who are the real freaks of Texas Football (aside from Cleve Bryant)

shadow_operative

On 5/12/2023 at 1:35 PM, LTtxfan said:

Freak = Eric Metcalf 🤘

Putting browns highlights first.  

🚨Turn off the sound on this video... 🚨

that's love man, and it's beautiful, "you've got the moves that turn me on.... the deeper and deeper I fall in love, you've got the moves that move me so much, you've got the touch." and the 80's synthesizer just makes it such a great heisman promo. no wonder he won it that year. wait.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:21 AM, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

he's faster and stronger than Nobis and very productive on the field, not just physical metrics. 

stronger??? That was what made Nobis a freak. More productive??? Hager was nowhere near as strong as Nobis....and production?....over 20 tackles a game for his career?....My God man!. What kind of production do you want from a MLB? Oh, and that little deal of Nobis making AA as an O-Lineman might have been considered productive as well.

DJ was God like, but Nobis was God. The crime in the whole deal was naming the best LB award the Butkis award instead of the Nobis award. Nobis had twice the college career Butkis did 

• Hook 'Em 1

Miami came to DKR in the early 80’s. Kenneth Sims promptly tore Jim Kelly’s non tear away jersey off him. They made some scrub Hurricane player give up his jersey to  Kelly. Announcers thought Kelly had been knocked out of the game. I knew better since I had drawn first row tickets in the student section. Couldn’t see the field very well, so I spent the game heckling the players. Especially the dude who had to give up his jersey. 
Later that night K. Sims walked into Renegade and I was shocked at how huge he was. Definitely a Freak. 

• Drool 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:52 AM, shadow_operative said:

was just watching a Bijan Robinson highlight reel and said "what a freak" aloud which led me to wondering about this. on the one hand, the label "freak" should not be handed out gratuitously, but at the same time we've had more than our fair share of truly freakish players here. i'm particularly looking forward to some of our resident olds elucidating us soon-to-be-olds on players from the 60's and 70's. 

so, with that said, here are guys from my time watching Texas Football who to me fit the the bill of a Freak:

leonard davis

eric metcalf

derrick johnson

roy williams

ricky williams

vince young

ramonce taylor 

bijan robinson

earl campbell

brian orakpo

casey hampton

shaun rogers

brian robison

guys i'm on the fence about:

•bryant westbrook

•jermichael finley (with a different OC he's a freak)

•tony brackens 

•quentin jammer (playing all 5 db spots at his size is unfair)

•jamaal charles- he might be a freak, and the fact that i of all people didn't automatically include him might just me "trying to be objective" 

is there anyone i'm missing from this era? who else to you was a legit freak at Texas? 

Really good list.

Jamaal is definitely one.

Earl Thomas was an eraser.  Best DB of the Mack era, IMO.

A couple guys who were freaks but off the field stuff -- Erik Hardeman and Michael Williams (DE/Edge).  I think Hardeman would have been an All Big 12 guy and Michael Williams had HOF-type talent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Hardeman averaged 43 yards per kick return his junior year PHS, so teams just stopped kicking off inbounds altogether against Pville. alex okafor was a top 15 overall HS player, a US Army AA, then a unanimous AA at Texas, followed by a long career in the NFL, and there is not a soul from pville who thinks that Okafor was even close ti the player that Erik was. ask any of Erik's teammates from his short time at Texas- he was one of a kind. 

i've posted this before with the caveat that these are not my words, but i once talked to an OL who was there when Erik was there and he said that Erik as a true freshman was already better than Ced B. even if you don't believe the guy, it just goes to show how freaky E Man was.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Hardeman averaged 43 yards per kick return his junior year PHS, so teams just stopped kicking off inbounds altogether against Pville. alex okafor was a top 15 overall HS player, a US Army AA, then a unanimous AA at Texas, followed by a long career in the NFL, and there is not a soul from pville who thinks that Okafor was even close ti the player that Erik was. ask any of Erik's teammates from his short time at Texas- he was one of a kind. 

i've posted this before with the caveat that these are not my words, but i once talked to an OL who was there when Erik was there and he said that Erik as a true freshman was already better than Ced B. even if you don't believe the guy, it just goes to show how freaky E Man was.

I remember how good EH was as a receiver.

Really good list.
A couple guys who were freaks but off the field stuff -- Erik Hardeman and Michael Williams (DE/Edge).  I think Hardeman would have been an All Big 12 guy and Michael Williams had HOF-type talent.  

What about Mike Williams the wr or whatever that guys name was?

On 5/17/2023 at 9:32 AM, troph said:

that's love man, and it's beautiful, "you've got the moves that turn me on.... the deeper and deeper I fall in love, you've got the moves that move me so much, you've got the touch." and the 80's synthesizer just makes it such a great heisman promo. no wonder he won it that year. wait.

believe it or not, as terrible as that song choice was, the cleveland gm said that that video helped influence him to draft eric.

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

believe it or not, as terrible as that song choice was, the cleveland gm said that that video helped influence him to draft eric.

probably my all time favorite Horn. I was a kid and felt like we could win any game with him. Of course we didn't do so well, but he was my version of MJ wearing burnt orange back then.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:16 PM, VoteforHank said:

Miami came to DKR in the early 80’s. Kenneth Sims promptly tore Jim Kelly’s non tear away jersey off him. They made some scrub Hurricane player give up his jersey to  Kelly. Announcers thought Kelly had been knocked out of the game. I knew better since I had drawn first row tickets in the student section. Couldn’t see the field very well, so I spent the game heckling the players. Especially the dude who had to give up his jersey. 
Later that night K. Sims walked into Renegade and I was shocked at how huge he was. Definitely a Freak. 

Sims was beast. I remember him playing under felony charges for a while I think maybe that was someone else in that era.

I copied this from Facebook.

January 1, 1949: Texas fullback Tom Landry scores on a 14 yard touchdown run to help the Longhorns defeat Georgia 41-28 in the 1949 Orange Bowl. Landry carried 17 times for 119 yards. If the name sounds familiar, yes that's the same Tom Landry who went on to become a hall of fame coach with the Dallas Cowboys.

Landry was 24 years old during the 1949 Orange Bowl. His college career had been interrupted by World War II, where he served as a B-17 pilot. Landry completed a combat tour of 30 missions, and survived a crash landing in Belgium after his bomber ran out of fuel.Screenshot2023-05-27at9_48_46AM.thumb.png.4acccf22cd3a113435f9eaabad57a6b4.png

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:31 AM, Frank Drebin said:

Really good list.

this is the only footage i have of Erik. it's like 5-6 touches from the THSCA all star game in 2003. so, with such limited footage, the one thing that really stands out is his burst at his size (6'0", 215 lbs, absolutely yoked, biggest leg muscles you've ever seen). he hits the hole at top speed. he has the burst of a track star while being closer to the size of a Ced B. and by far my favorite part of his game: if he knew he was going to get tackled he *always* cut infield and just destroyed whatever defensive back that was foolish enough to try and tackle him. man i miss that dude, and i miss getting to watch him play. what could have been.