Rank Big 3 cable news

which is your favorite, rank them, and give a semblance of a reason for each: CNN, MSNBC, FOX. 

1. CNN - 40 years of watching and can't say enough good things.  Honest, moderate, don't shout down opponents and on the scene ASAP for all major events with in depth reporting. A little left of center , but not too far, fits my political views very well. 

2. MSNBC - bless their efforts but too much emphasis on the far far left social issues, not that interested, but overall good.

3. FOX - juvenile uneducated screamers, yellow journalism, appeals to psychopaths. 

remember, give reasons. 

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

This.  There is zero reason in 2023 to turn on any one of them unless it's maybe to follow a breaking story.  

yet CR people regularly watch FOX and CNN.  If they hate CNN so much, why watch the Trump show last night at all??? If you hate Fox , why watch Hannity or Tucker?   

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

yet almost everyone here watches all 3, but no one will answer the OP question.. hmmmm

I have never turned on any of those channels for more than a second. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4

They're all garbage.  And lazy.  There's no actual investigative journalism.  It's all commentators opining about one or two top stories of the day, and ignoring the rest of the world.

But if I had to rank:

1. MSNBC--yes, it's to the left.  But there is some actual journalism on occasion, probably through NBC News

2.  CNN

3. Fox---solely "entertainment" trafficking in misinformation and grievances.

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

yet CR people regularly watch FOX and CNN.  If they hate CNN so much, why watch the Trump show last night at all??? If you hate Fox , why watch Hannity or Tucker?   

The trump show was bullshit.  A.  They shouldn't have been giving someone who tried to overthrow the government a platform to spout lies.  B.  And this goes with ranking the networks, a "journalist" trying to confront someone isn't journalism.  Their job shouldn't be to score points off subjects.  It's to uncover and let us know what's going on in the world.  The trump show did none of that.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

yet almost everyone here watches all 3, but no one will answer the OP question.. hmmmm

I doubt this is true, actually. You should have made a poll.

I share the general sentiment of the thread. I don't watch any of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

but you watch, admit it. 

I actually don't, ever. The closest I'll come is seeing clips on twitter. 24 hour news isn't news, it's entertainment. Fox also happens to be propaganda, which the others can at least honestly say they aren't, but they're not news.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Dog shit, dog shit, and more dog shit. 

This.

They aren't even fucking news any more.  It's all about running their agendas.  They suck.

I MIGHT turn them on if something incredibly significant happens, and I still flip between networks to try and triangulate in on the truth.   otherwise fuck that nonsense.  All it is is stirring the pot and continual agitation.

Geeze...i wonder why so many people are pissed off all the time...

"we report...you ignite!"

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I doubt this is true, actually. You should have made a poll.

I share the general sentiment of the thread. I don't watch any of them.

include Cloak Room in the poll

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I actually don't, ever. The closest I'll come is seeing clips on twitter. 24 news isn't news, it's entertainment. Fox also happens to be propaganda, which the others can at least honestly say they aren't, but they're not news.

This. Anyone who watches 24 hour news on a regular basis is going to suffer from brain rot. I only turn it on for major breaking news (i.e., J6) and election night coverage. In that case, I'll primarily watch CNN and flip over to MSNBC during breaks. I've never watched Fox except for clips posted on the internet and even then I usually can't make it through the entire clip before shutting it down.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

which is your favorite, rank them, and give a semblance of a reason for each: CNN, MSNBC, FOX. 

1. CNN - 40 years of watching and can't say enough good things.  Honest, moderate, don't shout down opponents and on the scene ASAP for all major events with in depth reporting. A little left of center , but not too far, fits my political views very well. 

2. MSNBC - bless their efforts but too much emphasis on the far far left social issues, not that interested, but overall good.

3. FOX - juvenile uneducated screamers, yellow journalism, appeals to psychopaths. 

remember, give reasons. 

I don’t think you know where the center is anymore. CNN is right of center. MSNBC is left of center. Fox is far right fascist propaganda 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, royiv said:

This. Anyone who watches 24 hour news on a regular basis is going to suffer from brain rot. I only turn it on for major breaking news (i.e., J6) and election night coverage. In that case, I'll primarily watch CNN and flip over to MSNBC during breaks. I've never watched Fox except for clips posted on the internet and even then I usually can't make it through the entire clip before shutting it down.

The last time I even really watched cable news on an election night was 2016. I probably watched Kornacki for 30-second segments here and there in 2020, but I mostly followed Dave Wasserman on twitter. That was much healthier for my liver.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I have probably watched 15 minutes of CNN this calendar year, 5 minutes of which was last night before "noping out". That 15 minutes is still more than I have watched the other two channels listed in the OP.

I think you vastly overestimate how many people watch/consume the bullshit on the channels listed in the OP. This is a country of 300M+ and 2.6 million tuned in for Cucker's last broadcast. Not insignificant, but that figure pales in magnitude and influence to the misinformation being served up online.  Dont get me wrong, lots of people are still consuming lots of bullshit, but every day that goes by, the influence of those network news channels dissipates.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think you know where the center is anymore. CNN is right of center. MSNBC is left of center. Fox is far right fascist propaganda 

CNN has very clearly and intentionally been run to cater to center-right viewers for at least a decade now. Only a Republican would think they're liberal. 

12 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

This is a huge assumption. And wrong. First, I don't watch FOX except for very small snippets during breaking news to see what they are (aren't) reporting. That is pretty much it. I don't sit down and watch any of their shows for what it's worth, and I doubt most people here do either. Who needs the fucking heartburn? I have plenty of threads here that can give me the gist without sacrificing my downtime at home with  my family. This is a bad assumption. FOX fucking sucks.

Also, it's wrong to assume most folks here watch CNN. I'm sure a chunk watch MSNBC. 

As for why watch the Trump show last night...because this motherfucker is the defacto republican nominee for president, and it's important to know not only what he says, but how he says it. Sticking your fucking head in the sand like an Ostrich and "refusing to pay attention to politics" like so many on here claim is a fast way to have no clue the risks this nation faces in not voting. And you know what, that motherfucker was worse by a factor of 5 last night than he was just 2 years ago. Same lies, same bullshit, same narcissism, but cranked to 100 because of his own shame and narcissistic grievances. Just like I think people should see the gory pictures of victims of school shootings up close, I think people should see that grissly motherfucker live for what he is as well.

And for the record, I watch CNN. MSNB is too far left for, which leaves CNN. Because PBS doesn't have 24 hour news. But you know what? I know CNN also fucking sucks, and it sucks way worse under new leadership than it does just a year ago, and I can notice the fucking difference. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Cool.

Where do you go for news?

Dennison, this thing you're using to post on this here message board? You know, the internet? There's a whole lot of news sources available on this thing where people can get better (and worse) information than they get from cable news.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

This is a country of 300M+ and 2.6 million tuned in for Cucker's last broadcast

I was actually going to follow up with this as well. The math is pretty obvious, the vast majority do not watch cable news.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Cool.

Where do you go for news?

NPR on the drive. NYT online whenever I'm on the shitter.

New Yorker Magazine (actual paper copies snail mailed to my house), although I'm usually a few months behind.

Links on surly.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1

None of the above.

I'll get mine from aggregator sites like reddit or Google News. That at least gets me to the articles, and then I'll go to the source and suss out how reliable they are.

The less opinion, the better. I get all my opinions from here.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Dennison, this thing you're using to post on this here message board? You know, the internet? There's a whole lot of news sources available on this thing where people can get better (and worse) information than they get from cable news.

Then it should be really easy for Ana to name some of them.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I was actually going to follow up with this as well. The math is pretty obvious, the vast majority do not watch cable news.

there was a time, pre-internet, where you had to appear on network TV if you wanted to get your message out to large numbers of people. Now you can just upload shit to twitter, fb, insta and instantly get more reach than dealing with network TV. People have to consciously sit down and watch network TV with zero knowledge of exactly what they see and when they see it. Contrast this with the internet that will proactively push information to a phone that matches the interests that the user has specifically requested, or is pushed based on data collection and algorithms. The efficacy of the targeted "push" of information is orders of magnitude greater than the outdated format of broadcast TV. 

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a huge assumption. And wrong. First, I don't watch FOX except for very small snippets during breaking news to see what they are (aren't) reporting. That is pretty much it. I don't sit down and watch any of their shows for what it's worth, and I doubt most people here do either. Who needs the fucking heartburn? I have plenty of threads here that can give me the gist without sacrificing my downtime at home with  my family. This is a bad assumption. FOX fucking sucks.

Also, it's wrong to assume most folks here watch CNN. I'm sure a chunk watch MSNBC. 

As for why watch the Trump show last night...because this motherfucker is the defacto republican nominee for president, and it's important to know not only what he says, but how he says it. Sticking your fucking head in the sand like an Ostrich and "refusing to pay attention to politics" like so many on here claim is a fast way to have no clue the risks this nation faces in not voting. And you know what, that motherfucker was worse by a factor of 5 last night than he was just 2 years ago. Same lies, same bullshit, same narcissism, but cranked to 100 because of his own shame and narcissistic grievances. Just like I think people should see the gory pictures of victims of school shootings up close, I think people should see that grissly motherfucker live for what he is as well.

And for the record, I watch CNN. MSNB is too far left for, which leaves CNN. Because PBS doesn't have 24 hour news. But you know what? I know CNN also fucking sucks, and it sucks way worse under new leadership than it does just a year ago, and I can notice the fucking difference. 

This is me. I turn on CNN for breaking news type events, election nights and hurricane coverage -- that's my favorite. Ed Lavandera is also a friend and he does good work for them based in Dallas/North Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I used to watch CNN every day but since I dropped cable a couple of years ago, it's a pain to watch. I know someone's password to watch online if I really want to. As for Fox News or MSNBC, I don't think I've watched a program on their channel in over 10 years.  I will watch a clip or short segment if the topic interests me, or I want to laugh at them. 

I don't think I can name a MSNBC anchor outside of Rachel Maddow. I'm sure I know them but I don't know they have a regular show.

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Anyone with a modicum of critical thinking skills should have no issues processing information from any of the Big Three, or any other news source for that matter.

Therein lies the problem.

I'm not white knighting Anastasis here, but this terrible thread needs only one villain, and the OP is clearly it.

Edited by softlynow
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

No kidding. I don't even have cable. 

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched cable TV outside seeing it on at my folks house or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, softlynow said:

I'm not white knighting Anastasis here, but this terrible thread needs only one villain, and the OP is clearly it.

Damnit softly, don't you fucking take this opportunity away from me!

DD lecturing anyone at anytime about critical thinking, but especially when it comes to "news" media, is hilarious though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Only time I ever watched CNN with any regularity (that goes for the rest of them, too) was during the first Gulf War.  I was a dumb 24-25 year-old that was enchubbened by the warmongering.  

I don't think there'd really been anything like it before.

As stated elsewhere, I much prefer to read my news.  And in this day and age, I fact-check pretty much everything.  CNN gets some reads, and even Fox and NYP, mostly to check the latest outrage and see how quickly I can spot the propaganda.  I will say that for their online content, CNN is pretty decent about linking to source materials.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fox isn’t a news network. It’s a propaganda arm of the Republican Party masquerading as a news network. They traffic in lies and that’s what their viewership wants. The results are in and there’s no use pretending otherwise. They’re a 24-hour campaign ad. They’re Pravda for Republicans. 

• Hook 'Em 4