Why does the tiniest bit of power turn people into complete dicks?

NeverMarryAStripper

After living in our “forever retirement house” for 20 years, by 2015 the front yard was struggling with half the grass dying off. 
So we decided the prudent thing to do was to have our son xeriscape most of it with gravel - like we has seen in Las Vegas neighborhoods. So we & he did, but without notifying the HOA (I knew changes to the house structure itself required approval). 
It turned out very satisfactory for our tastes, and the neighbors thought it looked just fine. Not a word from the usually snoopy HOA that had sent us a couple of garbage can “violations” over the decades.

EC18A97D-5A97-490D-8960-DC12BF6B6FC6.jpeg

• Like 3

Continued from post #52:

Fast forward 7 years to 2022, and I get a notice that our xeriscaped front yard is in violation because it had not been approved by the landscaping committee. WTF? Never heard of the landscaping committee. 
It seems a new resident to the hood wanted to do the same to his yard, but was turned down by the HOA because it would have violated their rules on how much of the front could be xeriscaped. 
So apparently newbie asshole filed a complaint about my yard, “bustin” me because there was no record of my application for approval. 
The upshot was that we had to have about half of the gravel removed and replaced with sod. So now we are using a lot more water to keep it green.

Cost to me: $3,500.

402CA135-B076-4A2F-945C-0925F15C7DE3.jpeg

• Rage+1 3

Continued from post #52:
Fast forward 7 years to 2022, and I get a notice that our xeriscaped front yard is in violation because it had not been approved by the landscaping committee. WTF? Never heard of the landscaping committee. 
It seems a new resident to the hood wanted to do the same to his yard, but was turned down by the HOA because it would have violated their rules on how much of the front could be xeriscaped. 
So apparently newbie asshole filed a complaint about my yard, “bustin” me because there was no record of my application for approval. 
The upshot was that we had to have about half of the gravel removed and replaced with sod. So now we are using a lot more water to keep it green.
Cost to me: $3,500.

402CA135-B076-4A2F-945C-0925F15C7DE3.thumb.jpeg.7d041ec254d09e61076b99334810cb5a.jpeg

No HOA version of a statute of limitation on this? Were there specific rules regarding this written into whatever homeowner association agreement you must have signed or is it something they’ve decided since, and when, was there a vote regarding how much rock you can put in your yard and is there a record of it? You’re probably going to have to do what they say but after 7 years I’d probably put some minimal effort into disputing their decision. But knowing how HOA’s can be I guess you’re lucky they haven’t charged you 7 years of back fines!

6 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

No HOA version of a statute of limitation on this? Were there specific rules regarding this written into whatever homeowner association agreement you must have signed or is it something they’ve decided since, and when, was there a vote regarding how much rock you can put in your yard and is there a record of it? You’re probably going to have to do what they say but after 7 years I’d probably put some minimal effort into disputing their decision. But knowing how HOA’s can be I guess you’re lucky they haven’t charged you 7 years of back fines!

Yes, we objected..appealed, and were declined. 
The HOA president was sympathetic but claimed the board’s hands were tied by the established rules. 
At least they “approved” the new alteration without further ado. 
I could’ve gotten Thomas J. Henry on the case, but am at that stage of my life where I don’t need any hassle at all due to health reasons. 
Plus Mrs. Brat wanted it all done & over with, so we reluctantly complied and have moved on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The HOA president was sympathetic but claimed the board’s hands were tied by the established rules. 
I could’ve gotten Thomas J. Henry on the case, but am at that stage of my life where I don’t need any hassle at all due to health reasons. 
Plus Mrs. Brat wanted it all done & over with, so we reluctantly complied and have moved on.

I believe in Texas there is a 4 year statute of limitations on covenant enforcement.  So you should have told them to pound sand.  In addition, their failure to enforce that particular covenant probably rendered it unenforceable going forward.

34 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I remember something from business law about a contract arising out of the behavior of both parties.  If that many years passed without any objection from the HOA, then it seems to me their behavior would have implicitly established their approval of the change.  But I'm no lawyer.  

Also, this thread has yet to give me any lulz