who are the real freaks of Texas Football (aside from Cleve Bryant)

shadow_operative

21 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For me the absolute freaks we've had this century are:

Vince Young
Derrick Johnson
Sergio Kindle
Roy Williams
Bijan Robinson
Jamaal Charles
Brian Robison
Earl Thomas

I agree with the Kelvin Banks above but I am in wait and see mode until their career is finished. 

Ramonce Taylor needs to be on any list of UT freaks. Wish he played more for us.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Not a cat said:

And then the next year against Auburn at DKR he ran down Bo Jackson and knocked him out of the game with a separated shoulder.

Yes, I almost typed that as well.  The funny thing to me is that whenever that game is replayed on whichever network ESPN owns, the tape of Jerry knocking out Bo has disappeared.  According to ESPN it never happened.  Texas freak beats one of the all-time great freaks of nature in Bo.  I don't know how many other one-on-one occurrences like that happened.

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Interestingly (or not) my freshman roommate got crossways with Hadnot over a girl and Butch was giving him hell on the phone one night in Jester. My roommate, considerably bigger than me but a pretty boy, threw me the phone and I threatened to kick Butch’s ass if he didn’t leave us alone. Never heard from Butch again. 

It was way scarier when a BIG black girl (like 6’2” 275 big) we called Grendel chased the roommate into the room and under the desk. Which she then tried to rip out if the wall. 😂😂

They were roughly the same size, but Nobis was 25 years older so in his day I'd say he was probably abnormal for his era. 
I am a huge Britt Hager fan and I was in school roughly the same time as him and he was a bad motherfucker . But you said best MLB and there's simply no way there was or will be a more productive MLB at Texas or possibly anywhere else than Nobis , especially considering how different the game is. Nobis AVERAGED almost 20 tackles a game, was 3x All SWC, 2x All American, and was not only the #1 overall pick in the draft he was the first pick in the history of the Atlanta Falcons franchise. Absolutely no disrespect to Britt, DJ or any others but Nobis's career will not be duplicated ever. 

Back then players were assigned/played positions playing on both sides of the LOS. Nobis actually got post-season acclaim as an OL after his Sophomore season, as Freshman were ineligible. I’ve heard that story more than I can count, as he knocked my Dad down on the depth chart.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Why would you assume I meant DJ? I might have been thinking of another Johnson.

Seriously, I wasn’t paying attention to the M part. Lol

I say that but he played in the middle plenty. Especially in 3rd down situations. 
He wasn’t your typical MLB like Nobis even though he grew into that in the NFL

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Yes, I almost typed that as well.  The funny thing to me is that whenever that game is replayed on whichever network ESPN owns, the tape of Jerry knocking out Bo has disappeared.  According to ESPN it never happened.  Texas freak beats one of the all-time great freaks of nature in Bo.  I don't know how many other one-on-one occurrences like that happened.

Yeah, that omission pisses me off. They don’t even mention why Bo is no longer in the game. It’s suddenly just Tommy Agee and Lionel James running the ball. 

• Like 2

Yeah, that omission pisses me off. They don’t even mention why Bo is no longer in the game. It’s suddenly just Tommy Agee and Lionel James running the ball. 

I was at that game. I always bought a flag /pennant of the opposing team to hang in my room. Auburn’s had a “War Eagle” on it, so I asked my Dad (I was in Junior High at time), why was that on my pennant, because they were Tigers. He just said it was crazy and watch the game - enough said!

Hook’em!!!
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Orakpo 

Roy

Leonard Davis

Earl Thomas

Robison

Bijan

Theres some others that could make the list but these to me are the guys that truly fit the meaning

Is it just assumed that VY is the ultimate freak and therefore not even necessary to mention? explain yourself.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, shadow_operative said:

ced griffin saving our bacon in columbus >>>

Was that the hit on the TE in the endzone?  If so , huge play.  That, and the Limas catch were so nails.  I was there that night and for me, it was the best game Ive seen live.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Is it just assumed that VY is the ultimate freak and therefore not even necessary to mention? explain yourself.

I just don’t really include QBs in this kinda list. VY was the greatest ever because of the athleticism, brain, leadership, etc. To me the freaks are more about just the athleticism. If they had VYs intangibles we would just talk about them as GOATs instead of freaks

• Hook 'Em 1

What Shipley and Quan did their last years was crazy 

The games D’Onta had with our “Baylor” (Sterling) OC who just checked to runs when we outmanned others in the box was great

what John Harris did his senior year as WR with Swoopes/Ash(?)as QB was dumb

Jamaal’s second half of his junior year was stupid how he dominated

Desean Hales is 1st team all Program in spring games

Sherrod Harris with 80 yd run in Spring game is best rope a dope

the fact Nobis is not a Hall of Famer in the Nfl is weird just because Atlanta always sucked

Blake Gideon assaulted CW reporter Annaka Chesnutt during college and never got kicked off team

These are my drunk thoughts and mine only

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:45 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don’t know if he’s been mentioned yet but Casey Hampton was an absolute freak. Guys that big just aren’t supposed to move like that. And the scary thing is that Shaun Rogers playing next to him might have been an even bigger athletic freak. 

Rogers used to throw down dunks in IM basketball (can’t believe Mack let him play). The 2000 DL also included Cory Redding and Cole Pittman. They made Bull Reese look good. 

Edwin Simmons was a freak and would have been great if he could have stayed healthy and out of backyards.  He was a long strider and looked like a man amongst boys in his first season.  I remember when I first saw him touch the ball, he took a kickoff to the endzone.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, NWAustinDude said:

Fine to list freak players, but I like to think of all-time freak plays, just as CTJ listed some of Vince's panty droppers.

Given how critically important this was, here's a freak play that may top the defensive freak plays of all time.

spacer.png

The freakish part of that wasn't even the catch, or the fact that he came all the way across the field to make the catch. It was getting his foot down in the end zone, and not on the 6 inch line.

https://www.facebook.com/Horns247/videos/michael-griffin-int-vs-usc/2175221345828316/?scrlybrkr=403c49c4

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:45 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don’t know if he’s been mentioned yet but Casey Hampton was an absolute freak. Guys that big just aren’t supposed to move like that. And the scary thing is that Shaun Rogers playing next to him might have been an even bigger athletic freak. 

goddamint, literally the second I post, I see this.