2023 U20 World Cup

Bottlecap

Fun tournament - thought it was worth its own thread.

Originally set to be hosted by Indonesia but stripped of its hosting privileges due to protests that Isreal would be involved in the Cup.

So, FIFA moved it to Argentina, which is in a more agreeable time zone for US viewership. Looks like each group stage match will kick off at 1pm and 4pm, and the US will play each match at 1pm (all in San Juan, ARG). Even thought the U20s take place every two years, 2021 was canceled due to COVID, so this is the first in 4 years. Ukraine are the reining champs (but failed to qualify for '23).

US matches

image.png.c9aef2e20416b1924b44e3719b82f7eb.png

image.png.5ffcb944bb918660bd73b8fbfab32a76.png

image.png.32662bebabd4e2454d75848cce49cca0.png

And here is the roster that was just released. Austin FCs Owen Wolff is set to feature and may lead to some international offers post-tournament IMOI

image.thumb.png.e6b1315c4c1c29ecca4eaa416a34f432.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Edelman is the captain and will be starting at the 6 barring injury or suspension.  Sounds like Pukstas and Paredes definitely won't be joining until the knockouts so there will be some reshuffling, particularly in Game 1 when Paredes and Cowell won't be available.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:42 AM, Bottlecap said:

image.png

Too bad they chose to put the games on channels that most people don’t have access to.

I get Telemundo, so I will be able to watch all of Ecuador’s matches in the tournament. Fortunately the USA plays then once.

12 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wow.  Late post.  93rd min winner - Gomez.  Fiji next.  2nf round virtually assured 

FYI. Ecuador finished 3rd at the last U-20 WC.  Pretty cool considering the US was missing a couple of their best players.

JoGo playing an inverted winger rather than a left back shows his FC Dallas Academy skilz with that game winner. 

He looks like he has added some muscle to his frame. He looked to be about 135 lbs when he headed over to San Sebastián. 

On 5/20/2023 at 7:08 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Wow.  Late post.  93rd min winner - Gomez.  Fiji next.  2nf round virtually assured 

FYI. Ecuador finished 3rd at the last U-20 WC.  Pretty cool considering the US was missing a couple of their best players.

I wouldn't go that far yet a loss today would be a disaster. But if we win then yes. Frankly we need to put a beat down on these guys for the GD race, both for the group and the off chance we end up in the 3rd pace race.

9 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Or luna making a senior team. 

That said I love luna, he is just a kid out there loving his life, I wish he was better but he cracks me up. 

I'll say this, the pieces just might be there. I see more with him than I do with Nipple and probably a motor that has more go.

Nice one there Cowell!!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I'll say this, the pieces just might be there. I see more with him than I do with Nipple and probably a motor that has more go.

Nice one there Cowell!!

I would be all for a Luna super sub energy at some point. But with Aaronson already kind of blocked I don't see it anytime soon. 

I would love to see him on some of these B/C teams though. The energy is there for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

never seen a us side strike from outside the box like this

3 of 3 goals from range

interesting tournament run possibly setting up here

its so nice to see us play through the middle instead of whipping everything in the the box from the wings. can't wait to rinse US soccer from berhalterball and his ilk

mcbride and stewart made the decision to play a continental 343 but we never actually did it - the lineup graphic said 343 but it was kick and rush down the sides - the whole idea was our euros would be able to slide in to the formation - abject fail

also think our failure to use the middle real estate is due to not playing a real "4" in the 343 - we gave pulisic the 10 shirt 5 years ago and never fucking gave him the keys

found this on reddit - about the Pacific qualifying tournament. 

Not really related to this game, but when looking at Fiji's qualifying tournament I stumbled across some fuckery that puts CONCACAF to shame.

It was an 11 team tournament with 2 groups of 4 and a group of 3. The top 2 in each group advanced to the quarters along with the 2 best 3rd place teams. Since the groups were uneven, the results against the 4th place team would not be included in the 3rd place standings (that's an important detail)

In Group B, Papua New Guinea just straight up didn't show up to their first 2 games and took a 3-0 forfeit. They did show up for their 3rd game, but the other team didn't, so they were awarded a win in that and finished 3rd in the group without playing a game.

In the 3 team Group C, Vanuatu also forfeited their first 2 games which in their case meant forfeiting the entire 1st round. That would typically mean elimination, but that gets us to Group A.

Cook Islands were absolutely drubbed in their first 2 games by a combined 11-0 but did close out strong with a 4-0 win against American Samoa to finish 3rd, but since it was against the 4th place team, that didn't count in the 3rd place standings. So your 3rd place standings were as follows.

Papua New Guinea 0 points, -6 goal differential

Vanuatu 0 points, -6 goal differential

Cook Islands 0 points, -11 goal differential.

Meaning the 1 team that actually participated in the group stage was eliminated.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

italia90/usa94 setup 24 teams

6 of 4

2x 3rd place advance

we're on 6 so other results confirm our advancement

I understand the advancement rules, and I get that the scenario I am about to mention is HIGHLY unlikely. BUT ...

First we need to end up in 3rd place, that's easy Ecuador d Slovakia today. Ecuador d Fiji and Slovakia d USA - that means we would be tied at 6 points. Let's also make those score fall in such a way that we are beaten on GD against both of those.

So that would put us in 3rd place with 6 points - normally a lock. But right now Groups C-F can also have their groups finish with teams 1-3 tied at 6 points, and then is comes down to GD as you would have 5 teams in the 3rd place group.

And again, I get it, that's not likely, because it involves specific outcomes at this point. But I'm just saying MAYBE.

So it turns out the US hasn't qualified for the KO round yet. It would take that seriously crazy set of events for them to not advance (18 games need to finish in specific ways for 5 groups of 6-6-6-0 AND they would need the lowest GD of all 3rd place teams), but it is possible.

I would say they are virtually assured advancing and likely will secure a next round birth before their next game.

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

found this on reddit - about the Pacific qualifying tournament. 

I wonder what caused those teams to not be able to travel? That's pretty weird.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

So it turns out the US hasn't qualified for the KO round yet. It would take that seriously crazy set of events for them to not advance (18 games need to finish in specific ways for 5 groups of 6-6-6-0 AND they would need the lowest GD of all 3rd place teams), but it is possible

Yeah I thought I was taking crazy pills but it appears the worst we can do is being the fifth best third place team. Of all the possible scenarios there’s only one where we don’t advance.

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I wonder what caused those teams to not be able to travel? That's pretty weird.

Here's all I've been able to find: https://footballoceania.com/2022/09/08/vanuatu-and-png-to-miss-first-u19-match/

Vanuatu said they couldn't get all of the visas in time. PNG said nothing (riiight).

Oh hai it appears OFC and CONCACAF are collaborating!

As part of the MoU, both parties undertake to strengthen their cooperation and dialogue, with an aim to develop football in their respective territories and to focus on matters of common interest.

This will include sharing knowledge and experience on areas such as administration/management, development of competitions, training camps, women’s football, coaching, refereeing, education, corporate and social responsibility.

https://footballoceania.com/2022/10/21/ofc-and-concacaf-to-collaborate/

OFC learning from the masters I suppose.

There are clear rules on teams forfeiting games. But at this point it is obvious that 3-0 losses are not enough. They should increase these margins to 9-0 or something similar (conceding a goal every 10 minutes of play for example). 

Cowell did an interview this morning: