Gas powered trimmer rec?

I've got a Troy-Bilt -- probably about a $150-175 version, bought it at Lowe's 4-5 years ago.  It's just petered out.  Can't get it to run at full speed.  Tried adjusting the carburetor, idle speed....nothing helps.  It just doesn't run well (hell, right now, after adjustments, I can't even get it to start).  So, I'm looking to replace it.  Don't need a commercial grade, but we do have a big lot that meshes into the greenbelt, so there's some thicker-than-typical-lawn cutting that needs to happen.  Need a good .95 diameter string trimmer with some real punch.

So...if my criteria are 1) will cut all that shit, well and aggressively, 2) will start and run reliably, and 3) will last me better than 4 years, and I'm looking for something in the $200-$400 range....what am I getting?

I had a Echo that shit the bed in 2021.  I looked at my needs (just under a 2 acre yard) and decided to try a DeWalt trimmer (I'm fully engrossed in the DeWalt family so my batteries would work).

It does the same job as the Echo once did, and it will use .95 string as well.  I can get 2-3 sessions before having to charge the battery.  Highly recommend that you take a look at some battery operated trimmer before you buy another gas trimmer.

Edit: Because I'm a dumbass and forgot what brand of gas trimmer I used to use.

Edit 2:  I still have a Echo edger and Echo backpack blower, both are over 10 years old; both work fine.  I'll use them as long as I can.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

I’ll second the above, if you are good with battery. Plenty of power and much less vibration. Plus no dealing with oil or gas or mixtures.  I bought ryobi  40 volt for the price point, only had it a year or so so can’t really inform on longevity. But I’d look at dewalt or Milwaukee (might be outside your price range even) if you are open to electric.  The high voltage ones, not the 12/18/20 V ones. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll second the above, if you are good with battery. Plenty of power and much less vibration. Plus no dealing with oil or gas or mixtures.  I bought ryobi  40 volt for the price point, only had it a year or so so can’t really inform on longevity. But I’d look at dewalt or Milwaukee (might be outside your price range even) if you are open to electric.  The high voltage ones, not the 12/18/20 V ones. 

Going into my 4th year with the Ryobi 40v. Highly recommend. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I've got a Troy-Bilt -- probably about a $150-175 version, bought it at Lowe's 4-5 years ago.  It's just petered out.  Can't get it to run at full speed.  Tried adjusting the carburetor, idle speed....nothing helps.  It just doesn't run well (hell, right now, after adjustments, I can't even get it to start).  So, I'm looking to replace it.  Don't need a commercial grade, but we do have a big lot that meshes into the greenbelt, so there's some thicker-than-typical-lawn cutting that needs to happen.  Need a good .95 diameter string trimmer with some real punch.

So...if my criteria are 1) will cut all that shit, well and aggressively, 2) will start and run reliably, and 3) will last me better than 4 years, and I'm looking for something in the $200-$400 range....what am I getting?

Check spark arrestor. 

Also, just for the thumbnail I said got damn bottom half  

echo, husq, or Stihl. Can’t go wrong for at least 15 years.  

• Drool 1

After years of Homelites, Troy-Bilt, and the other big box store power tools, I finally got fed up with not being able to get them worked on and started replacing everything with Stihl about 20 years ago.  Have been happy with my power tools ever since.

1 hour ago, baboso said:

After years of Homelites, Troy-Bilt, and the other big box store power tools, I finally got fed up with not being able to get them worked on and started replacing everything with Stihl about 20 years ago.  Have been happy with my power tools ever since.

Same here with echo.  When I had walmart-quality crap, by the time I'd get the shit running i'd be too tired to do the yardwork

@Gil Bang

Hope you don't mind a piggyback.  I didn't want to start a new thread.

I ordered a 58cc Badger Edger/Trimmer from Amazon last week.  I cannot get the damned thing started.  How does a return work for something that is put completely together AND has a few ounces of gas left over in the tank?  I left a msg with the corporate office to have someone call me back; however, at this point, I don't think there's anything else left that I can try.  The unit has to be faulty.  I'm just curious as to how to put something in the mail that may still smell of gas.  I feel like that's a "no-no".

Stihl Kombi.  Multiple tool attachments.  

This is what I currently have. I bought a Troy bilt 4 stroke years ago and loved it. When it died, I replaced it with a newer version. It only lasted a couple of years before it didn’t run like it should.

Bought the Stihl Kombi because I had the assorted tools with the Troy bilt.

I bought the 56v Ego trimmer from Lowes. The Ego trimmer blows away my old Echo gas trimmer for power. Their blower is awesome too. I'll never go back to gas. 

But to "echo" what someone else said, replacement carbs or carb refresh kits are cheap and easy to install if you want to hang on to gas. 

^^ This.  I have all Stihl except for my Echo chainsaw. All are 10+ years old and like mentioned above I replace the carb with Amazon Chinese carbs and they are great. 

I do have a Makita battery leaf blower that the wife likes to use, but the backpack Stihl blower crushes my battery blower.