Plumbing, dishwasher, garbage disposal

My garbage disposal started leaking from the bottom so, what the hell, I’ll replace it. I’ve done it before. It’s not rocket science even if the length of my arms makes grubbing around under the sink just that much more of a pain in the ass. So I replaced it. Everything seemed peachy until I ran the dishwasher. 

The dishwasher didn’t drain. Probably not a coincidence. To start troubleshooting, I start a cycle, hit Cancel/Drain. The little air gap thing on the sink sputtered a little, but the dishwasher didn’t drain. I removed the air gap thing and thoroughly cleaned it for what may well be the first time in its existence. Started a cycle and canceled it. The dishwasher didn’t drain. 

I got a tub, put it under the sink, pulled the dishwasher drain hose loose from the Y-adapter it shares with the hose to the garbage disposal. Started a cycle and canceled it. The dishwasher drained like a champ into the tub. 

So, in a pretty straightforward system consisting of the air gap, which is connected to a Y-adapter, which is connected on one side the dishwasher drain hose and on the other side to the garbage disposal, why will the dishwasher drain if not connected to the Y but not if it is?

The Y seems fine. The only new variable is the disposal. There’s really not much to screw up there. Plugs in. Takes in water from the sink drain or, ideally, the hose from the Y-adapter, and outputs it into the pipe. 

I feel like this is my second idiotic question today, but WTF is the problem here?

Thanks…

Edited by Doc Daneeka

Reading OP again.  What the fuck?  The airgap is connected to a Y adapter?  The airgap IS a Y adapter.

Your drain line should run directly from Dishwasher to airgap, and from airgap to disposer.  No other bullshit connectors.

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Reading OP again.  What the fuck?  The airgap is connected to a Y adapter?  The airgap IS a Y adapter.

Your drain line should run directly from Dishwasher to airgap, and from airgap to disposer.  No other bullshit connectors.

Ok, the air gap fitting — the part that shows above the sink — is connected to the Y adapter. 

Solved. The hose that runs from the air gap to the disposal was chock full o’ 27 years of crap and, apparently, I screwed with it just enough during removal and replacement to constrict it enough that it was basically blocked. Pushed some paper towels and sponge fragments through it to clear it out and the dishwasher drained. 

Appreciate the help. 

On 5/9/2023 at 5:17 PM, Da Fino said:

You gotta dismantle the latch hasp from the auxiliary drainage line.

Not if the air gap manifold has its own negative pressure release, then you need a flange adapter for the positive leak preventer. 

On 5/9/2023 at 5:58 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

Solved. The hose that runs from the air gap to the disposal was chock full o’ 27 years of crap and, apparently, I screwed with it just enough during removal and replacement to constrict it enough that it was basically blocked. Pushed some paper towels and sponge fragments through it to clear it out and the dishwasher drained. 

Appreciate the help. 

Coax cable works well to clean these out without taking apart the hose as well.

Or for better time, buy a trombone brush off amazon for $9 and leave under the sink. The hose needs to be cleaned yearly at minimum.

Or for better time, buy a trombone brush off amazon for $9 and leave under the sink. The hose needs to be cleaned yearly at minimum.

That makes sense.

I already had it apart and I didn’t even think that the hose might be that gunked up until the peeps here started talking about the punch out on the disposal. It was acting kind of like that, so I figured the hose was the last thing to check.

Maintenance had been lax on the hose, but lesson learned. It’s likely the other disposal was fine but, oh well at this point. Lesson learned.

Finally, a justification for the couple hundred feet of coax I have in the attic that my wife wants me to toss!!
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1