Rank Big 3 cable news

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

CNN has very clearly and intentionally been run to cater to center-right viewers for at least a decade now. Only a Republican would think they're liberal. 

that means you watch regularly.  CNN is hated by conservatives btw and only the very liberal believes them to be the spawn of fascism. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

that means you watch regularly.  CNN is hated by conservatives btw and only the very liberal believes them to be the spawn of fascism. 

No, it means I'm familiar with who Jeff Zucker and Chris Licht are, what their backgrounds are in and what they've publicly said about how they think CNN should present the news, and I've seen plenty of clips of CNN's coverage of shit online.

Honestly, this is a worse bit than McCroskey was doing. Are you seriously this stupid?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Damnit softly, don't you fucking take this opportunity away from me!

DD lecturing anyone at anytime about critical thinking, but especially when it comes to "news" media, is hilarious though. 

Which is why I'd like to know your trusted sources for news.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Every morning Ana goes to Abortion Every Day to read all the horror stories about women with pregnancy complications that can't get healthcare any more because of him and his friends. You know, to start his day with a smile.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fox isn’t a news network. It’s a propaganda arm of the Republican Party masquerading as a news network. They traffic in lies and that’s what their viewership wants. The results are in and there’s no use pretending otherwise. They’re a 24-hour campaign ad. They’re Pravda for Republicans. 

They’re a de facto platform for a bizarre collection of social media personalities and the “political party” for whom they carry the water have adopted that same principle as an electoral strategy. Let’s all just sit back and let them continue because they’re on their asses and from said asses do they absolutely love to tell everyone willing to listen to their feeble effluvia that they “own the libs.” Nothing guarantees consistency in failure better than when said failures are absolutely convinced of their own success.

Edited by hpslugga

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

which is your favorite, rank them, and give a semblance of a reason for each: CNN, MSNBC, FOX. 

1. CNN - 40 years of watching and can't say enough good things.  Honest, moderate, don't shout down opponents and on the scene ASAP for all major events with in depth reporting. A little left of center , but not too far, fits my political views very well. 

2. MSNBC - bless their efforts but too much emphasis on the far far left social issues, not that interested, but overall good.

3. FOX - juvenile uneducated screamers, yellow journalism, appeals to psychopaths. 

remember, give reasons. 

My Uncle’s Facebook feed and Qanon chatrooms on 8chan is where I get my news thank you very much.

All the MSM including OAN and Newsmax are full of child groomers who can’t be trusted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fox isn’t a news network. It’s a propaganda arm of the Republican Party masquerading as a news network. They traffic in lies and that’s what their viewership wants. The results are in and there’s no use pretending otherwise. They’re a 24-hour campaign ad. They’re Pravda for Republicans. 

This. The premise of this thread is flawed. 

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

which is your favorite, rank them, and give a semblance of a reason for each: CNN, MSNBC, FOX. 

1. CNN - 40 years of watching and can't say enough good things.  Honest, moderate, don't shout down opponents and on the scene ASAP for all major events with in depth reporting. A little left of center , but not too far, fits my political views very well. 

2. MSNBC - bless their efforts but too much emphasis on the far far left social issues, not that interested, but overall good.

3. FOX - juvenile uneducated screamers, yellow journalism, appeals to psychopaths. 

remember, give reasons. 

First you make me eat Taco Bell, now this?

And yes, I mean Now This… 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

List the ones that you recommend as trusted sources and I will tell you if they are on my reading list and my assessment of their trustworthiness as a source of truth, or minimally an objective and unbiased source of factual reporting. 

The reality is that in our modern world there are no new sources that have earned unquestioned trust.  They all have to be ingested through various filters of potential bias, editorializing, and in many cases journalists that simply don't understand the subject matter that they are reporting on.  The latter esp wrt lay press reporting of medical and scientific studies. 

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Honestly, this is a worse bit than McCroskey was doing. Are you seriously this stupid?

This. It's funny that McCloskey tapped out and Taco Bell tapped in to start the day shift.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it's funny that since I've been posting here, call it for 2-3 years, I can't recall everyone here posts here regularly really have anything nice to say at CNN. Like at all. Maybe the occasional compliment for an anchor or broadcaster, but in general it feels more angst and irritation at their shit policies than any kind of praise. And now all of a sudden posters showing up here trying to convince people how good and "center" CNN is, as we watch them basically become the Cable News version of BOTH SIDES. Weird fucking coincidence. 

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You *potentially* shit on a poster's news sources

Yes, I am going to shit on Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. A big fiber load fluffy shit. Because the vast vast majority of their content is garbage for garbage-brained idiots.

DD likes to ride on rhetorical merry go rounds. Don't wet your pants cause I gave him a push. He gets a thrill out of it. 

My subcriptions revolve between to NYT, Wapo, economist, and WSJ. I use google and apple as news aggregators. I also read shit from liberal leaning sources and conservative leaning sources. But as I said in my post, I don't find any of them particularly trust worthy or a source of truth.  Each one that I listed is far superior to TV news from the three stooges. But they all require filtering specific articles on the things I mentioned, and when possible, assessment of primary source material to cut through spin. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, I am going to shit on Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. A big fiber load fluffy shit. Because the vast vast majority of their content is garbage for garbage-brained idiots.

DD likes to ride on rhetorical merry go rounds. Don't wet your pants cause I gave him a push. He gets a thrill out of it. 

My subcriptions revolve between to NYT, Wapo, economist, and WSJ. I use google and apple as news aggregators. I also read shit from liberal leaning sources and conservative leaning sources. But as I said in my post, I don't find any of them particularly trust worthy or a source of truth.  Each one that I listed is far superior to TV news from the three stooges. But they all require filtering specific articles on the things I mentioned, and when possible, assessment of primary source material to cut through spin. 

While shitting on the three stooges, you are obviously aware that all of your trusted sources are also worthy objects of scorn and mockery, regardless of perceived levels of prestige.

And that's OK.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

While shitting on the three stooges, you are obviously aware that all of your trusted sources are also worthy objects of scorn and mockery, regardless of perceived levels of prestige.

And that's OK.

Right, as if every poster here didn't know where your little merry go round was gonna stop.

BTW, If you subscribe to the NYT, be sure to get the NYT Cooking add-on.  It is the most reliable content on the site. 

Edited by Anastasis

I watch MSNBC when I watch TV during news events. As described above, the news networks you name aren't really much into presenting or investigating anything other than a narrow spectrum of news. Any story is immediately fed into the panel shows to discuss political implications and little else. We have a mass shooting every few days, and the talking heads can't broaden the discussion from the AR-15. The gun should be outlawed, but I think it's more important to explore what it is about this place that generates pointless murder sprees.

CNN has been sharp in White House coverage. Acosta was outstanding in the press room and reporting from the lawn. Wolf, Anderson, Lemon, and the rest pretty much bore me.

I can only be sprayed by FOX's gasoline hose for a few minutes before the fumes and coming match force me away. Their stock in trade is anger and they generate it against people who don't deserve it or attract it from people like me. It's not news in the least. It's a cancer on civic discourse.

MSNBC has excellent hosts who always know their material. They include a number of ex-GOPs or alienated GOPs for balance. They don't give MAGAs much airtime which means they don't tolerate lying, malicious idiots. I think that policy is good. If I'm new to a topic, Maddow is always a great primer. She repeats herself too much, but I admire her mind and manner.

If the networks are offering a snippet of news followed by gushers of analysis, I choose MSNBC because their shows quote news sources and have the reporters on to fill out the story. When I watch, I find them thorough. I don't watch it for this reason, but they fill the screen with smart women during big events. They're outstanding.

If I turn on that channel and see this:

spacer.png

I'm not going anywhere. Their discussions about anything always grab me. 

But, I only watch TV news during big news events. I watch nothing regularly. I've had a feed from the WaPo that I'm changing to the NYT (both are good) I'm letting my New Yorker subscription lapse for awhile. I subscribe to Atlantic and an giving Vanity Fair another chance after dropping them after they changed editors.

In other words:

1. MSNBC
  2. CNN
  3. FOX (like rating a cat at a dog show)
Edited by RomaVicta
Fucking subject-verb agreement.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1. Read AP, Reuters, and BBC most days.

2. Every few weeks check the cable website headlines to understand what the crazy people in my life are ranting about.

3. Every month or so check the social media of my crazy town acquaintances to see what’s about to filter to the cable sites

4. There are a handful of folks here and elsewhere that I respect as thoughtful people and I’ll read what they link as well.

5. Occasional chats with porta potty girl so I know what’s coming down the pike.

6. Avoid listening to Trump’s demonic voice or even reading his words at all costs — I haven’t heard him speak more than two consecutive words since 1/6. Life is a little bit better.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You can rank them but depends on what criteria for journalism it’s MSNBC (maddow mostly (I know she’s scaled back), CNN (invented the electoral county map journalism), Fox. But as a lot they rank in the bottom quartile of worthy journalism outlets. 

1. Reuters.com

2. BBC.com

3. CNN has been tolerable for the last few years, but I don't think that'll be the case going forward.  And I occasionally tune into MSNBC and Fox just to know what 80% of Americans are being force-fed.  American news sources are all full of shit.

On 5/11/2023 at 4:46 PM, RomaVicta said:

I watch MSNBC when I watch TV during news events. As described above, the news networks you name aren't really much into presenting or investigating anything other than a narrow spectrum of news. Any story is immediately fed into the panel shows to discuss political implications and little else. We have a mass shooting every few days, and the talking heads can't broaden the discussion from the AR-15. The gun should be outlawed, but I think it's more important to explore what it is about this place that generates pointless murder sprees.

CNN has been sharp in White House coverage. Acosta was outstanding in the press room and reporting from the lawn. Wolf, Anderson, Lemon, and the rest pretty much bore me.

I can only be sprayed by FOX's gasoline hose for a few minutes before the fumes and coming match force me away. Their stock in trade is anger and they generate it against people who don't deserve it or attract it from people like me. It's not news in the least. It's a cancer on civic discourse.

MSNBC has excellent hosts who always know their material. They include a number of ex-GOPs or alienated GOPs for balance. They don't give MAGAs much airtime which means they don't tolerate lying, malicious idiots. I think that policy is good. If I'm new to a topic, Maddow is always a great primer. She repeats herself too much, but I admire her mind and manner.

If the networks are offering a snippet of news followed by gushers of analysis, I choose MSNBC because their shows quote news sources and have the reporters on to fill out the story. When I watch, I find them thorough. I don't watch it for this reason, but they fill the screen with smart women during big events. They're outstanding.

If I turn on that channel and see this:

spacer.png

I'm not going anywhere. Their discussions about anything always grab me. 

But, I only watch TV news during big news events. I watch nothing regularly. I've had a feed from the WaPo that I'm changing to the NYT (both are good) I'm letting my New Yorker subscription lapse for awhile. I subscribe to Atlantic and an giving Vanity Fair another chance after dropping them after they changed editors.

In other words:

1. MSNBC
  2. CNN
  3. FOX (like rating a cat at a dog show)

MSNBC also has John Meacham and Doris Kearns Goodwin as contributors. Whenever they’re guests on Morning Joe or Deadline White House with Nicolle Wallace (mrowr), I’ll stay tuned to hear what they have to say. I’m not sure if any of the other networks regularly have historians on to provide historical context to a story and I’m a fan of both of them. 

He was asking about those 3 if it’s any news source they don’t make the list except on election night or Maddow has something amazing. PBS, NPR, BBC world, the newswires, Texas standard, Texas tribune, Texas observer, and then some historical newspapers or magazines online. Really anything that might involve more than a 5 min report and avoid opinion. Right now listening to a report on Egyptian poverty. That shit isn’t ever making the big 3. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

You can rank them but depends on what criteria for journalism it’s MSNBC (maddow mostly (I know she’s scaled back), CNN (invented the electoral county map journalism), Fox. But as a lot they rank in the bottom quartile of worthy journalism outlets. 

I agree in terms of journalism. I favor MSNBC because they provide what is essentially a clipping service with their analysis. As I wrote above, they're good about having actual journalists appear rather than merely lazily paraphrasing them. If the top quartile of outlets fold, these networks will have no grist.

It's a precarious situation. I was moved to subscribe to a couple of magazines and a newspaper to keep actual reporting alive.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

remember, give reasons. 

Fox News asked the question "What if we turned the national political scene into a pro-wrestling show, with good guys and bad guys, ignored the actual news, and aimed it right at the lizard brains of older Americans?  Could we make money?"  The answers was yes.  How they made that much money selling pillows is beyond me.

Other people noticed that Fox was making a lot of money doing this, but the liberal market was there for the taking.  MSNBC was born.  Truthier than Fox, but it was a clone aimed at folks who hated Fox.

CNN then noticed that while they had built a worldwide empire to cover legitimate news, their audience had dwindled to just people waiting to catch a flight.  So they pivoted.  And now they suck too.

All three mostly cover DC as a soap opera, interrupted only by wall to wall coverage of a soap-opera like trial.  They are not news networks.  CNN used to be the standard, but truthful, boring news can't keep the eyeballs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1