into its own.

zeppelin from 68-1982 8 albums + Coda

stones from 68-1981 - 10 albums beggars, let it bleed, exile, sticky fingers, goats head soup, IORR, Black and blue, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You

zep wins because its really hard to pick out truly bad songs/filler while the stones had some real clunker songs.  But, when looking at the prime its reasonably close.

Page/Plant would have likely gone on to have a decent run after Coda, and not fallen off as much as the stones did post TY, but after Plant's first 2 solo and a bit of Page/Firm even they fell off.

Zep was undeniably more consistent, but the Stones 4 album run of Beggars through Exile is the absolute pinnacle of rock music.  It will not be touched.  It has never been touched.  It undeniably influenced EVERYTHING that came after it.  I will die on this motherfucking hill.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's hard to really do a top 5. It's always depending on mood, situation etc... Similar to bands, I could never really have a top 5 ranking. I think it's more tiers or groupings.

My first band did Hey Hey so that one always has a sentimental value to me. Good Times Bad Times, Out on the Tiles, Nobodies Fault but Mine, In the Evening all right at the top for me too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

It's hard to really do a top 5. It's always depending on mood, situation etc... Similar to bands, I could never really have a top 5 ranking. I think it's more tiers or groupings.

My first band did Hey Hey so that one always has a sentimental value to me. Good Times Bad Times, Out on the Tiles, Nobodies Fault but Mine, In the Evening all right at the top for me too.

My top 5 is definitely fluid depending on my headspace.

Ohhh, good calls on Out on the Tiles and Nobodies Fault but Mine!

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

This is the way I look a the stones and zeppelin.  music really changed in 1967 with Hendrix Are You Exprienced and Sgt Peppers(yes I know Beatles pioneered a bit before that).  The Album format really came into its own.

zeppelin from 68-1982 8 albums + Coda

stones from 68-1981 - 10 albums beggars, let it bleed, exile, sticky fingers, goats head soup, IORR, Black and blue, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You

zep wins because its really hard to pick out truly bad songs/filler while the stones had some real clunker songs.  But, when looking at the prime its reasonably close.

Page/Plant would have likely gone on to have a decent run after Coda, and not fallen off as much as the stones did post TY, but after Plant's first 2 solo and a bit of Page/Firm even they fell off.

Coda was just stuff they had in the can that didn't make it on to the other albums. The had to release the last album to fulfill the contract after Bonham died. What is remarkable to me is how few outakes they had. They didn't have a whole lot that didn't make the cut. Most of the "new" stuff on the re-releases this last time was just different takes. They were efficient in the studio.

• Like 1

Presence is a severely underrated album. So many people thing its at the bottom of their catalog, but damn that album straight up rocks. Page's guitars are brutal on that thing. 

It's dark and menacing.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Presence is a severely underrated album. So many people thing its at the bottom of their catalog, but damn that album straight up rocks. Page's guitars are brutal on that thing. 

It's dark and menacing.

I have somehow not heard this entire album before.  It does have a little bit more edge - Page seems pissed off.

Just now, The Royal We said:

I have somehow not heard this entire album before.  It does have a little bit more edge - Page seems pissed off.

They were going through some dark times. Page's heroin addiction was raging. Plant was in a wheelchair after his car accident.

They knocked it out in the studio in about two weeks. 

Six of the seven songs on the album are Page and Plant compositions; the remaining song, "Royal Orleans", is credited to all four band members. This is because the majority of the songs were formulated at Malibu, where Page (but not Bonham and Jones) had initially joined a recuperating Plant. With Plant at less than full fitness, Page took responsibility for the album's completion, and his playing dominates the album's tracks.[5]

Both Page and Plant had planned this album's recording session as a return to hard rock, much like their debut album, except at a new level of complexity. It marked a change in the Led Zeppelin sound towards more straightforward, guitar-based jams. Whereas their previous albums up to and including the previous year's Physical Graffiti contain electric hard rock anthems balanced with acoustic ballads and intricate arrangements, Presence was seen to include more simplified riffs, and is Led Zeppelin's only studio album that features no keyboards,[5] and with the exception of a rhythm track on "Candy Store Rock", no acoustic guitar.[13] The changed stylistic emphasis on this album was a direct result of the troubled circumstances experienced by the band around the time of its recording. Page later said the music came from this spontaneity.[5] Plant later described it as "a cry of survival" and speculated the group would not make another album like it.[14]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd say the Stones straight up made some incredible country music.  Nothing "amusing" about Wild Horses, Dead Flowers, Let It Bleed, etc.

Wild Horses I agree with you here.

But if you think Dead Flowers is a straight forward, no tongue in cheek country song, I'm not sure where else I can go with that.  Let It Bleed I wouldn't consider country at all.  

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

But if you think Dead Flowers is a straight forward, no tongue in cheek country song, I'm not sure where else I can go with that.  Let It Bleed I wouldn't consider country at all.  

I wouldn't say Dead Flowers is tongue in cheek so much as biting and accusatory. I also think Townes cover version actually more accurately captures the songs essence, Mick is just too Mick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Deej said:

They were going through some dark times. Page's heroin addiction was raging. Plant was in a wheelchair after his car accident.

They knocked it out in the studio in about two weeks. 

Which stands to reason, since Page was a studio musician freak before Led Zeppelin ever formed.  Its cool every once in awhile I find some old track that has some guitar on it that I think is cool, I look into it a little and find out its Jimmy Page from back in his session days.  Latest example:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Coda was just stuff they had in the can that didn't make it on to the other albums. The had to release the last album to fulfill the contract after Bonham died. What is remarkable to me is how few outakes they had. They didn't have a whole lot that didn't make the cut. Most of the "new" stuff on the re-releases this last time was just different takes. They were efficient in the studio.

yeah, that's why I said "+ Coda". and agree that there wasn't a lot o noodling in the studio.  I bet the stones wasted hours noodling and probably fighting...

Top 5 is def fluid but I’ll give it a shot I guess.

Since I’ve Been Loving You
Tangerine
Lemon Song
How Many More Times
In My Time Of Dying

Songs I also had to consider and kicked out:

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
You Shook Me
That’s The Way
Out On The Tiles
Good Times Bad Times

LZIII is my favorite overall, which may be odd to some.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I don't think Dead Flowers is tongue in cheek one bit.  It's bitter as hell, and Keith was absolutely into country at that time, hard.

Mick's delivery isn't country, but every single thing else about that song is.

If you just propped Merle, or Willie, or some American country artist onto the vocals for Let It Bleed, no one would bat an eye at calling that country.

49 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Top 5 is def fluid but I’ll give it a shot I guess.

Since I’ve Been Loving You
Tangerine
Lemon Song
How Many More Times
In My Time Of Dying

Songs I also had to consider and kicked out:

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
You Shook Me
That’s The Way
Out On The Tiles
Good Times Bad Times

LZIII is my favorite overall, which may be odd to some.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is strong af. Goddamn Chicago ripping people off.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

TFW Page flips the pickup selector and stomps on the footswitch in “Bring it on Home.”

tenor.gif

When Page kicks off that immortal lead riff at the harmonica fade, my old drummer’s heart just busts wide open with anticipation. I’ll always revere Ringo for his exquisite touch but for sheer mastery of the pedals, sticks, cymbals and skins, Bonzo is forever the Man in my rock soul. Jazz aficionados fuck off, I’m strictly talking blues rock and its descendants.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I have that blue Ray. Just fantastic.

It really was a super solid performance. I saw Page/Plant in 98, and while that was good I think this was a step up. Honestly probably stronger than a lot of the later Zep performances when Page was strung out and Bonzo was incoherent too.

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Agreed. Plus, Orange

cb4d4ee68cca32387bff4b8dad25763c.jpg

which never gets talked about here for some reason.

I feel like Orange had a huge renaissance in the late 90s, then kinda of slid of again. Fantastic amps though. I've been keen to try and find a Petersburg P100 at times too just to give it a whirl. As I understand it they are Hiwatt Marshall mash ups. But Page has cost me enough money lately so I need to let that one lie for a bit.

I feel like Orange had a huge renaissance in the late 90s, then kinda of slid of again. Fantastic amps though. I've been keen to try and find a Petersburg P100 at times too just to give it a whirl. As I understand it they are Hiwatt Marshall mash ups. But Page has cost me enough money lately so I need to let that one lie for a bit.

Every stoner metal band uses Orange. And the Jesus and Mary Chain.

24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Every stoner metal band uses Orange. And the Jesus and Mary Chain.

Obviously. Gotta get their Black Sabbath on even though they didn't really use them. Page mainly used it for his Theremin, not guitar

Wishbone Ash are probably my favorite Orange players, though Peter Green did for a bit too.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

I don't care what gear it would take. I'd sell my soul to play like Jimmy Page. Just like Jimmy Page did. 

One thing I saw when the Celebration Day movie came out that I never noticed before is Page practically dangles his pick. He holds it by the tippy top.

Edited by G650

19 hours ago, G650 said:

Obviously. Gotta get their Black Sabbath on even though they didn't really use them. Page mainly used it for his Theremin, not guitar

Wishbone Ash are probably my favorite Orange players, though Peter Green did for a bit too.

Marcus King as well. 

19 hours ago, G650 said:

One thing I saw when the Celebration Day movie came out that I never noticed before is Page practically dangles his pick. He holds it by the tippy top.

Had to read that twice...

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know why.  Don't care.  Don't look at the year the track was orginally recorded.  But place the myriad tracks of CODA on the other Zeppelin albums in which they best belong with the benefit of 40 years hindsight.  There's some hint towards this upthread.  And yes, obviously certain tracks are clearly outtakes from certain albums.  But for grins 'n giggles:

"We're Gonna Groove"-Led Zeppelin II

"Poor Tom"-Led Zeppelin III

"Walter's Walk"-In Through the Out Door

"Ozone Baby"-In Through the Out Door

"Darlene"-Presence 

"Bonzo's Montreaux"-Presence

"Wearing and Tearing"-Physical Graffiti